Revis? Hughes?

Considering Revis only signed a one year deal with New England and the Pats don't seem to like to tie players up in high money long term contracts, there is a good chance Revis will leave the Pats. Given that he excelled in Rex's defense, I think there is a chance we go after him.

With the hiring of Rex, I think Hughes is much more likely to walk. Hughes was traded to us from Indianapolis laregly because he did not excel in the Colts 3-4 scheme. Now Rex is converting the Bills to a 3-4. Also, Mario Williams did not like Wade Philips 3-4 in Houston.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering Revis only signed a one year deal with New England and the Pats don't seem to like to tie players up in high money long term contracts, there is a good chance Revis will leave the Pats. Given that he excelled in Rex's defense, I think there is a chance we go after him.

With the hiring of Rex, I think Hughes is much more likely to walk. Hughes was traded to us from Indianapolis laregly because he did not excel in the Colts 3-4 scheme. Now Rex is converting the Bills to a 3-4. Also, Mario Williams did not like Wade Philips 3-4 in Houston.

Not necessarily true

Hughes was pretty good the last time he played in this defense. Hughes was stuck behind other players and wasn't a pick of that coach or general manager and was showing signs of breaking out the year before he was traded. Why does everybody think Rex runs strictly a 34? Where was everyone 2 years ago?

Revis, we are going to a 3-4. Thats a no brainer. Hughes stunk in a 3-4 scheme in Indy. Dont think for a minute this wasnt a consideration during the entire coach search process. expect Hughes to be gone.

Hughes stunk in a Tampa 2. He started to show signs of life in a hybrid 3-4 and then was traded to the bills that ran a hybrid 4-3 under/34(the defense Pettine learned from rex). Hughes was used similar to a 34 pass rushing olb this year and the year before..... Edited by kr632

How much money do you think the Bills have? We need to build the lines. You don't to spend 15 or 16 million on Revis.

We have about $25m if the cap is $142m. I don't see us pursuing Revis, too costly. If we do go with a 3-4 I might be looking at NT and/or DEs as not sold Kyle Williams fits that system and a veteran LB for depth and/or to start as Hughes isn't the best in that system and I know Mario didn't like playing it in Houston with Wade Phillips.

My opinion

We dont need Revis (who most likely will be signed by the patriots with all the money Brady just freed up for them

and

Hughes really needs to stay.....

We have about $25m if the cap is $142m. I don't see us pursuing Revis, too costly. If we do go with a 3-4 I might be looking at NT and/or DEs as not sold Kyle Williams fits that system and a veteran LB for depth and/or to start as Hughes isn't the best in that system and I know Mario didn't like playing it in Houston with Wade Phillips.

Kyle fit the system just fine in Pettine's defense?

How much money do you think the Bills have? We need to build the lines. You don't to spend 15 or 16 million on Revis.

Agreed. But given Terry's deep pockets, there's some creative ways to front-load the crap out of contract to reduce the hit on the books.

We've never been in these situations before, I'm curious to what lies ahead!!!!

My opinion

We dont need Revis (who most likely will be signed by the patriots with all the money Brady just freed up for them

and

I wouldn't say he fit considering how poor our rush defense was then. Granted we have improved our LBs since then but to me Kyle Williams is best in a 43 not a 34. As he isn't big enough to be a NT and hold blockers. Dareus might be better suited manning the nose but not sure Kyle fits 100% at DE either.

My opinion

and

Brady's new deal doesnt save them any cap money. It's real complicated, but it doesn't make more cap money available.

Revis would take our D to another level. It is possible. I'd rather spend our resources on building the OL and running game as well as keeping Hughes, searcy, spikes, Wynn or Bryant and Easley. Maybe even hogan. If we can somehow add those guys plus iupati or boling I think it's a monster in the making. Draft another guard and maybe gurley or Elliott in rd 2. Watch out. In Whaley I trust

Revis would take our D to another level. It is possible. I'd rather spend our resources on building the OL and running game as well as keeping Hughes, searcy, spikes, Wynn or Bryant and Easley. Maybe even hogan. If we can somehow add those guys plus iupati or boling I think it's a monster in the making. Draft another guard and maybe gurley or Elliott in rd 2. Watch out. In Whaley I trust

Idt Elliot is draft eligible.