$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

22 minutes ago, Hedge said:

San Fran has a place, called Creator, which goes even further and does the full assembly line. It gets pretty good reviews.

I'll have to check it out.

I'm starting to notice the fully robotic coffee bars now.

Can someone tell me why we don’t simply tie the minimum wage to an automatic annual raise indexed to inflation? Or would that be way to simple for these congressional morons? Companies could then budget for it. The increases would be really small on an annual basis. They do this with Social Security and other federal programs.

26 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Can someone tell me why we don’t simply tie the minimum wage to an automatic annual raise indexed to inflation? Or would that be way to simple for these congressional morons? Companies could then budget for it. The increases would be really small on an annual basis. They do this with Social Security and other federal programs.

the idea is to get a job that:

1) ties you to a government or union and keeps you employed (not happy though) with a large pension at the end if you don't expire first

or

2) the free market of possibly getting fired tomorrow but higher rewards for success

(it's fun when people who make a lot of money realize they are really in the first category, then they start to complain..... like all the doctors i know...)

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

You're mixing up State & Federal. The federal minimum wage is 7.25 an hour while each state sets their own. Some cities set their own too. Because a one size fits all approach wouldn't take into account the different conditions and abnormalities in each state it wouldn't work. Besides there's a good chance the federal minimum wage is unconstitutional anyway. Here's a chart:

https://www.minimum-wage.org/wage-by-state

State Name Minimum Wage Rate Department Name Rate Adjusted Yearly
Alabama $7.25 / hour Alabama Department of Labor  
Alaska $9.89 / hour Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development  
Arizona $11.00 / hour Industrial Commission of Arizona  
Arkansas $9.25 / hour Arkansas Department of Labor  
California $12.00 / hour California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and the Office of the Labor Commissioner  
Colorado $11.10 / hour Colorado Department of Labor and Employment  
Connecticut $10.10 / hour Connecticut Department of Labor  
Delaware $8.75 / hour Delaware Department of Labor  
Florida $8.46 / hour Florida Division of Workforce Services  
Georgia $7.25 / hour Georgia Department of Labor  
Hawaii $10.10 / hour Hawaii Department of Labor & Industrial Relations  
Idaho $7.25 / hour Idaho Department of Labor  
Illinois $8.25 / hour Illinois Department of Labor  
Indiana $7.25 / hour Indiana Department of Labor  
Iowa $7.25 / hour Iowa Labor Services Division  
Kansas $7.25 / hour Kansas Department of Labor  
Kentucky $7.25 / hour Kentucky Labor Cabinet  
Louisiana $7.25 / hour Louisiana Workforce Commission  
Maine $11.00 / hour Maine Department of Labor  
Maryland $10.10 / hour Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation  
Massachusetts $12.00 / hour Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor & Workforce Development  
Michigan $9.45 / hour Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)  
Minnesota $9.86 / hour Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry  
Mississippi $7.25 / hour Mississippi Department of Employment Security  
Missouri $8.60 / hour Missouri Labor and Industrial Relations Commission  
Montana $8.50 / hour Montana Department of Labor and Industry  
Nebraska $9.00 / hour Nebraska Department of Labor  
Nevada $8.25 / hour Nevada Department of Business and Industry  
New Hampshire $7.25 / hour New Hampshire Department of Labor  
New Jersey $10.00 / hour New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development  
New Mexico $7.50 / hour New Mexico Department of Work Force Solutions  
New York $11.10 / hour New York Department of Labor  
North Carolina $7.25 / hour North Carolina Department of Labor  
North Dakota $7.25 / hour North Dakota Department of Labor  
Ohio $8.55 / hour Ohio Department of Commerce  
Oklahoma $7.25 / hour Oklahoma Department of Labor  
Oregon $11.25 / hour Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries  
Pennsylvania $7.25 / hour Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry  
Rhode Island $10.50 / hour Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training  
South Carolina $7.25 / hour South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulations  
South Dakota $9.10 / hour South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation  
Tennessee $7.25 / hour Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development  
Texas $7.25 / hour Texas Workforce Commission  
Utah $7.25 / hour Utah Labor Commission  
Vermont $10.78 / hour Vermont Department of Labor  
Virginia $7.25 / hour Virginia Department of Labor and Industry  
Washington $12.00 / hour Washington Department of Labor and Industries  
West Virginia $8.75 / hour West Virginia Division of Labor  
Wisconsin $7.25 / hour Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development  
Wyoming $7.25 / hour Wyoming Department of Workforce Service  
Puerto Rico $6.55 / hour Puerto Rico Department of Labor and Human Resources  
District of Columbia $14.00 / hour District of Columbia Department of Employment Services  

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You're mixing up State & Federal. The federal minimum wage is 7.25 an hour while each state sets their own. Some cities set their own too. Because a one size fits all approach wouldn't take into account the different conditions and abnormalities in each state it wouldn't work. Besides there's a good chance the federal minimum wage is unconstitutional anyway. Here's a chart:

https://www.minimum-wage.org/wage-by-state

State Name Minimum Wage Rate Department Name Rate Adjusted Yearly
Alabama $7.25 / hour Alabama Department of Labor  
Alaska $9.89 / hour Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development  
Arizona $11.00 / hour Industrial Commission of Arizona  
Arkansas $9.25 / hour Arkansas Department of Labor  
California $12.00 / hour California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement and the Office of the Labor Commissioner  
Colorado $11.10 / hour Colorado Department of Labor and Employment  
Connecticut $10.10 / hour Connecticut Department of Labor  
Delaware $8.75 / hour Delaware Department of Labor  
Florida $8.46 / hour Florida Division of Workforce Services  
Georgia $7.25 / hour Georgia Department of Labor  
Hawaii $10.10 / hour Hawaii Department of Labor & Industrial Relations  
Idaho $7.25 / hour Idaho Department of Labor  
Illinois $8.25 / hour Illinois Department of Labor  
Indiana $7.25 / hour Indiana Department of Labor  
Iowa $7.25 / hour Iowa Labor Services Division  
Kansas $7.25 / hour Kansas Department of Labor  
Kentucky $7.25 / hour Kentucky Labor Cabinet  
Louisiana $7.25 / hour Louisiana Workforce Commission  
Maine $11.00 / hour Maine Department of Labor  
Maryland $10.10 / hour Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation  
Massachusetts $12.00 / hour Massachusetts Executive Office of Labor & Workforce Development  
Michigan $9.45 / hour Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)  
Minnesota $9.86 / hour Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry  
Mississippi $7.25 / hour Mississippi Department of Employment Security  
Missouri $8.60 / hour Missouri Labor and Industrial Relations Commission  
Montana $8.50 / hour Montana Department of Labor and Industry  
Nebraska $9.00 / hour Nebraska Department of Labor  
Nevada $8.25 / hour Nevada Department of Business and Industry  
New Hampshire $7.25 / hour New Hampshire Department of Labor  
New Jersey $10.00 / hour New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development  
New Mexico $7.50 / hour New Mexico Department of Work Force Solutions  
New York $11.10 / hour New York Department of Labor  
North Carolina $7.25 / hour North Carolina Department of Labor  
North Dakota $7.25 / hour North Dakota Department of Labor  
Ohio $8.55 / hour Ohio Department of Commerce  
Oklahoma $7.25 / hour Oklahoma Department of Labor  
Oregon $11.25 / hour Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries  
Pennsylvania $7.25 / hour Pennsylvania Department of Labor and Industry  
Rhode Island $10.50 / hour Rhode Island Department of Labor and Training  
South Carolina $7.25 / hour South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulations  
South Dakota $9.10 / hour South Dakota Department of Labor and Regulation  
Tennessee $7.25 / hour Tennessee Department of Labor & Workforce Development  
Texas $7.25 / hour Texas Workforce Commission  
Utah $7.25 / hour Utah Labor Commission  
Vermont $10.78 / hour Vermont Department of Labor  
Virginia $7.25 / hour Virginia Department of Labor and Industry  
Washington $12.00 / hour Washington Department of Labor and Industries  
West Virginia $8.75 / hour West Virginia Division of Labor  
Wisconsin $7.25 / hour Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development  
Wyoming $7.25 / hour Wyoming Department of Workforce Service  
Puerto Rico $6.55 / hour Puerto Rico Department of Labor and Human Resources  
  $14.00 / hour    

What? You don’t say? Yes....I’m aware of minimum wage rates. But we do have a federal wage and it should be tied to inflation! States can do whatever they want above and beyond that. (The chart was unnecessary.)

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the idea is to get a job that:

1) ties you to a government or union and keeps you employed (not happy though) with a large pension at the end if you don't expire first

or

2) the free market of possibly getting fired tomorrow but higher rewards for success

(it's fun when people who make a lot of money realize they are really in the first category, then they start to complain..... like all the doctors i know...)

That’s a very nice little speech but I have no idea what you’re talking about. The real reason why it’s not tied to inflation is because officials on both sides like to keep it as an issue to run on every few years. It’s disgusting.

27 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What? You don’t say? Yes....I’m aware of minimum wage rates. But we do have a federal wage and it should be tied to inflation! States can do whatever they want above and beyond that. (The chart was unnecessary.)

That’s a very nice little speech but I have no idea what you’re talking about. The real reason why it’s not tied to inflation is because officials on both sides like to keep it as an issue to run on every few years. It’s disgusting.

you came up with an INSTANT solving of inflation

i guess i should have bowed before your genius

this is all a big joke, nobody cares about helping people who are terminally unemployable and living on a pittance for income....

17 minutes ago, row_33 said:

you came up with an INSTANT solving of inflation

i guess i should have bowed before your genius

this is all a big joke, nobody cares about helping people who are terminally unemployable and living on a pittance for income....

You’re apparently not capable of higher level thinking. It’s NOT that politicians don’t care about terminally unemployable (by the way the wage itself means they ARE indeed employed...duh!). The reason they don’t tie it to inflation is not out of cruelty. It’s out of the self centered need to make this a wedge issue they can run on every few years. The sooner you realize that your government officials cares more about themselves than they do about the citizens of this country, the more informed you’ll be. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Angry-man-shouting-and-pointing-to-camerI made $1.80 minimum wage back in 1971, and was damn glad to have it.

arrived with 2 $1 Canadian dollar bills and an address in pencil, hoping they'd take me in and give me a job in constuction

then i could get settled and they'd send me a 14-year old neighbourhood girl to marry, never met her

(this is the story of a few people form the old country, they did just fine, eventually)

15 hours ago, B-Man said:

Angry-man-shouting-and-pointing-to-camerI made $1.80 minimum wage back in 1971, and was damn glad to have it.

I started working for my dad at his restaurant in 1975 at the age of 14. He sat me down in his office one day:

Dad:  Jim I’m going to give you a raise!!

Cook Jim:  You have to. They just raised the minimum wage 

Dad:  Why you little *****!  ?

Edited by Chef Jim

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I started working for my dad at his restaurant in 1975 at the age of 14. He sat me down in his office one day:

Dad:  Jim I’m going to give you a raise!!

Cook Jim:  You have to. They just raised the minimum wage 

Dad:  Why you little *****!  ?

LOL.

I worked at a gas station/car wash for about a year in the latter 70's in Buffalo area.  Full service back then, no self serve.  There was a crew of about 4 of us working at all times.  All part-timers mostly high school students.  Wage then was a bit over $2/hour and the minimum wage rose about 15 cents.  The boss gathered us to tell us.  Most of the conversation was about what we needed to do better/faster going forward.  We had been paid commission on sales of oil, trans fluid, windshield washer fluid and dry gas in the winter.  He reduced the commission.  Funny how that works. 

Edited by keepthefaith

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/25/these-workers-face-the-highest-risk-of-losing-their-jobs-to-automation.html

Automation threatening 25% of jobs in the US, especially the 'boring and repetitive' ones: Brookings study

• One-quarter of American jobs are at a high risk of automation.
  • The disruption will hit certain people harder than others, including low-wage earners and men.
  • These are the findings of a new report by the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based think tank, titled, Automation and Artificial Intelligence: How Machines Affect People and Places.

Nothing to do with paying a living wage 

12 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/25/these-workers-face-the-highest-risk-of-losing-their-jobs-to-automation.html

Automation threatening 25% of jobs in the US, especially the 'boring and repetitive' ones: Brookings study

• One-quarter of American jobs are at a high risk of automation.
  • The disruption will hit certain people harder than others, including low-wage earners and men.
  • These are the findings of a new report by the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based think tank, titled, Automation and Artificial Intelligence: How Machines Affect People and Places.

Nothing to do with paying a living wage 

As automation gets less expensive and as the cost to employ and provide benefits for low skilled labor rises, tasks done by humans will be reduced.  It's another argument FOR reducing illegal and low skilled immigration. 

The auto industry has already experienced this as MANY higher paid union factory workers have been replaced in the plants with automation.