Has anyone lived/worked in a National Park before?

Captain Hindsight

So how are you gonna post here?

On a more serious note, found this that might be of interest if you are thinking about making NPS a career. Not sure if it applies to your situation now or down the road, but FWIW:

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/candidate-development-programs/

Will it be a situation where after you are on the job a while, you can transfer based on seniority to a similar position at some other NPS site? That could give you a chance to move to a still beautiful but perhaps less remote location in the future (if that would help keep both you and the GF happy).

Good luck!

Rock and Chisel B-)

Thanks for the link. The job is with a private company working with several parks so some of that may not apply, but interesting stuff.

The person before me supposedly loved it and stayed for two years. The women I spoke with told me that he felt it was just time to go home to Michigan.

If the position is offered, 98% sure I will be taking it. Too rare and good of an opportunity to pass up. I'm 26, if I'm going to do something crazy, now is the time haha

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rock and Chisel B-)

Thanks for the link. The job is with a private company working with several parks so some of that may not apply, but interesting stuff.

The person before me supposedly loved it and stayed for two years. The women I spoke with told me that he felt it was just time to go home to Michigan.

If the position is offered, 98% sure I will be taking it. Too rare and good of an opportunity to pass up. I'm 26, if I'm going to do something crazy, now is the time haha

You have a great outlook. I wish you the best and hope you get the gig. Good luck, man.

Rock and Chisel B-)

Man you got that part right!

Good luck to you! You have your whole life to "settle down" and lead a boring existence questioning your will to live in an office somewhere or whatever else.

If you have a girlfriend willing to go live with you in a national park for a while, go for it! Live life, have fun, and accrue some great life experiences.

I spoke to an ex who was pretty well networked with people in this field but she couldn't gather much. The few people she has met in her life that did this usually did it just like you did and did it for a year or two before moving to the public sector with Soil & Water Districts, NRCS or BLM.

Becky, the one you met at the opener this year is trying to get ahold of a friend who is a forester out in Colorado who did something like this as an intern about 4 or 5 years ago. She is jealous of you, for what it is worth. I am, too. You're dead on right do it now while you are young. I'd even take a trip to the Caribbean with your girlfriend before you go - get a couples massage and enjoy a lavish weekend before setting out to your middle of no where heaven!

Their called logs when they get to the truck, not trees. Remote living is a lot easier these days with sat communications. When I first came to Alaska the only way to communicate if you where outside the city was a handheld aviation band radio set to 121.5[emergency] and hoping a plane was over head.

Man, woah. You are such a rugged, amazing and handsome mountain man. I envy how tough you real men outside of the lower 48 are! Whew! Not even having 4G service? Envy, I tell you.

I spoke to an ex who was pretty well networked with people in this field but she couldn't gather much. The few people she has met in her life that did this usually did it just like you did and did it for a year or two before moving to the public sector with Soil & Water Districts, NRCS or BLM.

Becky, the one you met at the opener this year is trying to get ahold of a friend who is a forester out in Colorado who did something like this as an intern about 4 or 5 years ago. She is jealous of you, for what it is worth. I am, too. You're dead on right do it now while you are young. I'd even take a trip to the Caribbean with your girlfriend before you go - get a couples massage and enjoy a lavish weekend before setting out to your middle of no where heaven!

Thanks for the info. I appreciate any and all feedback from people who are actually crazy enough to do something like this.

I don't anticipate doing this for more than two years. `Reassess after one and decide to continue or not.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate any and all feedback from people who are actually crazy enough to do something like this.

I don't anticipate doing this for more than two years. `Reassess after one and decide to continue or not.

I've been there and it's beautiful, but you know about the weather, right?

http://www.craterlakelodges.com/find-us/weather/

Crater Lake stands at an elevation of 7,100 feet. The average snowfall in winter is 533 inches. Snow pack on the ground ranges from 3 feet to 10 feet. Winter snow melt is unpredictable, but generally occurs by the first part of July.

533 inches = more than 44 feet of snow! Guess you and the GF will need to figure out some way to stay warm.

Xanterra Parks & Resorts?

I was interviewed earlier this week for a management position in a National Park. The interview went really well and I'm anticipating a second interview and possibly a job offer. The position sounds amazing but I have a few concerns about it and I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience living like this.

The women in the interview described the living quarters as "a manufactured home on wheels, with a mud room, living area and a kitchen with a bedroom.

Now to me this sounds like a trailer. Perhaps something like this.

http://oregoncottagecompany.net/cabins/another-ynez-with-a-22-long-stretch/

If it were just me, I'd be totally cool with it. I actually had an internship in a National Park in college and I lived in a tent for 3 months. So the idea of living off the grid doesn't really concern me, but my girlfriend will be coming with me. I do think she would enjoy living out west and a simple lifestyle, but I know she has some concerns (as do I).

What I am worried about is the the living situation is remote and she may not have a job. My plan is try to negotiate a position for working at the same resort in a seasonal type position but if that doesn't work out, I'm asking my girlfriend to move across the country and live in a trailer with me with no internet, cell signal, cable, (insert other creature comforts here) while I go to work everyday. More than anything I do not want her to be miserable and resent me for putting her in a bad situation.

Does anyone has experience living remotely like this? What are the challenges? What are the good parts about it? Is my girlfriend going to murder me in my sleep?

Why not ask your future employer what's available as far as phone/internet/tv where you will be housed?

From page 3 of this publ: http://www.nps.gov/crla/parknews/upload/Crater-Lake-Reflections-Summer-Fall-2012-Low-Res.pdf

Internet Wireless internet is free for guests of Crater Lake Lodge and The Cabins at Mazama Village. Public Wi-Fi is available at Crater Lake Lodge and the Annie Creek Restaurant for $4 per hour or $10 for 24 hours. Lost & Found Contact a ranger at either visitor center or call 541-594-3060. Phones Cell phone coverage in the park is unreliable. Reception depends on your location and provider. Pay phones are located outside the Mazama Village Store and inside Crater Lake Lodge.

Do they provide that housing to you or do you have to pay for it in some form, like a deduction from your paycheck? You may want to see if they have any restrictions on bringing the girlfriend, like if they're going to make you pay a little extra to have the second person there.

2nd interview! The general manager is calling me tomorrow morning!

Do they provide that housing to you or do you have to pay for it in some form, like a deduction from your paycheck? You may want to see if they have any restrictions on bringing the girlfriend, like if they're going to make you pay a little extra to have the second person there.

I'm not sure about a deduction from the paycheck. Ive read the seasonal employees pay for the dorms out of their paycheck so maybe something similar to that but I'm not sure

I've mentioned to the first person I interviewed with a few times she would be coming with me and got no indication that would be an issue

2nd interview! The general manager is calling me tomorrow morning!

I'm not sure about a deduction from the paycheck. Ive read the seasonal employees pay for the dorms out of their paycheck so maybe something similar to that but I'm not sure

I've mentioned to the first person I interviewed with a few times she would be coming with me and got no indication that would be an issue

Good luck, man. You got this!