Should the "Shout" song be played after a FG?

smuvtalker

Should the "Shout" song be played after a field goal?  

131 members have voted

1. 1. Should the "Shout" song be played after a FG?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only after a game tying or game winning field goal
    • Doesn't really matter to me

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a way to pump up the crowd, so the answer is a definite yes.

Yes I agree.

In all seriousness, I think it helps the Bills to play it after every score for these reasons:

1) It is a nice long cheer that weighs heavy on the psyche of the other team who just gave up a score. You want to use every opportunity no matter how big or small to demoralize your opponent and wear him down mentally. When they hear that whole stadium rocking and chanting against them, it has to up the anxiety level just a bit.

2) It gives the Bills players a small but positive emotional boost.

3) It helps get the crowd fired up which helps on the ensuing defensive attempt to stop the opponents next drive.

4) It helps build positive momentum for the whole team because of the emotional impact of getting the whole fanbase chanting for the home team.

5) It makes for a more enjoyable game experience especially for fans who only attend a game here or there and for people who bring their kids to the game.

So, if they ever choose to not play it, I certainly hope they pick something else appropriate to play in its place. I did like it back when they used to play Black Betty often. But I don't think most other songs elicit the same amount of emotion as the shout song.

Edited by PolishDave

Sounds like a great bar. What's the punishment for singing the shout song at an inappropriate time? Can you hum or whistle the song?

When we started the game winning drive, someone tried, and another, granted inebriated Bills fan was face to face with him. Of course when we won they were hugging and buying drinks for each other. You can yell, cheer, clap as loud as you want. Just no Shout song. Once or twice when we were winning at the half they played the Isley Brothers Shout last season. It's a ball. Houston Bills Backers has a page on Facebook with plenty of videos. I'm warning you ahead of time that there I took my shirt of in the excitement of the win Sunday, during the Shout song, and there are videos/pictures of it from multiple angles.

Yes I agree.

In all seriousness, I think it helps the Bills to play it after every score for these reasons:

1) It is a nice long cheer that weighs heavy on the psyche of the other team who just gave up a score. You want to use every opportunity no matter how big or small to demoralize your opponent and wear him down mentally. When they hear that whole stadium rocking and chanting against them, it has to up the anxiety level just a bit.

2) It gives the Bills players a small but positive emotional boost.

3) It helps get the crowd fired up which helps on the ensuing defensive attempt to stop the opponents next drive.

4) It helps build positive momentum for the whole team because of the emotional impact of getting the whole fanbase chanting for the home team.

5) It makes for a more enjoyable game experience especially for fans who only attend a game here or there and for people who bring their kids to the game.

So, if they ever choose to not play it, I certainly hope they pick something else appropriate to play in its place. I did like it back when they used to play Black Betty often. But I don't think most other songs elicit the same amount of emotion as the shout song.

I read somewhere that we got rid of the Shout song for the first half of one game back in the 80s due to some legal disputes, and the Ralph damn near rioted.

It plays when my toilet flushes so why not for feel goals

You're a weird dude RFK.

Yes it should be played after field goals because we have Dick Jauron Doug Marrone as head coach and he plays for field goals. Touchdowns are like getting extra sprinkles on your ice cream in this coach's mind.

:lol:

It's a way to pump up the crowd, so the answer is a definite yes.

I completely agree with you in the sense it's something that gets the crowd pumped up, but I did notice last week during Green Bay, after the FG to put us up 16-10, it was probably the most tame cheering I remember in quite some time, and it being such a huge game, I was a bit surprised.

I completely agree with you in the sense it's something that gets the crowd pumped up, but I did notice last week during Green Bay, after the FG to put us up 16-10, it was probably the most tame cheering I remember in quite some time, and it being such a huge game, I was a bit surprised.

I was actually pissed at one point early in the Green Bay game at how quiet and lame my fellow Bills fans were. Fans got better later on, but it wasn't until they felt like we might actually compete or even win that game.

I consider it a duty as a fan attending the game to make some kind of noise when the opponent has the football. Some of the season ticket holders sitting around me are guys in their late 60's and over. So I get why they don't yell and get all worked up. But I think anyone who isn't physically limited in some way should try to help their team out even though one fan is minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

I really think fans underestimate the importance of the mind game in football and other sports. Fans support is a significant factor in player performance both good and bad in my opinion.

I was actually pissed at one point early in the Green Bay game at how quiet and lame my fellow Bills fans were. Fans got better later on, but it wasn't until they felt like we might actually compete or even win that game.

I consider it a duty as a fan attending the game to make some kind of noise when the opponent has the football. Some of the season ticket holders sitting around me are guys in their late 60's and over. So I get why they don't yell and get all worked up. But I think anyone who isn't physically limited in some way should try to help their team out even though one fan is minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

I really think fans underestimate the importance of the mind game in football and other sports. Fans support is a significant factor in player performance both good and bad in my opinion.

Very well said sir, very well said. :thumbsup:

If they didn't play it after FGs, the crowd probably would have forgotten the words by now.

Ha, was thinking something similar:

Q: Should it be played after FGs?

A: Well, do you want to hear the song or not?

If anything we might consider expanding Shout worthy events. Maybe play it after really good punts?

I think it should depend upon how the game is going. If we are barley doing anything on offense and then down like 10-0 in the 4th quarter we finally kick a field goal then no we should not (we certainly shouldn't if we are getting blown out). But if we are winning by say 2 touchdowns and it adds to our lead in the 4th or something then yes.

That's hilarious. I had the same convo at the game on Sunday. But with how bad the Bills offense is, it's like the only time we get to hear the song.

One day, we get a real offense, they should only play a very short version of Shout. I love Carperter but field goals are so boring.