Running Backs 2015

Rocky Landing

Lately it seems that the bulk of the conversation regarding our run game has centered around the O-line, and its obvious deficiencies in 2014. But, what about our running backs? There are quite a few possibilities. And, Rex/Roman are building a serious ground attack. What will our backfield look like next season?

Spiller. I think he's likely gone. With Hughs, Searcy, and Spikes also entering FA, I have to think that all three of them would be a priority over CJ.

Fred Jackson. Possibly my all-time favorite Bill. Every season he exceeds expectations. But, he'll be 34. I think he'll still be with us next season, but I have to think that his roll will be diminished.

Boobie. Love him. He'll be great.

Bryce Brown. A bit of a question mark? He's young. I remember people having high hopes for him at signing, but Marrone didn't play him much.

Then, there is free agency, and the draft. There are some very talented RBs entering free agency, including Frank Gore, Knowshon Mareno, and DeMarco Murray.

My Hope: Keep Jackson, and Boobie, Lose Spiller. Sign Moreno in FA.

I'd be very interested in TBD's opinions on this.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Lately it seems that the bulk of the conversation regarding our run game has centered around the O-line, and its obvious deficiencies in 2014. But, what about our running backs? There are quite a few possibilities. And, Rex/Roman are building a serious ground attack. What will our backfield look like next season?

Spiller. I think he's likely gone. With Hughs, Searcy, and Spikes also entering FA, I have to think that all three of them would be a priority over CJ.

Fred Jackson. Possibly my all-time favorite Bill. Every season he exceeds expectations. But, he'll be 34. I think he'll still be with us next season, but I have to think that his roll will be diminished.

Bryce Brown. A bit of a question mark? He's young. I remember people having high hopes for him at signing, but Marrone didn't play him much.

Then, there is free agency, and the draft. There are some very talented RBs entering free agency, including Frank Gore, Knowshon Mareno, and DeMarco Murray.

I don't want the Bills to waste draft picks on any RB's this year. The best case and most realistic scenerio is Frank Gore IMO.

I don't want the Bills to waste draft picks on any RB's this year. The best case and most realistic scenerio is Frank Gore IMO.

Who do you think would command a higher salary: Gore, or Mareno? From what I understand about Gore's situation in SF, they will likely be willing to bid fairly high to keep him. Moreno, on the other hand, is coming off an injury year, where he only played three games. He was impressive until his injury, and he's three years younger.

Keep same backs we had last year. Get new guards, attack will be fine. Keep spiller, Roman will find better ways to use him and he won't be a big ticket signing.

In my mind, there are too many things that Spiller is rotten at. He's terrible up the middle, and he's terrible at blocking-- two things that I think would be especially important to Roman.

I want TJ Yeldon in the second or third.

Using a second or third round pick on a RB in this draft seems ill-advised.

Edited by Rocky Landing

Who do you think would command a higher salary: Gore, or Mareno? From what I understand about Gore's situation in SF, we will likely be willing to bid fairly high to keep him. Moreno, on the other hand, is coming off an injury year, where he only played three games. He was impressive until his injury, and he's three years younger.

In my mind, there are too many things that Spiller is rotten at. He's terrible up the middle, and he's terrible at blocking-- two things that I think would be especially important to Roman.

Using a second or third round pick on a RB in this draft seems ill-advised.

Gore will be 32 in may, has an injury history, and his #'s have been declining. Why in the world would we pay anything to get him? I hear what youre saying about spiller, but with effective blocking he's shown be can break big plays up the middle. That forces defenders inside and opens up outside routes. Can also see him being better used in screens. Jackson is good at screens but he's slowing down. Not sure why people think boobie is anything special, pretty much dime a dozen NFL talent-wise

Gore will be 32 in may, has an injury history, and his #'s have been declining. Why in the world would we pay anything to get him? I hear what youre saying about spiller, but with effective blocking he's shown be can break big plays up the middle. That forces defenders inside and opens up outside routes. Can also see him being better used in screens. Jackson is good at screens but he's slowing down. Not sure why people think boobie is anything special, pretty much dime a dozen NFL talent-wise

I completely misspoke on Gore, and I corrected it on my post. I meant to say that SF will be willing to pay to keep him. I believe that Moreno will be a much better value, as well as younger.

Who do you think would command a higher salary: Gore, or Mareno? From what I understand about Gore's situation in SF, they will likely be willing to bid fairly high to keep him. Moreno, on the other hand, is coming off an injury year, where he only played three games. He was impressive until his injury, and he's three years younger.

Using a second or third round pick on a RB in this draft seems ill-advised

RB's are the cheapest position to acquire via FA so I don't want to draft any when we are already thin on draft picks this year. I don't know who would acquire more but realistically I think you can get Gore on a contract with less years guaranteed. IMO he would also fit best with both Rex and Romans philosphy in the run game. Even better I think it can realistically happen as well.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

If we are going to draft one I sure has hell hope it is not before the 5th round. I don't care how good the top guys are. You can get a good running back deeper in. Keep the premium picks in rounds 2 and 3 for other things (like a top TE). Having basically spent a 4th round pick on Brown last year, I do not want to commit that high a choice this year.

The draft this year is absolutely stacked at RB. Minus the ACL, Gurley is an Andrew-Luck-type prospect and there are about 9 or 10 guys behind him who all have a chance to be great. The way I see it, we're not going to get ourselves an elite QB this year, so why not scoop up an elite RB in the draft and let our offense run through that dude - clear things up for Sammy, EJ. Unless we're trading up for Gurley or Gordon, Tevin Coleman in the second is my pick.

The draft this year is absolutely stacked at RB. Minus the ACL, Gurley is an Andrew-Luck-type prospect and there are about 9 or 10 guys behind him who all have a chance to be great. The way I see it, we're not going to get ourselves an elite QB this year, so why not scoop up an elite RB in the draft and let our offense run through that dude - clear things up for Sammy, EJ. Unless we're trading up for Gurley or Gordon, Tevin Coleman in the second is my pick.

imo, gurley is AP/Lynch, Gordon is Jamaal Charles. For what I believe Roman wants, if Gurley is gone at 50 I think we go with the next best power back who I think is Coleman.

I still think Bryce Brown can play that role if they fix the OL, but he's a FA in 2016.

You didn't even mention the one free agent back who makes the most sense and that's Mark Ingram.

Why waste a draft pick on a back when they can sign someone like Ingram who like any other back won't cost a lot in free agency. They also already used a pick in this draft on Bryce Brown who I like but obviously didn't get much of s chance last year.

Fred to me is basically the third down passing situation back. Hate saying it but he looked slow last year. He still fights for every yard like no other player and more often the not gets the first down when they need it but I expect his role to be reduced even more next year which will most likely also be his last.

I think the days of paying big bucks for RB's is over

Way to go out on a limb there

Edited by Max997