golf fans -- is Tiger Woods done?

truth on hold

Snedeker (13), Schwartzel (96), Haas (23), Webb Simpson (40), and Kaymer (139) are all darn good players who were in the field.

FedEx rankings above...not exactly a murderer's row. Anyway, as the commercials used to say, "these guys are good." Just not as many of them played last weekend.

• 3 months later...

Amazing how quickly the body falls apart at age 40 when you take PEDs in your 20s and 30s.

I don't think it was PEDs. He was at the fore front of wanting golfers tested. I think he just over trained. I read on tournament days when be had late afternoon tee times he would lift weights and jog in the morning. Way too much on the body, especially with how hard he used to swing at it.

I don't think it was PEDs. He was at the fore front of wanting golfers tested. I think he just over trained. I read on tournament days when be had late afternoon tee times he would lift weights and jog in the morning. Way too much on the body, especially with how hard he used to swing at it.

i think it was at least in part PED's. but what a thing of sports beauty in his prime. watched him hit driver- 5 or 6 iron to the par 5, 570 yd , 18th hole at torrey pines http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/20080122/news_1s22buick.html while in his prime. routine tap in birdie. didn't even win the tourney (i think he was top 5) but even on a bad week for him he was amazing. it was almost as if the other players were shocked that they actually beat him and he was just as shocked that he didn't win. he was as dominant in his sport as anyone has ever been. but he's well and truly done.

Edited by birdog1960

he was as dominant in his sport as anyone has ever been. but he's well and truly done.

I agree with the above but with a caveat. He'll still be capable of 'moments' going forward. He will never dominate consistently, however. You know, as well as I, that every 'bad back' feels ok once in a while. If the stars align within the next five years, I think he'd still be capable of winning another major. Jack went six years before winning his last major. Heck, Tom Watson almost won the British at 59 years of age.

Right course, a 'reprieve' in terms of his physical issues, a faltering field etc. I realize it would take a lot but I could see it happening. As far as returning to a consistent top 5 player at any point....I don't think so.

I agree with the above but with a caveat. He'll still be capable of 'moments' going forward. He will never dominate consistently, however. You know, as well as I, that every 'bad back' feels ok once in a while. If the stars align within the next five years, I think he'd still be capable of winning another major. Jack went six years before winning his last major. Heck, Tom Watson almost won the British at 59 years of age.

Right course, a 'reprieve' in terms of his physical issues, a faltering field etc. I realize it would take a lot but I could see it happening. As far as returning to a consistent top 5 player at any point....I don't think so.

Man, I doubt it. His words were actually shocking. Three back procedures now, and he's only 40 -- not to mention the knee issues. I think he knows it's over and is doing everything he can to come to grips with it -- which means saying things like, "I've had a pretty good run" and "I just want to be able to play with my kids."