Salary Cap Thread

eball

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally good with this, that we may disagree on this point, and only time will tell. But appreciate you maintaining a positive and collegial discussion despite our differing of opinions...sad that in today's message board world, such a "thanks" has to even be stated, but it does. Regardless, whoever is wearing the red, blue, and white - I support them 100%.

I don't care who is at the parade as long as there is one :thumbsup:

I'm not understating his talent, but keep in mind he came to Buffalo at a time when the BILLS' roster was bereft of quality talent sans KW, and desperate to make Chan and Wanny's team work, the deal doesn't necessarily fit what the team will need, and want, to do in 2016 - just as a guess. Championship teams take calculated risks and those risks include letting guys go / trade / cut when their value has diminished compared to their cost. It's not anything against Mario, but the contract relative to where the team is now compared to where it was when the contract was signed. Just my opinion - not starting a fire here.

And that may very well happen, you could very much be right - but Rex's history suggests otherwise, dating back to the Ravens. This year, it's obvious he'll use the talent he has and make the most of it, largely because he has to. But with this Draft still ahead, next year's FA and Draft, I'll bet that the team moves much closer to his standard 3-4, again IMHO

Forgive me in advance, but I believe Rex Ryan would read your post and have the biggest belly laugh of his life.

Seems we're going ALL IN this year before we lose some key pieces :o

Isn't 2016 the highest cap hit for Clay? To my knowledge, it drops significantly in 2017, at which point Mario's contract will be up (and it's possible he re-signs at a much lower cost). Ideally, only 2016 needs a major cap workaround.

well, at least they are going for it. the hope is they have a franchise an average to above-average QB before the non-QB pieces start falling off

This is all they really need to win with this roster.

Forgive me in advance, but I believe Rex Ryan would read your post and have the biggest belly laugh of his life.

Forgiveness isn't necessary, but I will disagree. You may be right, but your hypothesis is largely based on your assessment of Mario Williams' value and not as much what Rex's history demonstrates. So, maybe Rex would throw turds at my statement, but I'll just wait and see what happens before I make any judgments. Simply saying, Mario Williams is a rare talent and is an elite DE in the 4-3, but if you recall, MW also said he didn't particularly care for playing the OLB in a 3-4 and it seems like a huge leap to say that Rex will undo all his years of coaching and expertise for one player....he might, and that's possible...I'm just saying, it would be against the grain for him, in reference to what he's done going all the way back to his Defensive Coordinator days with the Ravens. Just a thought....

Forgiveness isn't necessary, but I will disagree. You may be right, but your hypothesis is largely based on your assessment of Mario Williams' value and not as much what Rex's history demonstrates. So, maybe Rex would throw turds at my statement, but I'll just wait and see what happens before I make any judgments. Simply saying, Mario Williams is a rare talent and is an elite DE in the 4-3, but if you recall, MW also said he didn't particularly care for playing the OLB in a 3-4 and it seems like a huge leap to say that Rex will undo all his years of coaching and expertise for one player....he might, and that's possible...I'm just saying, it would be against the grain for him, in reference to what he's done going all the way back to his Defensive Coordinator days with the Ravens. Just a thought....

I think that Rex's scheme will look a lot like Pettine's and not the traditional 3-4. We will hear the word "multiple" about 8,000 times between now and the start to the season. Mario is not ideal in a traditional 3-4 but lining up all over the field as he did 2 years ago, he can be deadly.

I think that Rex's scheme will look a lot like Pettine's and not the traditional 3-4. We will hear the word "multiple" about 8,000 times between now and the start to the season. Mario is not ideal in a traditional 3-4 but lining up all over the field as he did 2 years ago, he can be deadly.

And bottom line...no defensive coach, ever, would not want the athletic freak that is Mario Williams playing as much as possible.

And bottom line...no defensive coach, ever, would not want the athletic freak that is Mario Williams playing as much as possible.

Really? Well, if Maroon were still here and Mario cut the cheese in a meeting or some other horrible transgression of the rules, he just might find himself sitting on the pine for a game or two and wondering WTF he's playing on Special Teams. :ph34r:

This is exactly how Rex will utilize him