How's that 'Buffalo Billion' working out for ya?

• 3 years later...
6 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

So the 2018 tax reform screwed a project that was supposed to be completed by 2017?

Yeah, more like the $150,000,000 wasn't enough to grease all the required corrupt palms in Niagara Falls.

Edited by Koko78

20 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

So the 2018 tax reform screwed a project that was supposed to be completed by 2017?

Yeah, more like the $150,000,000 wasn't enough to grease all the required corrupt palms in Niagara Falls.

I did some real estate work in NF and am well aware of the lock that unions have in that town. Also it takes a stack of 100 dollar bills to grease the skids with the non union people controlling the project. My particular project had a real estate tax price tag of just under $30,000. That identical store would have a real estate tax of $6,000-$8,000 in PA. A well known discount grocery chain with headquarters in Germany located there and their real estate people told me that construction labor costs were about 75% more than for a typical store. Of the many, many stores that I found locations for the NF store is the only one that failed to stay in business.

• 7 months later...
On 12/21/2014 at 2:56 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... I agree.

I guess it was the OP's original expectation that it was working out. Of course I hold my breath when I first hear of stuff like this and wish for the best. It still is upstate Western New York.

so you think government should be taxing us and then spending money where it pleases, but when it does you don’t expect much success and hold your breath and hope?

50 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Ehhh, the title is a little bit of clickbait and the article is misleading. Tesla doesn't use Panasonic's cells in their roof tiles. They're still ramping solar roof production at the Buffalo Gigafactory. 

There are a ton of arguments against subsidies like this (I'm personally not a fan), but the BN is only muddying the water here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Grand Island to get a 1000 jobs from Amazon 

18 hours ago - GRAND ISLAND, N.Y. (WKBW) — Former Grand Island Town Supervisor Nate McMurray now confirms Amazon is looking to set up shop in the ...

47 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

18 hours ago - GRAND ISLAND, N.Y. (WKBW) — Former Grand Island Town Supervisor Nate McMurray now confirms Amazon is looking to set up shop in the ...

shhh... noone tell AOC.

18 minutes ago, Foxx said:

shhh... noone tell AOC.

I was watching spectrum news last night and it was actually some Republican dude who was raising the same issues she was, traffic, crowding and specific to GI, those bridges. So not everyone wants massive growth.  

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I was watching spectrum news last night and it was actually some Republican dude who was raising the same issues she was, traffic, crowding and specific to GI, those bridges. So not everyone wants massive growth.  

1000 jobs is massive growth?

argue.gif.d35048a0f294ecb34beb0ef0e0dc308c.gif

2 minutes ago, Wacka said:

For Grand Island it is.

storage and distributions center means we are talking round the clock operations. it won't be this massive influx of 1000 peeps all at the same time. it is going to be good for the economy.

didn't Fantasy Island just close shop?

• 5 months later...

https://nypost.com/2020/08/21/audit-finds-cuomos-buffalo-billions-a-waste-of-tax-money/

On 2/26/2020 at 7:04 AM, Tiberius said:

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/erie-county/grand-island/grand-island-town-supervisor-says-amazon-project-is-off/

On 2/26/2020 at 9:26 AM, Wacka said:

For Grand Island it is.

...Grand Island deal is now supposedly off....new location is Medina, NY in Orleans County, which is east of Buffalo.....initial reports say $300 million dollar facility, nearly identical to the one being built in Syracuse (another smaller one being built in Syracuse as well).......

• 1 year later...

Knew this was going to happen.  I lived in the SF Bay area when Obummer wasted a half Billion in Solyndra.  In a couple years it was aempty buildingsnwith one of them being a toxic waste site.

Edited by Wacka

On 12/21/2014 at 2:49 PM, Azalin said:

If that's the case, it's even dumber to expect it to have any effect.

Don't misunderstand me - I'd love to see WNY turn things around, but I'm honestly surprised that so many people are willing to put up with the heavy taxation, the depressed economy, and the brutal winters associated with the region. There are many attractive alternatives with lower taxes, more jobs, and little to no snow to slog through.

And sunlight, don’t forget sunlight.