What happened in Detroit for Schwartz? Systemic or unique?

NickelCity

Don't know much about Schwartz in Detroit, other than his teams were quite chippy. I'm guessing he will be our next coach, and I don't mind that at all. By all accounts, the team will be happy with that as well.

However, I don't really know the details of his time in Detroit. What are your thoughts on why he didn't pan out long term? Was it unique to that team/time, or is it a systemic problem with Schwartz? Your best guess...

I believe the roster that you see in Detroit now, the core players on it where young players at the time. I know Stafford had issues staying healthy. Rebuilding a team and grooming young players in a devision that includes green bay and dome very good bears teams isn't an easy task

Young players, a weak running game and a defense with holes all over the back 7. Two of those issues are fixed and another is somewhat remedied with Joique Bell.

Not sure but in my opinion the best hire is always a marginally successful second term head coach. They have to show they are not completely incapable of being the top guy and they learn tons from that first experience. Think Belicheck with the Browns and many other examples. He might be a guy to give a second chance to but I didn't follow the Lions that well either. Did great with the D this year.

I remember watching some Lions games and you could see a guy overwhelmed, with arrogant gestures at times and being euphoric for no apparent reason. And that translated to his players at times.

His demeanor on the sidelines this year was of a guy focused, ready and in control of the work he was doing on the field. It seems that he feels comfortable not having so many responsibilities.

Schwartz is a tool and wears his emotions on his sleeves. He considers himself a "rock n roll" rebel type guy. But the word on the street here in Nashville was that Jeff Fisher was gonna let him go before he got his HC job in Detroit.

All worked out for Schwartz. He's a good DC. But needs a strong coach or FO type to keep him in line.

C

Didn't Marv Levy have a tenure somewhere else before he came to Buffalo? Did not his second chance here pan out? just sayin'....

So did Dick Jauron. I tend to think Schwartz would be better than Skeletor but who knows.

Schwartz took over a horribly bad 0-16 team that was last in both defense and offense, and drafted Matthew Stafford his first year in Detroit. If there ever was a 5 year plan this was it.

2-14 to 6-10 to 10-6, and playoffs in his third season. While drafting heavily for the defense (Suh, Fairley) in the two years after Stafford, what he should have been doing is building that offensive line, and run game. Anyway in 2011 for that 10-6 season Stafford threw for 5000 yards, 41 TD's, 16 INT's. That 2011 team was #4 in points, #5 in yards on offense. While 23rd in both points, yards on defense. 666 passing attempts vs 356 rushing is asking the QB to carry the entire offense.

For 2012 this should explain everything, 740 passing attempts vs 391 rushing attempts on offense. 22 TD's-17 INT's Same OC too. Then in 2013 it was almost the same thing with 634 passing attempts vs 445 rushing attempts 29 TD's- 19 INT's That is some scary stuff right there. Stafford fell on his face after the 2011 season, and they just kept asking him to throw.

Even this year they are asking Stafford to carry the offense with 604 passing vs 396 rushing attempts, and they are 22nd in points scored, and 19th in yards. The Lions defense is a top 3 in the league because of the defense Schwartz built in Detroit.

Anyway, you would think that coming from a background with Jeff Fisher who liked to run the ball a lot. That Schwartz would follow in the same mold, and he didn't. Just my 2 cents.

I believe the constant criticism of Schwartz Lions teams was that they were very undisciplined, and prone to bone-head mistakes. They rarely lived up to expectations. Would hate to lose him as DC, but as HC I am not so thrilled. He had a lot of time in Detroit to work things out, and they only got worse. I think as a DC he can afford to play with his heart on his sleeve..not as HC.

Lions also had horrible kicking teams. I seem to remember in one game they had a kick and punt returned on them for TDs. Crossman was the coordinator. Allegedly due to Schwartz not thinking it was important enough to have guys on the team just for that.

Edited by reddogblitz