Unintended benefit with Ryan the Bills more appealing to FA'

BuffaloBill

Oh without question this is true; I have been saying this all along.

The entire point of this thread, though, is to suggest that Ryan's star power and name recognition instantly gives the organization a creditability it lacked previously and a new found ability to attract top free agents as a result.

That has nothing to do with who the owner is.

I also think that premise is mostly wrong; Pegula money will attract free agents. Rex Ryan's name on the coaching roster? Not so much.

I disagree. It's a different world now. Before the only way Bills could sign Mario was to give him the world. Now, they just have to give him a continent.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about it... $16 million under the cap, our defense exchanges Hughes for Alonso, and we lose Spiller. We can pick at the Jets FAs...

I am salivating at the opportunity we have to improve our team and to build on our defense WITH Schwartz as DC!!!

This is absolutely great!

We're more then $16mm under the cap. We're closer to being over $20mm, perhaps over $24mm, depending on how things fall with some guys like Keith Rivers and other vets.

Lawson is likely to return now that Ryan is coming.

Think about it... $16 million under the cap, our defense exchanges Hughes for Alonso, and we lose Spiller. We can pick at the Jets FAs...

I am salivating at the opportunity we have to improve our team and to build on our defense WITH Schwartz as DC!!!

This is absolutely great!

From what I'm seeing when the cap goes up we will be about $22-23 million under the cap, still needing to resign Hughes...that is also without Pears(good riddance) who we likely won't resign, Spikes who I'm not sure we have room for on the field other than a backup with the return of Kiko, and Searcy who I would really like to see resigned...if Spiller opts out that will add another $4+ million to our cap room...if they get Mario to restructure, they can likely free up at least $10 million more

Edited by matter2003

99% of the time, the only thing that matters. Players will follow the paycheck, it's that simple.

I think often the pay checks are pretty close, and tie can go to quality of life, endorsement chances, or established relationships.... Most ties probably wouldn't go to buffalo, but I think Rex has more pull than marrone. Edited by NoSaint

What difference does it matter how much money Pegula has? Everytime I read how much better the roster will look, that Pegulas will spend money on players, etc. I have to wonder if so many people still dont understand that...There's salary cap,(andyes,the salary "floor" kicked in a couple years ago).It's not a matter of how much Pegula has,it's how well his FO spends it.

What difference does it matter how much money Pegula has? Everytime I read how much better the roster will look, that Pegulas will spend money on players, etc. I have to wonder if so many people still dont understand that...There's salary cap,(andyes,the salary "floor" kicked in a couple years ago).It's not a matter of how much Pegula has,it's how well his FO spends it.

We can spend more on coaches, scouts, facilities, trainers, and as the cap grows the gap between the floor and ceiling widens.

Cash flow questions are worth discussion too as guaranteed dollars go into escrow immediately on signing

It's about all the other things that the salary call doesn't apply to. Budget for the coaching staff. For scouting and other front office positions. Weight room. Practice facility. Training staff and equipment. The locker room. Other amenities received by the players. That's where what the owner is willing to spend really matters. Edited by JM57

We can spend more on coaches, scouts, facilities, trainers, and as the cap grows the gap between the floor and ceiling widens.

Cash flow questions are worth discussion too as guaranteed dollars go into escrow immediately on signing

This is the most underrated aspect of Pegula. People do not understand how important quality of life is to players. Do they like where they work? Who they work with? Is housing affordable? What are the schools like? The pay checks are very, very similar and you need to recruit a type of player that fits well in that environment. A guy like Fred Jackson would have been the perfect target. Willis McGahee not so much. Edited by Kirby Jackson

This is the most underrated aspect of Pegula. People do not understand how important quality of life is to players. Do they like where they work? Who they work with? Is housing affordable? What are the schools like? The pay checks are very, very solar and you need to recruit a type of player that fits well in that environment. A guy like Fred Jackson would have been the perfect target. Willis McGahee not so much.

Totally agree. You probably knew this but the Sabres, when they traveled, used to stay at decent hotels. The Pegulas changed that so now when they go on the road they stay at top hotels. It's a little thing but the players must notice.

And wives and families have a huge impact on where players want to move to. Kim and Terry have been known to win over several different players and their wives the same way they did with Rex.

Totally agree. You probably knew this but the Sabres, when they traveled, used to stay at decent hotels. The Pegulas changed that so now when they go on the road they stay at top hotels. It's a little thing but the players must notice.

And wives and families have a huge impact on where players want to move to. Kim and Terry have been known to win over several different players and their wives the same way they did with Rex.

There are things written into the CBA (at least in the NBA) that they have to stay in at least 4 star hotels, etc.. When I think of this stuff I wonder how a team like the Oakland A's can even compete. http://www.mercurynews.com/athletics/ci_25448527/oakland-coliseum-greets-another-sewage-backup

This is the most underrated aspect of Pegula. People do not understand how important quality of life is to players. Do they like where they work? Who they work with? Is housing affordable? What are the schools like? The pay checks are very, very similar and you need to recruit a type of player that fits well in that environment. A guy like Fred Jackson would have been the perfect target. Willis McGahee not so much.

Yup. Good stuff, and I completely agree. It's going to make a big difference in the long haul, if not the immediate future.

(If it hasn't already)

Pegula's money makes ALL KINDS OF A DIFFERENCE in many ways, none of which have a damned thing to do with the salary cap.

A good example! He just overpaid (probably) to bring a national name like Rex Ryan on board.

He just gave the guy what? $5 million and change per year for 5 years?

If after year 2 this turns out to be a horrible mistake, you know what Terry will do? Eat the contract, buy out Rex, and move forward in a new direction. That's how his money helps this team.

Regarding free agents coming to WNY: these guys fall into one of two camps. Either you are young, single (probably) and into bright lights and the big city, or you aren't. If you are, you probably ain't signing in Buffalo, NY.

If you don't care about that that stuff, and prefer a simple life, light traffic, and enjoy fishing....and are already married with a few kids....Buffalo, NY might be your dream destination.

None of that (from either camp's perspective) has a darned thing to do with who the head coach is or whether or not his name is nationally recognized.

It's about the player, not the coach.

Not lost on this board is the idea that supposedly free agents find Buffalo a less appealing team and market. While money has always spoken in free agency I do think the Ryan hire helps the Bills. Quality players want money and a locker room or team atmosphere they like. Ryan will build the latter instantly in Buffalo.

Mario Williams, Corey Graham, Brandon Spikes, Boobie Dixon.......Players come here already

Salary cap is now irrelevant. The big change in running the club hopefully will come in getting rid of cash to cap concept of running the team. That made the difference in tossing out a lot of solid veterans who provided insurance.

The future is brighter.

Salary cap is now irrelevant. The big change in running the club hopefully will come in getting rid of cash to cap concept of running the team. That made the difference in tossing out a lot of solid veterans who provided insurance.

The future is brighter.

That is a ridiculous statement. it's very relevant and cash to cap is a smart way to manage......

Boobie is a 3rd string rb. Atleast keep to starters in your list - it'll make it look better, even if shorter.

so you disagree that FAs come to Buffalo? all 4 I listed played a lot this year with Spikes not so much later......Dixon also was important on special teams and not all good players are starters. Robey was a FA and not a starter.......

That is a ridiculous statement. it's very relevant and cash to cap is a smart way to manage......

Why is it ridiculous? Name the last time any team had serious cap issues that they had to gut the roster like the Bills did in 2001.

Cowboys and Redskins were each penalized for skirting the cap rules, yet they had no problems filling out their rosters.

Cash to cap is a smart way to manage a team if your goal is to turn a healthy annual profit. It's not a smart way to run a team if you're building a successful and winning program.