Alabama Fans- What do you think of Sims?

I was curious to hear more from people who follow Alabama about their view on Blake Sims.

On Murph's show, Greg Gabriel said that he throws the nicest, most pro-ready ball of the QBs at the Senior Bowl.

I know he's short, but I like the way the ball comes out of his hand and he seems accurate from a variety of spots, body positions, when he's running, etc. Reminds me a little of Brees and Wilson. I know he threw some awful interceptions in the bowl game this year, though. But his interception total for the year was low, if I'm not mistaken.

Would love to hear what people who have spent a lot of time watching him think.

I'm not a Bamer, but I've watched them 7-8 times this year.

His decision making is not NFL caliber and the reports from Day 1 of the Senior Bowl was he was the worst QB prospect by far. Cooper was the primary option on a very high percentage of their throws, their passing offense often looked like the plan was "throw to Cooper, if he's double covered then run". I don't know if that was their gameplan or Sims' struggles to get through progressions, but more often than not if the ball went to anyone but Cooper it's because the player was WIDE open.

Sims reminds me a lot of Joe Webb. He's athletic enough that he can make a roster as a utility guy who plays some WR, some special teams and is an emergency QB. I do not see him as a legitimate QB prospect, especially not one worth taking in the first 5 rounds.

Yuck!! I am not a 'Bama fan but I probably saw them 6-7 times on TV and live at the Sugar Bowl. I am not impressed at all. I would be really surprised if Sims is even on a roster next year. I could see him as a practice squad guy but he does nothing for me. Slow through progressions and often makes plays because the talent on Alabama is superior. I wouldn't even want him as a UFA I don't think. There is no reason to bring in a guy that will never have a chance to be the guy. Unfortunately that is how I see Blake Sims.

Bama fan, not impressed with him as a Pro-level QB. Like others have said, maybe in the 5th or later, but I dont have any expectations for him. He's most likely a bigger project than EJ, so if you dont mind waiting a few years for him to maybe not even develop, then go for it.

HUGE Crimson Tide Fan here.....

Sims is a very smart player who listens to his coaches. I love this about the kid. He throws an easy pass to catch but at times he needs a bit more air than one would like.

He is small but he's a gamer. He buys time ala Wilson but is far less fluid and natural.

My expectations for him are mixed. McCarron was a better college QB by far (numbers notwithstanding) if this helps at all.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I actually was surprised at his play this year. He seems to have a strong arm and is accurate. As a runner, he is fast and shifty(makes people miss like Manzel). Took a lot of snaps from under center so that shouldn't be a problem. Throws a bad interception a game but it does' seem to effect him. I'm kind of interested to see what he can do in NFL. I'd draft him very late or sign as a free agent. I think if he doesn't pan out as a QB, he can play RB. Went to the Iron Bowl this year, he was very good there.

HUGE Crimson Tide Fan here.....

Sims is a very smart player who listens to his coaches. I love this about the kid. He throws an easy pass to catch but at times he needs a bit more air than one would like.

He is small but he's a gamer. He buys time ala Wilson but is far less fluid and natural.

My expectations for him are mixed. McCarron was a better college QB by far (numbers notwithstanding) if this helps at all.

Bama homer here, agree with this take. He doesnt have the metrics of some other guys, but finds a way, is resourceful, and I don't think we've seen the best of him yet. If he's there in the 4th or 5th, I'd take a chance on him

Interesting answers. Thanks, everyone. There's something about him that kind of intrigues me.

But I am wary when fans of a QB's team aren't in love with him. I remember feeling really good about everything I was seeing and reading about EJ except that the people who had watched Florida State were so lukewarm about him. He had good stats, good athletic ability, smarts, character, etc. But fans who watch someone for a few years generally get a feel for when something is missing.

Sims is interesting since he only has the one year. The fact that he converted from RB and ended up the starting QB for Alabama of all places, with so little experience, really impresses me. I wonder if he isn't anywhere near his ceiling. Don't see any way he is even a mid-high draft pick. But it would be fun to take a flyer on him or someone like him in rounds 5-7 and see if he continues to develop.

Not to mention, if Bill from NYC actually likes a small, skill-position player, that goes a long way in my book. There must be something good about Sims. :rolleyes: