OK.....deep breaths and big picture here folks

Yes....our D was awesome this year

Yes.....Schwartz did a great job with them after we were worried were going to lose our great D that was under Pettine the previous year........

bear with me.......

We are not getting a OC retread or 1st year OC that is bringing his his favorite guy as a defensive coordinator

We are getting Rex Ryan.....who is one of the greatest defensive minds to have ever been in the NFL......it is the one thing he can hang his hat on (and if you dont belive me go back and look at his defensive rankings)

My worry this year was never about defense no matter what happens......2 reasons

Rex Ryan would never allow a team he coaches to have anything but a outstanding defense

and

The defensive talent on this team is nothing short of incredible.....from DL.....to linebackers (with Kiko Alonzo also returning) to a very solid secondary

My concern is what it has been from the beginning.....who would the OC be because that is not Rex Ryan's strength...he took care of that by bring in a OC with deep NFC playoffs and one super bowl

We are ok....we really are ok. And it is ok to still love Schwartz and wish him well. I certainly do.

Edited by John from Hemet

We are getting Rex Ryan.....who is one of the greatest defensive minds to have ever been in the NFL

Rex Ryan would never allow a team he coaches to have anything but a outstanding defense

I appreciate your excitement, but can you make your point without the insane hyperbole? " one of the greatest defensive minds to have ever been in the NFL"? Really? How did Rex change the way football is played on the defenseive side of the ball?

Look up his rankings? He would " never allow a team he coaches to have anything but a outstanding defense"?

With superstars on his Baltimore D, he had top 5 D's in yards allowed and points allowed for 4 years--but so did Mike Nolan before him. It's nice to walk into a situation loaded with talent--just ask Jim Schwartz.

And Rex would never "allow" a team to have anything but and oustanding D? Look at the points scored on the Jets D over the past 4 years: 20, 20, 19, 24th ranked. He's been running the "break, don't bend" D over there for years.

The Big Picture is we now need an NFL calibre QB. Without that piece all the coaching garbage is pretty meaningless. Plus you don't win with defense in the NFL anymore. You win with offense. Defense is for show. Offense/QB play is for dough. Look at the final 4 QBs . probably the best 4 in the league. that is not a coincidence. Go get Cutler and get him now.

The Big Picture is we now need an NFL calibre QB. Without that piece all the coaching garbage is pretty meaningless. Plus you don't win with defense in the NFL anymore. You win with offense. Defense is for show. Offense/QB play is for dough. Look at the final 4 QBs . probably the best 4 in the league. that is not a coincidence. Go get Cutler and get him now.

without fixing the offense it doesn't matter. Three of the four final teams have ok defenses but they have stellar QBs. Russell Wilson strives since they play great D, run the ball well and utilize his legs and arm to get vertical put him on the colts, pats or packers and not sure he is as effective

Yes.....Schwartz did a great job with them after we were worried were going to lose our great D that was under Pettine the previous year........

bear with me.......

We are not getting a OC retread or 1st year OC that is bringing his his favorite guy as a defensive coordinator

We are getting Rex Ryan.....who is one of the greatest defensive minds to have ever been in the NFL......it is the one thing he can hang his hat on (and if you dont belive me go back and look at his defensive rankings)

My worry this year was never about defense no matter what happens......2 reasons

and

The defensive talent on this team is nothing short of incredible.....from DL.....to linebackers (with Kiko Alonzo also returning) to a very solid secondary

My concern is what it has been from the beginning.....who would the OC be because that is not Rex Ryan's strength...he took care of that by bring in a OC with deep NFC playoffs and one super bowl

We are ok....we really are ok. And it is ok to still love Schwartz and wish him well. I certainly do.

Spot on!

bear with me.......

and

I take your points, and appreciate your optimism. I mentioned this in an earlier thread, but at the end of the day, I think that Schwartz's defense was a better match for our personnel than Pettine's (Ryan's), but it would seem strange to hire Rex Ryan as our head coach and NOT allow him to implement the signature defense that got him head coaching gigs in the first place.

I like our defensive line better in Schwartz's 4-3 base, and I think our linebackers are better suited for it as well, but I'm pretty confident that Rex will find a way to get the best players on the field, and put them in a position to win their respective battles.

I will miss Schwartz, though. May the Schwartz be with him.

These are valid points, but there is still the issue of personnel. Granted going to a 3-4 would allow Spikes to stay when Kiko returns. But who on the line will play where? Mario Williams is a great DE, and Dareus and Kyle Williams are great DTs. We have no NTs, and might not keep Jerry Hughes. Do we have Kyle play DE? He's not built for that. My biggest fear is a new guy comes in a blows up a great ensemble, and the Bills great D this year collapses in a couple of years.

These are valid points, but there is still the issue of personnel. Granted going to a 3-4 would allow Spikes to stay when Kiko returns. But who on the line will play where? Mario Williams is a great DE, and Dareus and Kyle Williams are great DTs. We have no NTs, and might not keep Jerry Hughes. Do we have Kyle play DE? He's not built for that. My biggest fear is a new guy comes in a blows up a great ensemble, and the Bills great D this year collapses in a couple of years.

Why do you think we would revert to a 3-4? He ran multiple and hybrid fronts in New York.

bear with me.......

and

Great post. Let me add one more thing. Of the 54 sacks we had this year all but 6 were by the D line. I like Schwartz but he benefited from having the best D line in football.