$15 Minimum Wage Battle Moves To Other Industries

Tiberius

26 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I will certainly stop tipping in DC.

Between this, the 10% DC tax on meals and the oft-applied 18% gratuity on meals, this is about a 50% hike on restaurant prices.  

50% hike on meals? That's quite a round up. Regardless, a gratuity is a tip. Did you take a dose of gator this morning?

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

That's kind of the norm for most restaurants I've been to.

I hate the policy. To me, a tip is to reward great service.

I would argue that if you are going to have a minimum wage, companies allowed to consider tips as part of an employee's minimum wage is crap. Pay them minimum wage, and let's do away with tipping. And this comes from a guy who grew up from his pre-teens, and straight through college, waiting tables and tending bar.

One of the things that made Uber so successful at first was not so much that they were cheaper than cabs, but that you could get in, get somewhere, and get out, and not be expected to anything other than get out of the car when you were done. Eliminating tips was a huge draw.

So if restaurants are going to have to pay their service staff $15/hour, tell customers to stop tipping. Let's see how that flies for a while.

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

I would argue that if you are going to have a minimum wage, companies allowed to consider tips as part of an employee's minimum wage is crap. Pay them minimum wage, and let's do away with tipping. And this comes from a guy who grew up from his pre-teens, and straight through college, waiting tables and tending bar.

One of the things that made Uber so successful at first was not so much that they were cheaper than cabs, but that you could get in, get somewhere, and get out, and not be expected to anything other than get out of the car when you were done. Eliminating tips was a huge draw.

So if restaurants are going to have to pay their service staff $15/hour, tell customers to stop tipping. Let's see how that flies for a while.

There goes the service at a good restaurant. Good service people at nice places make a lot more than $15 an hour.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

There goes the service at a good restaurant. Good service people at nice places make a lot more than $15 an hour.

The only thing worse than mandatory tipping is a server who expects a tip no matter how ****ty the service.

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Yes and no. Restaurants can now compete for the better servers by paying above the minimum wage. Just like most every other business.

If the restaurant can't afford to keep up with those salaries, then the market will ultimately correct them. Maybe they go out of business. Maybe, like most companies, they find ways to trim fat or have owners take home less.

Again, this is all predicated on the concept that "If you're going to have a minimum wage..."

Alternately, let's do away with minimum wage and see what happens.

Edited by LABillzFan

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

Yes and no. Restaurants can now compete for the better servers by paying above the minimum wage. Just like most every other business.

If the restaurant can't afford to keep up with those salaries, then the market will ultimately correct them. Maybe they go out of business. Maybe, like most companies, they find ways to trim fat or have owners take home less.

Again, this is all predicated on the concept that "If you're going to have a minimum wage..."

Alternately, let's do away with minimum wage and see what happens.

I don't think you understand the business model restaurant owners are constrained by.

5 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Exactly.  Five star dining goes right out the window under this model.

I don't know if that's true. The wealthy will always pay whatever they want to get a great meal at a great restaurant, and never think twice about the bill.  You lose the middle-class wage earner as a regular customer, but the wealthy will always pay whatever they can to get what they want.

1 minute ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

I don't think you understand the business model restaurant owners are constrained by.

I do, believe it or not. I'm just saying that if you are going to have a minimum wage, giving people a loop hole of "Well, they earn tips, so we are exempt from that" is something that should be corrected. Especially if you're going to be forced  to pay them $15/hour.

I'm an advocate for raising the minimum wage for servers - it's currently at around $2.08/hour, and they usually are saddled with at least two hours of side work & cleaning every shift where they earn the same rate. Most places require servers to tip the bussers, the bartenders, and hosts.

Paying servers and bartenders a flat $15.00/hour minimum wage is a bad idea. Tips provide the incentive for servers to provide superior service; promptness, anticipation of the customers' needs, table maintenance, suggestive selling and more will become rare to the point where it could go away altogether.

I believe an hourly boost from $2.08 to approximately 50% of whatever the national minimum wage is at the time would be fair. It would help balance the inequity in pay for non-service work (side work, etc) and still be low enough to provide incentive for the servers to be attentive.

Restaurant owners should also be made to stop forcing servers to pay tips to their bussers and hosts, but they should still be made to tip out their bartenders, who are tipped employees as well.

Edited by Azalin
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Went into a local McDonald's this week.  2 kiosks for ordering are now installed in that location.  Might be old news but I'm not in McDonalds very often. 

They're all over the place out here. Everywhere. Have been for quite a while.

If you're going to get rid of tipping, then implement a way to call a server to the table like they do in Asia/Europe, because you well NEVER see the waiter again after he takes your order.

15 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Went into a local McDonald's this week.  2 kiosks for ordering are now installed in that location.  Might be old news but I'm not in McDonalds very often. 

I can't wait for these to be everywhere.

On 6/20/2018 at 8:25 PM, keepthefaith said:

Just realized that my link in post #2 of this thread is broken, so I fixed it.

It was this:kfc-self-order-kiosk-1.jpg?w=848

• Like (+1) 1

The complete burger making robot is here....

http://www.wsj.com/video/this-burger-bot-makes-your-lunch-with-no-human-help/59F0787F-D9FF-4787-A51B-5CCD5F91D7F5.html

On ‎6‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:25 PM, keepthefaith said:

McD's is rolling them out all over the US. Most stores I've been at, the managers encourage the employees to show/help the customers how to use them, instead of taking orders at the counter. But if you want to pay cash, the kiosk only do credit cards. So you can place your order at the kiosk, take your receipt to the counter to pay cash. 

And if you order a Quarter Pounder and hear a cowbell in the kitchen, that's the signal for them to get your burger cooking. 

• Haha (+1) 1

• 3 months later...

Oh no! What will we ever do?? 

Phony hysterics over the minimum wage rate could end if most employers did this. “Amazon to Raise Its Minimum U.S. Wage to $15 an Hour. . . . The new minimum wage will kick in Nov. 1, covering more than 250,000 current employees and 100,000 seasonal holiday employees. The company said it also will start lobbying Congress for an increase in the federal minimum wage, which was set nearly a decade ago and is currently $7.25 an hour.”  (Amazon founder and chief executive Jeffrey P. Bezos owns The Post.)