Has anyone lived/worked in a National Park before?

Captain Hindsight

I was interviewed earlier this week for a management position in a National Park. The interview went really well and I'm anticipating a second interview and possibly a job offer. The position sounds amazing but I have a few concerns about it and I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience living like this.

The women in the interview described the living quarters as "a manufactured home on wheels, with a mud room, living area and a kitchen with a bedroom.

Now to me this sounds like a trailer. Perhaps something like this.

http://oregoncottagecompany.net/cabins/another-ynez-with-a-22-long-stretch/

If it were just me, I'd be totally cool with it. I actually had an internship in a National Park in college and I lived in a tent for 3 months. So the idea of living off the grid doesn't really concern me, but my girlfriend will be coming with me. I do think she would enjoy living out west and a simple lifestyle, but I know she has some concerns (as do I).

What I am worried about is the the living situation is remote and she may not have a job. My plan is try to negotiate a position for working at the same resort in a seasonal type position but if that doesn't work out, I'm asking my girlfriend to move across the country and live in a trailer with me with no internet, cell signal, cable, (insert other creature comforts here) while I go to work everyday. More than anything I do not want her to be miserable and resent me for putting her in a bad situation.

Does anyone has experience living remotely like this? What are the challenges? What are the good parts about it? Is my girlfriend going to murder me in my sleep?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am asking a few people about this, and will get back to you. I know some people who know some people who are in the parks and resources gigs.

No TV, phone, internet? I imagine your sex life would be spectacular.

Of course, I mean, all you can do is jerk off all day. Duh.

The NP is Crater Lake FYI

I had a hunch it was Crater Lake, OR... So cool! I was just researching it a few months ago and was thinking of going there this summer. Seems neat what they do with fishing there (I got started on it looking up the invasive angle)... Also the boat tours, Wizard Island, etc... Sounds awesome... Just don't watch The Shining if it's winter... But that was Colorado, right? :nana: Oh, it isn't gonna blow like St. Helens did? It is a caldera lake (collapsed volcano), is it still active and can blow again?... I avoided that in my research... :D:ph34r:

I would totally do it is I was young!

I was interviewed earlier this week for a management position in a National Park. The interview went really well and I'm anticipating a second interview and possibly a job offer. The position sounds amazing but I have a few concerns about it and I'm wondering if anyone else has had any experience living like this.

The women in the interview described the living quarters as "a manufactured home on wheels, with a mud room, living area and a kitchen with a bedroom.

Now to me this sounds like a trailer. Perhaps something like this.

http://oregoncottagecompany.net/cabins/another-ynez-with-a-22-long-stretch/

If it were just me, I'd be totally cool with it. I actually had an internship in a National Park in college and I lived in a tent for 3 months. So the idea of living off the grid doesn't really concern me, but my girlfriend will be coming with me. I do think she would enjoy living out west and a simple lifestyle, but I know she has some concerns (as do I).

What I am worried about is the the living situation is remote and she may not have a job. My plan is try to negotiate a position for working at the same resort in a seasonal type position but if that doesn't work out, I'm asking my girlfriend to move across the country and live in a trailer with me with no internet, cell signal, cable, (insert other creature comforts here) while I go to work everyday. More than anything I do not want her to be miserable and resent me for putting her in a bad situation.

Does anyone has experience living remotely like this? What are the challenges? What are the good parts about it? Is my girlfriend going to murder me in my sleep?

if you have to ask ...

I have no help/advice for the OP. I have family in Oregon and Seattle and have been up there 4 or 5 times in my life.

Oregon is a beautiful, beautiful place with fresh air and you always see those big logging trucks on the roads, hauling trees around.

I think it's a great part of the country and it definitely has an interesting vibe.

As to what it would be like living remotely in a little house on wheels, I don't know. I would think that would take some getting used to.

So how are you gonna post here?

On a more serious note, found this that might be of interest if you are thinking about making NPS a career. Not sure if it applies to your situation now or down the road, but FWIW:

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/senior-executive-service/candidate-development-programs/

Will it be a situation where after you are on the job a while, you can transfer based on seniority to a similar position at some other NPS site? That could give you a chance to move to a still beautiful but perhaps less remote location in the future (if that would help keep both you and the GF happy).

Good luck!

Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead