Running Backs 2015

Rocky Landing

I'd love to add a RB in the draft. I really like 5-7 RBs in this years class.

That being said, I think there's a chance Bryce Brown could be our guy. He was extremely effective catching the ball out of the backfield from what I remember of last season. Good speed and burst. Might've tried to bounce it outside too much, but when there aren't any holes, its hard to blame him. Our offensive line was the worst I've seen in a decade or so. Running backs run through holes. The Bills offense didn't have many of those last season and Bryce didn't see many snaps. Can only imagine how many running lanes he saw. I love his skillset for the position and think there's a slight chance we go with Fred, boobie and Bryce as our 3 RBs with a late pick or UDFA and don't dress him unless someone is injured like we did Bryce last season. Considering our new offense will likely include a FB, I don't think we'd keep 4 RBs and a FB on the roster. More like 3 and 1.

What are our options with Brown this season? Do you guy think we're going to keep him inactive all year again or cut him? It's my belief that Whaley really sees something in him and they may give him a shot. I hope I'm wrong, as I do like so many of the RBs in this years draft. I just don't think Doug would trade away a 4th rd pick for nothing. Time will tell, and I hope we draft a RB high. But don't be shocked if the draft comes and goes and we don't draft one with our first 3 or 4 picks

Frank gore??? Fred's been a better RB than him since he entered the league. Maybe not number wise, but he's clearly a better RB in my eyes. I watch every niner game with my best friend. He's wasn't great when he was in his prime IMO. A good RB. Nothing special. The guy falls on his face more than any RB I've ever seen. If we sign him to be our feature back, ill be sick

Frank gore??? Fred's been a better RB than him since he entered the league. Maybe not number wise, but he's clearly a better RB in my eyes. I watch every niner game with my best friend. He's wasn't great when he was in his prime IMO. A good RB. Nothing special. The guy falls on his face more than any RB I've ever seen. If we sign him to be our feature back, ill be sick

5 X pro bowler.

Rushing leader (2006)

20th all-time in rushing.

Nothing special? Jackson is better? Is he in his prime? Nope. Can you get him on a short term 2-3 guaranteed contract?Probably. Is he a short term ground and pound RB type that we need (our Shonn Greene) that would fit right into Rex's/Roman offense? Likely.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

DeMarco Murray

He's the reigning offensive player of the year in the heart of his prime. Under normal circumstances Dallas would never let him leave in FA. His contract will likely be slightly depressed due to RB values, but he's an absolute star and would be our primary weapon. Keep FJax-Bryce-Dixon for situational backups but make Murray the heart of the offense and build the run & defense team around him.

Gore has seen better days, Ingram was a scrub until he hit his contract year, we don't need to take a rookie in the 2nd-3rd round and the belief there's a bunch of rbs late is a myth. Almost all of the top backs were taken in the 2nd or 3rd round. People get high profile instances like Alfred Morris and Arian Foster in their mind and believe there's 5 1,000 yard backs in the 7th round of every draft, the simple truth is for every Morris there's multiple Ronnie Wingos who'll be lucky to make a roster.

I think the days of paying big bucks for RB's is over. You can get a good young RB in the mid rounds of the draft then dump him when his rookie deal runs out. There's plenty of good cheap options in FA as well

The pendulum has swung so far that top backs are a bargain. QBs who play all year throw between 475 to 600 passes and top RBs touch the ball 350-450 times over the year. People accept paying the Daltons/Cutlers/Kaeps of the world $20 mil a year but they balk at paying a top back $8-$10 mil. Seems the smart money for someone who doesn't have an elite QB would be to pair a cheap QB and a top line RB. Worked great for Seattle, though Wilson seems to be a top line QB.

Personally I'd rather have EJ or an Orton caliber vet paired with an elite top line RB than an overpriced "not quite there" Cutler/Dalton QB and a cheap RB, but to each his own.

I think the days of paying big bucks for RB's is over. You can get a good young RB in the mid rounds of the draft then dump him when his rookie deal runs out. There's plenty of good cheap options in FA as well

People say this but I think they neglect to realize outside of 2-3 guys you can have your pick of anyone for cheap, comparatively.

Would you rather have a top notch 300 carry back or a vet #3 receiver? They are essentially the same price. I'm not losing sleep in the debate between 3m and 5m and just want them to go get the guy that is the right fit and obviously going to succeed

The pendulum has swung so far that top backs are a bargain. QBs who play all year throw between 475 to 600 passes and top RBs touch the ball 350-450 times over the year. People accept paying the Daltons/Cutlers/Kaeps of the world $20 mil a year but they balk at paying a top back $8-$10 mil. Seems the smart money for someone who doesn't have an elite QB would be to pair a cheap QB and a top line RB. Worked great for Seattle, though Wilson seems to be a top line QB.

Personally I'd rather have EJ or an Orton caliber vet paired with an elite top line RB than an overpriced "not quite there" Cutler/Dalton QB and a cheap RB, but to each his own.

Really, who is 8-10 even? Adrian Peterson (not for long), and then McCoy and foster? Marshawns in that ballpark (just shy at the moment I believe)

That's cheaper than top guards, top safeties.... It's not a bad spot to take your shot with a perfect fit without breaking the bank ala Seattle with lynch. How many other positions can you get the guy that carries your whole side of the ball for 7.5m and argue he's overpaid? Guys like eric decker and Stevie Johnson are getting paid like forte and lynch and more than Jamal charles and frank gore in their prime

Edited by NoSaint

TJ Yeldon in the third, Heuerman in the fourth, trade a 5th and 6th for it... or run a gamble hoping he's there in the 5th.

This would be two huge value pickups that would contribute to our team for 3 or 4 years and beyond if we keep them.

I'm surprised how many posters are willing to use up draft picks on a running back, for several reasons.

First, we aren't that bad at the position, between FJ, Boobie, and Bryce B. (I'm calling Spiller gone.)

Second, there are several, first-rate backs on the market. And, as several posters have pointed out, running backs are cheap.

But, here's the real thing that bothers me the most about drafting a running back: IMO, it is one of the hardest positions to predict if a player's talent will translate into the NFL. Because, blocking in college ball (and, I admit, I don't watch a lot of college ball), is very inconsistent, and well below NFL standards. Trent Richardson comes to mind. And, Sammy Watkins, for that matter. You could watch Sammy's college highlight reel, and see that his catching ability, speed, and measurable tangibles would translate. But, you also saw him plow over some defenders, and skip around others like they were trees-- something that doesn't happen with an NFL defense. Were Sammy's YAC as spectacular as many speculated they would be?

With so few picks in this draft, I hope we will go after BPAs-- and if that means a running back, then so be it. But, with the importance being placed on our run attack next season, I think we need to be going after known commodities at running back, and offensive line.

I'm surprised how many posters are willing to use up draft picks on a running back, for several reasons.

First, we aren't that bad at the position, between FJ, Boobie, and Bryce B. (I'm calling Spiller gone.)

Second, there are several, first-rate backs on the market. And, as several posters have pointed out, running backs are cheap.

But, here's the real thing that bothers me the most about drafting a running back: IMO, it is one of the hardest positions to predict if a player's talent will translate into the NFL. Because, blocking in college ball (and, I admit, I don't watch a lot of college ball), is very inconsistent, and well below NFL standards. Trent Richardson comes to mind. And, Sammy Watkins, for that matter. You could watch Sammy's college highlight reel, and see that his catching ability, speed, and measurable tangibles would translate. But, you also saw him plow over some defenders, and skip around others like they were trees-- something that doesn't happen with an NFL defense. Were Sammy's YAC as spectacular as many speculated they would be?

With so few picks in this draft, I hope we will go after BPAs-- and if that means a running back, then so be it. But, with the importance being placed on our run attack next season, I think we need to be going after known commodities at running back, and offensive line.

Really good points, especially re: blocking. I do think Brown can run between the tackles if the OL is improved. He's a FA in 2016 though, so if they love a RB in this draft it would be good to get one in the system. SF where a roman came from seemed to draft a RB every year. This is a good RB draft. I do like Dixon as well. I believe Fred's carries will probably go down but Brown will step up. He's still really young and not a lot of tread on the tires. I agree that if the BPA is an RB, go for it. If not, don't. That said I don't think I would sign one in FA. Maybe a FB though. Edited by YoloinOhio

Never ever sign a FA RB. RB's are probably the easiest position to fill by draft and if you can build a great o-line and get a great QB to keep the defense honest, any RB can succeed. Look at the Broncos, from Knowshon Moreno, Ronnie Hillman, and CJ Anderson.

exactly! Just get a great QB and... Oh...you made it sound so easy there for a second... Edited by YoloinOhio

Never ever sign a FA RB. RB's are probably the easiest position to fill by draft and if you can build a great o-line and get a great QB to keep the defense honest, any RB can succeed. Look at the Broncos, from Knowshon Moreno, Ronnie Hillman, and CJ Anderson.

A great QB huh? Where are those just hanging out? We haven't had a competent one in 15 years.

Then why is Montee Ball garbage? Why did Maroney suck in New England? Why did Brandon Jackson and James Stark look like garbage for years in Green Bay?

There's a reason why the same backs top the rushing charts during their prime years. It's not because Jamal Charles, Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster have great QBs and olines. It's because they are grown men who are bigger/stronger/faster than the 11 guys who know they are getting the ball and still can't stop them.

Really good points, especially re: blocking. I do think Brown can run between the tackles if the OL is improved. He's a FA in 2016 though, so if they love a RB in this draft it would be good to get one in the system. SF where a roman came from seemed to draft a RB every year. This is a good RB draft. I do like Dixon as well. I believe Fred's carries will probably go down but Brown will step up. He's still really young and not a lot of tread on the tires. I agree that if the BPA is an RB, go for it. If not, don't. That said I don't think I would sign one in FA. Maybe a FB though.

Brown has never shown the willingness to run tough between the tackles. He looks like Tarzan but when the rubber meets the road he tries to race to the corner every time.

A great QB huh? Where are those just hanging out? We haven't had a competent one in 15 years.

Then why is Montee Ball garbage? Why did Maroney suck in New England? Why did Brandon Jackson and James Stark look like garbage for years in Green Bay?

There's a reason why the same backs top the rushing charts during their prime years. It's not because Jamal Charles, Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster have great QBs and olines. It's because they are grown men who are bigger/stronger/faster than the 11 guys who know they are getting the ball and still can't stop them.

Brown has never shown the willingness to run tough between the tackles. He looks like Tarzan but when the rubber meets the road he tries to race to the corner every time.

if only we could get HYDE from SF. Please oh please. Edited by YoloinOhio

People say this but I think they neglect to realize outside of 2-3 guys you can have your pick of anyone for cheap, comparatively.

Would you rather have a top notch 300 carry back or a vet #3 receiver? They are essentially the same price. I'm not losing sleep in the debate between 3m and 5m and just want them to go get the guy that is the right fit and obviously going to succeed

Really, who is 8-10 even? Adrian Peterson (not for long), and then McCoy and foster? Marshawns in that ballpark (just shy at the moment I believe)

That's cheaper than top guards, top safeties.... It's not a bad spot to take your shot with a perfect fit without breaking the bank ala Seattle with lynch. How many other positions can you get the guy that carries your whole side of the ball for 7.5m and argue he's overpaid? Guys like eric decker and Stevie Johnson are getting paid like forte and lynch and more than Jamal charles and frank gore in their prime

Perfectly said. We're talking about a guy who would ideally touch the ball 400 times and people want no part of the reigning offensive POTY. Who cares what Murray looks like in 3 years, it's not like he'll require a Mario type contract, there's a very good chance he can be signed to a deal that can be dumped in 2-3 years with little harm. Sign him, ride him hard for a year and reassess.

Freddie/Bryce/Boobie could be a perfectly fine trio. We could find a good RB in the draft. Or we could sign the reigning offensive player of the year for not much more than the cap room we'd open up by cutting Keith Rivers & Chris Williams. I know what door I'm picking but to each his own.

if only we could get HYDE from SF. Please oh please.

Whaley wanted him bad. Jeremy Hill looks like a beast too. The thing people are failing to grasp is these guys all go 2nd or 3rd round. People look at Alfred Morris and Arian Foster and think they prove studs are sitting in the 7th round every year. It's the same thing as the Brady fallacy when it comes to QBs.