golf fans -- is Tiger Woods done?

truth on hold

One of the most dominant athletes ever. Sadly, I think he's regressed and not just because he's getting older. I never understood a lot of his 'soul searching' on the golf course. Guy wins a boatload of Grand slams and then radically overhauls his swing....fires multiple coaches etc. All this to 'try and get better.' He was living in the 'zone' and should have worked extremely hard to stay there. Instead, he ripped his swing down and changed it....twice.

All the other stuff (women) and alleged stuff (PED's) are potential contributors. Injuries too....though he still seems a 'cut' above the majority of golfers in terms of his physical shape. I recently heard him commenting on how his swing speed is 'way up' again. This, to me, is evidence that he is ok physically.

He just seems to (dare I say) crumble early and often in tournaments now. Part of this is because he was so ridiculously good that the bar is 'too high.' As a poster said above, he was PGA tour player of the year two years ago. That said....it's been an eternity (based on Tiger's own criteria) since he's won a major.

My father was a scratch golfer in his prime, and is a golf fanatic still. When Woods started, his impression was that Tiger's back wouldn't hold up. I think he was, in retrospect, correct.

Nicklaus predicted Tiger's body wouldn't hold up a long time ago. I think he's done as a serious contender in most events, but might have a "flash" or two left in him.

He won't break Jack's record for major wins.

Tiger was, without question, one of the most dominating performers of all time in any sport during his heyday. We're lucky to have had a chance to watch him.

My father was a scratch golfer in his prime, and is a golf fanatic still. When Woods started, his impression was that Tiger's back wouldn't hold up. I think he was, in retrospect, correct.

Violent swing for sure. It was fun because Woods was one of the few guys on the planet who could 'swing his guts out' and still hit it where he wanted to.

torrey pines this week will be a good indicator of his potential to come back. he grew up playing this course and walks around the tracks there like he's in his own backyard. if he can't compete there and it really is a mental issue, i don't see him coming back.

torrey pines this week will be a good indicator of his potential to come back. he grew up playing this course and walks around the tracks there like he's in his own backyard. if he can't compete there and it really is a mental issue, i don't see him coming back.

Good points all around.

Nicklaus predicted Tiger's body wouldn't hold up a long time ago. I think he's done as a serious contender in most events, but might have a "flash" or two left in him.

He won't break Jack's record for major wins.

Tiger was, without question, one of the most dominating performers of all time in any sport during his heyday. We're lucky to have had a chance to watch him.

All true.

Wow... Golf is a hard game. The toll it takes on one's body is incredible. He's probably wishing he was swinging a hammer on a roof @ 40 for 10 hours a day, his body would have held up much better. But no! He picks the grueling game of golf! Boy did he pick the wrong profession. Those Thursdays to Sunday tee-times are an absolute nightmare!

Oh BTW, stick a fork in him. :-P

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Wow... Golf is a hard game. The toll it takes on one's body is incredible. He's probably wishing he was swinging a hammer on a roof @ 40 for 10 hours a day, his body would have held up much better. But no! He picks the grueling game of golf! Boy did he pick the wrong profession. Those Thursdays to Sunday tee-times are an absolute nightmare!

actually, it's a pretty tough career choice. for every tiger there are 10000 wannabes that beg, borrow or steal the gas and hotel money to get to the next stop on the nike or hooters or whatever they call it this year tour. the rest are cozying up to demanding curmudgeons trying to make scores there bodies surpassed years ago. and then there's the problem that less people are playing or are even interested.

yup. the hammer or wrench are much better bets.

Not only does the guy/did the guy have a very violent swing that isn't good for longevity - but while he was going out and banging whores for years, he was also doing INTENSE training with navy seals, which also is NOT good for physical longevity

woods even considered quitting golf (while he was dominating the game) and trying to become a navy seal, hank Haney talked him out of quitting golf and joining up....and his ACL tear was a result of skydiving while training with seals

Anyone who plays golf knows the game is more mental than any other sport, and tiger is arguably the most intense mental mind in the game...and that mental game works both ways. When your playing lights out, your unbeatable, and that feeds your positive mentality and perpetuates the good play. Right now, along with the physical issues woods is having (or playing up to a certain degree), his intense mentality is certainly negative and that is exacerbating his poor play. Bad shots spiral out of control on him and ruin rounds (82). Not having a consistent, comfortable swing only adds on to it.

So yes, I think Tiger is most likely done. Will he win some more tourneys? I would think so. Will he win any more majors? I'd be surprised (and I hope like hell I am surprised because golf is even more enjoyable when tiger is in the hunt)

The ignorance of this post is stunning, unless it was meant 100% as sarcasm (which I doubt).

actually, it's a pretty tough career choice. for every tiger there are 10000 wannabes that beg, borrow or steal the gas and hotel money to get to the next stop on the nike or hooters or whatever they call it this year tour. the rest are cozying up to demanding curmudgeons trying to make scores there bodies surpassed years ago. and then there's the problem that less people are playing or are even interested.

yup. the hammer or wrench are much better bets.

It's not all bad. A lot of them end up as country club pros and get to nail hot married women.

Not only does the guy/did the guy have a very violent swing that isn't good for longevity - but while he was going out and banging whores for years, he was also doing INTENSE training with navy seals, which also is NOT good for physical longevity

woods even considered quitting golf (while he was dominating the game) and trying to become a navy seal, hank Haney talked him out of quitting golf and joining up....and his ACL tear was a result of skydiving while training with seals

Anyone who plays golf knows the game is more mental than any other sport, and tiger is arguably the most intense mental mind in the game...and that mental game works both ways. When your playing lights out, your unbeatable, and that feeds your positive mentality and perpetuates the good play. Right now, along with the physical issues woods is having (or playing up to a certain degree), his intense mentality is certainly negative and that is exacerbating his poor play. Bad shots spiral out of control on him and ruin rounds (82). Not having a consistent, comfortable swing only adds on to it.

So yes, I think Tiger is most likely done. Will he win some more tourneys? I would think so. Will he win any more majors? I'd be surprised (and I hope like hell I am surprised because golf is even more enjoyable when tiger is in the hunt)

Agree his over training was likely a major factor in his decline. Body can only take so much. I read before rounds of tournament golf he'd jog 5 miles. Ridiculous Edited by JTSP

Tiger Woods takes indefinite leave from golf

The soap opera that has become Tiger Woods' life took another shadowy turn Wednesday when he announced he was taking an indefinite leave of absence from competitive golf to work on his floundering game.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/golf/tiger-woods-takes-indefinite-leave-from-golf/2217376