$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

21 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

As automation gets less expensive and as the cost to employ and provide benefits for low skilled labor rises, tasks done by humans will be reduced.  It's another argument FOR reducing illegal and low skilled immigration. 

The auto industry has already experienced this as MANY higher paid union factory workers have been replaced in the plants with automation. 

To name but a few...but how to prop up consumer spending or no one will be able to buy anything the machines make, who will pay into social security, how to deal with the massive unemployment that will probably happen. It could be a giant change in civilization. 

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

To name but a few...but how to prop up consumer spending or no one will be able to buy anything the machines make, who will pay into social security, how to deal with the massive unemployment that will probably happen. It could be a giant change in civilization. 

Should we put a ban on further development and use of automation in manufacturing and service companies?  To do that is to risk being left behind by a world willing to innovate to a greater degree.  The U.S. has deployed increasing automation for decades yet somehow we've grown jobs pretty steady with the growth of population.  The fears of automation destroying jobs have been written for decades. 

There is always an Amish style life to fall back on for those that don't want to be part of a modern economy. 

7 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Should we put a ban on further development and use of automation in manufacturing and service companies?  To do that is to risk being left behind by a world willing to innovate to a greater degree.  The U.S. has deployed increasing automation for decades yet somehow we've grown jobs pretty steady with the growth of population.  The fears of automation destroying jobs have been written for decades. 

There is always an Amish style life to fall back on for those that don't want to be part of a modern economy. 

Though it has many drawbacks, there are some appealing things about that lifestyle. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090329/mediaviewer/rm2358739200?ft0=name&fv0=nm0000534&ft1=image_type&fv1=still_frame

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

I was not saying it was good or bad but that we will have to adjust, that's all. 

7 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

The ordering machines they have at my local McDonalds now don't smell like cigarettes, have prison level tats, missing teeth, or unmentionable BO, and they all speak English.

I'll take it.

But the machine will still ask you to press "1" for English.

Some people get so mad about that they put bumper stickers on their broken down cars about it 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

But the machine will still ask you to press "1" for English.

Some people get so mad about that they put bumper stickers on their broken down cars about it 

It didn't seem to ask that but I had to have the kid (after he told me I had no choice) show me how to use it so maybe he did it. I was standing there at the counter with cash in my hand and they looked at me like I just rolled up to the drive-in in a model T. Still the difference here is vast. I assume the machine speaks both languages perfectly. None of the organ-banks at McDonalds can do either, but I at least have a leg up if we're speaking the same language.

And oh boy, ***** up my McGriddle (who puts CHEESE and EGG on a PANCAKE bread sandwich? NASTY!!!) and there will be a mad person.

5 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

And oh boy, ***** up my McGriddle (who puts CHEESE and EGG on a PANCAKE bread sandwich? NASTY!!!) and there will be a mad person.

If you think that's bad, go try the Burger King tacos, OMG, those are the worst! Someone got paid money to create and market that product, unreal 

Just now, Tiberius said:

If you think that's bad, go try the Burger King tacos, OMG, those are the worst! Someone got paid money to create and market that product, unreal 

Ugh. i can only imagine. I know they have to try and branch out but I only accept my ethnic cuisines from culturally authentic places like Taco Bell.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/25/these-workers-face-the-highest-risk-of-losing-their-jobs-to-automation.html

Automation threatening 25% of jobs in the US, especially the 'boring and repetitive' ones: Brookings study

• One-quarter of American jobs are at a high risk of automation.
  • The disruption will hit certain people harder than others, including low-wage earners and men.
  • These are the findings of a new report by the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based think tank, titled, Automation and Artificial Intelligence: How Machines Affect People and Places.

Nothing to do with paying a living wage 

Sooooooo how will adding your open border policy play into this challenge? 

19 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

It didn't seem to ask that but I had to have the kid (after he told me I had no choice) show me how to use it so maybe he did it. I was standing there at the counter with cash in my hand and they looked at me like I just rolled up to the drive-in in a model T. Still the difference here is vast. I assume the machine speaks both languages perfectly. None of the organ-banks at McDonalds can do either, but I at least have a leg up if we're speaking the same language.

And I bet it's easily programmable so we no longer discriminate against the Chinese, Japanese, French, Arabic etc speakers among us.  

14 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Only an dumbass would order tacos from Burger King.  Oh wait....never mind. 

19 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

And I bet it's easily programmable so we no longer discriminate against the Chinese, Japanese, French, Arabic etc speakers among us.  

Well I don't know about "discriminate" (I don't assume the guy who speaks mostly Spanish at MCDs is discriminating against my white behind, I just wish he spoke English so everything was easy) but that's a good point-- to be frank this may be something we look back on in a few years and be like....man this is better service for just about everybody because a computer can do in a multi-cultural world what Clyde or Paco just can't ever be expected to.

Cuz if they can't get a McGriddle right, I probably can't expect them to speak Tagalog and Russian.

Edited by Golden*Wheels

5 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Well I don't know about "discriminate" (I don't assume the guy who speaks mostly Spanish at MCDs is discriminating against my white behind, I just wish he spoke English so everything was easy) but that's a good point-- to be frank this may be something we look back on in a few years and be like....man this is better service for just about everybody because a computer can do in a multi-cultural world what Clyde or Paco just can't ever be expected to.

Cuz if they can't get a McGriddle right, I probably can't expect them to speak Tagalog and Russian.

If all these systems ONLY cater to people who speak English or Spanish I consider it discrimination against those who speak any other language other that English or Spanish.  Why are these systems only making themselves available Spanish speakers?  

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

If all these systems ONLY cater to people who speak English or Spanish I consider it discrimination against those who speak any other language other that English or Spanish.  Why are these systems only making themselves available Spanish speakers?  

I guess I'd see discrimination in a what 'languages-can-I-use-to-order at a kiosk' sense as an purposeful action, rather than a completely unintended lack of action. They don't mean to exclude Japanese or Arabic speakers I assume, there just isn't enough need for them to bother doing it yet. But there's enough Spanish peaking people that there is. To me that just makes $ sense.

But with the way computers and systems scale nowadays I bet your version is on the way pretty fast. It'll make the most money.

3 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

I guess I'd see discrimination in a what 'languages-can-I-use-to-order at a kiosk' sense as an purposeful action, rather than a completely unintended lack of action. They don't mean to exclude Japanese or Arabic speakers I assume, there just isn't enough need for them to bother doing it yet. But there's enough Spanish peaking people that there is. To me that just makes $ sense.

But with the way computers and systems scale nowadays I bet your version is on the way pretty fast. It'll make the most money.

Yeah it's because Japanese make it a point to learn English. 

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Yeah it's because Japanese make it a point to learn English. 

A good idea IMO, and that could for sure be part of it.....but there's also just a lot less of them, both in the US and in the world.  Arabic would probably be a better comparison, I think.

I don't think Spanish speakers are necessarily the only ESL type folks in the states who prefer their "native tongue".

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Only an dumbass would order tacos from Burger King.  Oh wait....never mind. 

That's why all BK's have the language of Tiberius built into their touch screens.

On 9/12/2019 at 2:43 PM, Tiberius said:

About the only time I have agreed with you. Tried one yesterday and ugh!

I've been begging for automation for years.

I hate ketchup on burgers and it's near impossible to get one without it.

The last time I  tried, I waited an extra 10 minutes for my "special order" and the idiots still put ketchup in it. That was 20 years ago.

I haven't ordered anything requiring instructionns since.

Kiosks will open a whole new world of food to me. ?

• 3 weeks later...