It would not shock me to see the bills take Bryce Petty

AJ Cann, Jay Ajayi, Laken Tomlinson or Xavier Cooper just to name a few.

Petty is a late rounder or priority FA to me. He's a long term project that will likely go over drafted.

QBs get overdrafted because everyone is trying to find their answer at QB just like us.

If we can fill our needs in free agency I dont see why we would not take a 3rd round flyer on this guy.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wiki quote "As a junior in 2013 he took over as the starting quarterback.[4][5] He finished the year with 4,200 passing yards, 32 touchdowns and only three interceptions. He also rushed for 14 touchdowns. As a senior in 2014, he passed for 3,855 yards and 29 touchdowns along six rushing touchdowns."

His 2013 highlights are killer. Dude throws on-the-money bombs. And he plows like a fullback. No way this kid lasts till the 5th round of the draft. Highlight videos are suspect, (and im a ideot) but my first impression of Bryce Petty is very favorable.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=WwvpVOeKIcefgwSivYLoDw&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DB2-DR-NfhUw&ved=0CCkQtwIwBA&usg=AFQjCNE1aeCzXeXkIIO-VnhdV0UbwWZbQA

On further review...

He had hella protection on everyone of his 2013 TD passes. He does run like train though.

Same things I said weeks ago in a mock. Now everybody jumps on board. Same thing with the A-train. Ha.

Whaley should be fired on the spot if that happens.

I'm only telling you that Petty is highly unlikely to be around after the top 60.

While you may see him as only a late round option, more than one NFL likely sees a potential starter, which means he's a second-day pick at worst IMO.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see him land in a place like NO or Dallas, where he'd have a few years to be groomed.

I'm only telling you that Petty is highly unlikely to be around after the top 60.

While you may see him as only a late round option, more than one NFL likely sees a potential starter, which means he's a second-day pick at worst IMO.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see him land in a place like NO or Dallas, where he'd have a few years to be groomed.

Agree.

His best situation is in a place where he doesn't need to be rushed into playing.

Dallas and NO would be ideal.

He's a really good kid, very likeable and I'd hate to see him end up in a career ruining situation, e.g. NY Jets -- where he'd be thrust into the fire before he's ready

I actually see Petty as not all that different a project coming out to where EJ was. There is then the question of whether actually the "coaching" that EJ has received to this point has actually undone some of the potential that existed there in him by over complicating it and coaching him into being overly cautious.

I'm not against taking him but I don't think he is worth the pick at 50 for a team that has no first rounder and is just a few improvements away from the play-offs. I agree with many others in thinkling the learning curve would be so steep for him if he was to be brought in and asked to start day 1 of his rookie year that you would probably not be getting an upgrade on the EJ / Orton level of porduction and therefore you have missed one of your best chances to add an immediate impact player. If we had a first and could take an impact guy there then I'd say go ahead roll the dice on Petty at 50.

What I can actually see the Bills trying to do is shop their 2nd round pick to move back about 10 spots and pick up an extra late 3rd rounder or a 4th rounder unless someone they have a very high grade on is still sitting there at 50. If they do move back then Petty at 60, knowing we have 2 chances to land a 3rd round guy who can immediately contribute (maybe o-line, maybe RB, maybe safety)? I might be a little more comfortable with that.

I actually see Petty as not all that different a project coming out to where EJ was. There is then the question of whether actually the "coaching" that EJ has received to this point has actually undone some of the potential that existed there in him by over complicating it and coaching him into being overly cautious.

I'm not against taking him but I don't think he is worth the pick at 50 for a team that has no first rounder and is just a few improvements away from the play-offs. I agree with many others in thinkling the learning curve would be so steep for him if he was to be brought in and asked to start day 1 of his rookie year that you would probably not be getting an upgrade on the EJ / Orton level of porduction and therefore you have missed one of your best chances to add an immediate impact player. If we had a first and could take an impact guy there then I'd say go ahead roll the dice on Petty at 50.

What I can actually see the Bills trying to do is shop their 2nd round pick to move back about 10 spots and pick up an extra late 3rd rounder or a 4th rounder unless someone they have a very high grade on is still sitting there at 50. If they do move back then Petty at 60, knowing we have 2 chances to land a 3rd round guy who can immediately contribute (maybe o-line, maybe RB, maybe safety)? I might be a little more comfortable with that.

If Bills could find someone to dance and Petty was at 60 ?

Ps good post !

Edited by 3rdand12

I agree with most of this. I didn't see him react well to pressure but there wasn't a ton of game film on him out there. I thought what EJ put on tape in college was better than what Petty did. I would not take Petty in the second in any circumstances, just too much of a system guy, not good under pressure and in the pros he's throwing a lot more picks. But it just takes one, see Johnny Manziel.

I forget. We got one for Stevie but gave one up for Brown.

Buffalo Bills' 2015 NFL Draft picks

Round 1 pick

Round 2 pick

Round 3 pick

Round 4 pick

Round 4 pick

• Traded to Cleveland in the Watkins trade

Round 5 pick

• Acquired from Tampa Bay in 2014 draft-day trade down

Round 5 pick

Round 6 pick

Round 7 pick

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2015/1/8/7517209/buffalo-bills-2015-nfl-draft-picks-full-list

Edited by CodeMonkey

The Bills will draft a QB project in the 5th or later. Their primary job will be to knock Tuel off the roster. They will bring in a veteran QB to compete with EJ.

That'd be my plan except I'd just be looking for value in a QB pick. It would probably be 5th or later, but if the right guy was there in the 2nd or 3rd I wouldn't hesitate. I'm not sure how the Bills will have the QBs rated, but in this draft the only QB that might be a viable option as a value pick in the 2nd is Hundley and I don't think he'll make it to the Bills.

Edited by BarleyNY

He isn't as athletic, but he has good accuracy and knows where to put the ball. Even though he plays in a one-read system i've seen him throw guys open frequently with his ball placement.

He's my pick if we are taking a stab at one of these guys. I feel pretty good about him but I would still have hesitations about using the 2nd on him. not sure he last until the third though.

Petty is my pick too. Strong arm quick release and athletic enough. I think he is the best QB prospect in this draft, although that isnt saying much. 2nd rounder I would be happy with him, I can also see teams taking him in the first, maybe the top 10-15 picks even (if Blane Gabbert can go top 10 then anyone can)

He may be a project but, we really dont know with his system. He has great natural accuracy, a very fast release, makes quick decisions, and is quite mobile. I think he could beat out EJ in camp.

Draft and develop. Would take him in the second just to have him, with no expectations to see him in real game time for two to three years at least.

People forget how good RG3 was and even Dalton in their rookie years. I dont see why Petty couldnt be Dalton in year 1. And Dalton would get this team to the playoffs

One of those few improvements, and I would say the MOST IMPORTANT of those improvements, its QB. So I dont think we should rule the position out.

Edited by peterpan

Petty is my pick too. Strong arm quick release and athletic enough. I think he is the best QB prospect in this draft, although that isnt saying much. 2nd rounder I would be happy with him, I can also see teams taking him in the first, maybe the top 10-15 picks even (if Blane Gabbert can go top 10 then anyone can)

He may be a project but, we really dont know with his system. He has great natural accuracy, a very fast release, makes quick decisions, and is quite mobile. I think he could beat out EJ in camp.

People forget how good RG3 was and even Dalton in their rookie years. I dont see why Petty couldnt be Dalton in year 1. And Dalton would get this team to the playoffs

One of those few improvements, and I would say the MOST IMPORTANT of those improvements, its QB. So I dont think we should rule the position out.

I don't disagree that Quarterback is the most important area for improvement. Where I disagree is that Petty would be an upgrade as a week 1 starter. I am with Mayock I think the learning curve for him is potentially very steep indeed. I think I read he took less than 5 snaps under centre last season and he plays in an obvious one read system. Dalton, your comparison, is a lower ceiling guy but played in a pro-style offense in college so the learning curve wasn't as steep and with the best will in the world I don't think Petty has RGIII's physical gifts.

I was also clear, I am not ruling Quarterback out in the 2nd, but I doubt Petty is in the BPA category at #50 and if we are going to reach for a Quarterback in round 2 I'd prefer to trade back a few spots pick up an extra 3rd or a high 4th and and then take Petty towards the bottom end of the 2nd. If he is gone by then that's a shame but if you pick Petty at #50 I think you are realistically leaving yourself with one pick (your 3rd) to try and find a guy who could genuinely have an impact in his rookie year.

Petty is my guy as well. I guess the question is: assuming we bring in a FA QB, who is the better "project": EJ or Petty. That guy likely takes over for the FA when he is gone or if he gets injured.

EJ in the stable, draft Petty, Locker + someone else in FA = competion and development. Maybe ,maybe not..

I like this plan. Not necessary the Locker part, but the Petty + FA (I'm leaning more toward Sanchez but Locker is #2 on my FA list) + EJ should =development, and playoffs. Then again, this is the Bills. The FA QB we don't sign will go to the playoffs on another team :wallbash:

Agree.

His best situation is in a place where he doesn't need to be rushed into playing.

Dallas and NO would be ideal.

He's a really good kid, very likeable and I'd hate to see him end up in a career ruining situation, e.g. NY Jets -- where he'd be thrust into the fire before he's ready

We do in fact have new leadership and new coaches.....I wonder if the bills might see him as a project worth taking a flyer on.

I think free agency will be very telling on just how the bills feel about EJ Manuel.....if they start bringing in vet qbs then we know that they are not high on EJ

It's so hard to evaluate him because of the system he played in. He's not as good as RG3 and we see how he has struggled the last couple of years. Baylor just has wide open Wrs all the time that you rarely see in the NFL.

But for a 4th or so, why not?

I'd rather get Mallett or someone like that who has adjusted to the pro game (tight coverage , pressure, tough throws) already. We're too good now in other areas to screw around with the spread offense-to- NFL rookie QB learning curve. Need to pull a KC, get an Alex Smith type and move forward. EJ and Mallett would be a good pair to have around. Sanchez as well maybe, i think the guy has talent, upside, knows what is takes. Whether they can do it at a SB level is open, but there are only a half dozen QBs who have SB cred anyway.

He needs some work.....but he does look like a gamer

UFA pickup. don't have the picks to waste one on him