Books you have read multiple times

I'm looking for a new book to read as I find myself returning to the same one for big transitions in life (I just finished grad school). For my its the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Lots of good lessons in this story that I've related to differently at different points in my life.

What books have you read multiple times? Any good recommendations?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What kind of books do you prefer? I like all types but tend to steer more to fantasy/science fiction.

The Five People You Meet in Heaven - Really good quick read.

The Wheel of Time Series - Fantasy/sci-fi. My all time favorite. A big time investment though as it's 14 books averaging around 700-800 pages each.

The Passage - Newer, cool spin on the vampire genre.

A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Edited by KikoSeeBallKikoGetBall

I'm looking for a new book to read as I find myself returning to the same one for big transitions in life (I just finished grad school). For my its the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. Lots of good lessons in this story that I've related to differently at different points in my life.

David Copperfield. Treasure Island. The Hobbit. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Green Eggs and Ham.

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER

Robert A Heinlein

Stranger in a Strange land

Isaac Asimov

Foundation Trilogy

C.S. Lewis

That Hideous Strength

Ray Brabury

Martian Chronicles

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Kahlil Gibran

The Prophet

...for starters :thumbsup:

I've read too many books multiple times, but if I had to recommend just one, it would be 'Mort' by Terry Pratchett. Death takes on a young apprentice, and once the boy is trained, goes on a vacation. It's very funny.

Robert A Heinlein

Stranger in a Strange land

Isaac Asimov

Foundation Trilogy

C.S. Lewis

That Hideous Strength

Ray Brabury

Martian Chronicles

Something Wicked This Way Comes

Kahlil Gibran

The Prophet

...for starters :thumbsup:

Just about anything by Heinlein, really. About every two or three years I go on this Heinlein jag and binge-read damn near all his books, in publication order.

Also: Dune. I've read that book maybe 18 times, and every time I read it again I find something new.

For me a must read definitely is houndred years of solitude(cien años de soledad) de Gabriel García Márquez,last year i did it for third time, but i'm mexican so i prefer latinamerican novels.

Also want to read again ensayo sobre la ceguera de Jose Saramago(portuguese writer) i think in US is blindness

Just about anything by Heinlein, really. About every two or three years I go on this Heinlein jag and binge-read damn near all his books, in publication order.

Also: Dune. I've read that book maybe 18 times, and every time I read it again I find something new.

I am the same way with Heinlein, Herbert (Dune), Asimov, and a few others.

Sometimes I will see a book at a yard sale that I own and I have read.

I will buy it cheap and randomly give it to someone I think will enjoy it.

After the Flood by Bill Cooper; Absolutely fascinating history of our Ancestors and early European history , I've read it 4 times.

'When all men were of one language, some of them built a high tower, as if they would thereby ascend up to heaven; but the gods sent storms of wind and overthrew the tower, and gave everyone his peculiar language; and for this reason it was that the city was called Babylon....After this they were dispersed abroad, on account of their languages, and went out by colonies everywhere; and each colony took possession of that land which they lighted upon, and unto which God led them; so that the whole continent was filled with them, both the inland and maritime countries. There were some also who passed over the sea in ships, and inhabited the islands; and some of these nations do still retain the names which were given to them by their first founders; but some also have lost them...The Sybil (Josephus. Antiq. i. 5.)

http://ldolphin.org/cooper/contents.html

Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo

Very haunting book ...have not read in 30 years.

For me

Jitterbug Perfume , Still Life with Woodpecker, and Another Roadside Attraction.....all by Tom Robbins. Jitterbug Perfume like 4 times.

Running to the Mountain...A Midlife Adventure....Jon Katz...Examining how to give meaning to life at mid age...good for us old fuggers

Snow in August and A Drinking Life by Pete Hamill..one fiction one non fiction..

Edited by plenzmd1

Very haunting book ...have not read in 30 years.

For me

Jitterbug Perfume , Still Life with Woodpecker, and Another Roadside Attraction.....all by Tom Robbins. Jitterbug Perfume like 4 times.

Running to the Mountain...A Midlife Adventure....Jon Katz...Examining how to give meaning to life at mid age...good for us old fuggers

Snow in August and A Drinking Life by Pete Hamill..one fiction one non fiction..

Jon Katz lives right down the road from me. I talk with him from time to time. That book was based on his first house (really a camp) off Colfax Mtn. I believe. He has since bought a small farm, raised sheep, etc., then sold that farm and bought a smaller farm with some sheep, dogs, etc. He has a blog online and is generally perceived as a good fellow around this area.