Head Coach Candidate: Jim Schwartz

Luxy312

Schwartz had lost the locker room in Detroit at the end. There is no doubt about that. But his work through the first 3 years was very impressive. Is he at his best as a coordinator? Maybe. But maybe he is one of those guys who learns from his mistakes and "gets it" second time around. I do think it is analogous to Belichick in Cleveland. That isn't to say of course that his bound to match Belichick's success second time around.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schwartz had lost the locker room in Detroit at the end. There is no doubt about that. But his work through the first 3 years was very impressive. Is he at his best as a coordinator? Maybe. But maybe he is one of those guys who learns from his mistakes and "gets it" second time around. I do think it is analogous to Belichick in Cleveland. That isn't to say of course that his bound to match Belichick's success second time around.

Here is the thing people forget about BB. He had won two SB's as a DC. His gameplan for SBXXV is in the HOF. He didn't have a QB in Cleveland. He didn't have All Pro players like Johnson or Suh in Cleveland. His final season was undermined early by the team announcing it was moving.

Again.....if you can draw an analogy between the two situations you can do it with tons of first time HC failures.

Here is the thing people forget about BB. He had won two SB's as a DC. His gameplan for SBXXV is in the HOF. He didn't have a QB in Cleveland. He didn't have All Pro players like Johnson or Suh in Cleveland. His final season was undermined early by the team announcing it was moving.

Again.....if you can draw an analogy between the two situations you can do it with tons of first time HC failures.

Not doubting Belichick's pedigree with the Giants. However, I think it is slightly giving him a pass saying his Quarterback situation was that much worse than Schwartz's in Detroit. He had Kosar and then Testerverde who were more than good enough to win with. They weren't top 10 Quarterbacks but nor is Stafford. The only season that puts him anywhere near that conversation is that 10-6 season under Jim Schwartz.

I am not trying to label him a successful Head Coach. I don't think he was - but nor do I think he was a proven failure. His first crack at it was a mix of good and bad in my opinion. He isn't my preferred Head Coach for the Bills but I have little doubt we could do worse and possibly will.

@ByTimGraham reporting that Jim Schwartz has been interviewed.

I'm still very conflicted. Would love to keep continuity of the coaching staff, players love him (on both sides of the ball apparently), and has has a good football mind. His piece on the Cleveland documentary was interesting.

But what's his offensive philosophy? Who is his OC that can come in and either develop EJ or get the playmakers the ball with someone else. He doesn't come off as conservative to me.

Good for Coach Schwartz, well deserved and certainly a well earned interview.

Of course, landing an OC to compliment his defensive standouts on the other side of the ball should be first and foremost a priority. Best of luck to him and the team should he become the next HC of the Buffalo Bills. If not, hopefully the incoming HC invites him to stay on.

I think he would kill it second time around. Granted, he needs to find QBs first. Remember, he took the only 0-16 team in the history of the NFL to the playoffs in his 3rd year!

And then he just as quickly buried them--only to be resurrected by the great Jim Caldwell.

No thanks.

His OC in Detroit was Scott Linehan. The Lions finished in the top 6 in yards all three of his last three seasons, and was the playcaller and person given the most accolades for the Cowboys offensive resurgence this year. We could do worse than Linehan, who is a free agent.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Schwartz is a very, very smart guy and I bet gave a great interview. Whaley and Brandon would obviously know him well, but I bet he blows the Pegulas away. He probably articulated a dozen ways why the Bills offense failed, knowing how to combat them so well. If I had to bet, he would get the job.

The only other way I see it happening is Gase or Bevell or Shanny running the offense and Schwartz staying and being left alone, and Daddy Warbucks making Schwartz the highest paid coordinator in the league, or close to it.