Incomplete Passes to Sammy Holding Back Bills Offense?

How Incomplete Passes to Sammy Watkins Are Holding Back the Buffalo Bills' Offense

3837_a1.jpg

Back in May, during the most boring part of the NFL calendar, I wrote an article discussing the value of an incomplete pass, and considered the damage teams were doing to their expected point outcomes by force-feeding their top receiver the football.

You can check out that article here, if you'd like, but the takeaway was as follows: Teams with bad quarterbacks shouldn't force one receiver the ball, and teams with strong deep-threat receivers generally shouldn't force-feed their best receiver the ball, either.

Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and A.J. Green were the primary examples of receivers who were "hurting" their teams by being targeted so heavily, and negative outcomes seemed to happen more often when those receivers were being targeted.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The number of passes targeted for Woods and to a lesser extent Hogan in recent games would appear to counter the argument that Orton is 'forcing' a high number of attempts at Watkins. I suspect Watkins injuries are hampering his production and play.

The Bills offense suffers from a lack of big plays and red zone production due to some combination of execution, personel use such as no use of Mike Wiliams known past proficiency in the red zone, and play calling. The first is up to the players and the latter two can be corrected by coaching staff decisions.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

The number of passes targeted for Woods and to a lesser extent Hogan in recent games would appear to counter the argument that Orton is 'forcing' a high number of attempts at Watkins. I suspect Watkins injuries are hampering his production and play.

The Bills offense suffers from a lack of big plays and red zone production due to some combination of execution, personel use such as no use of Mike Wiliams known past proficiency in the red zone, and play calling. The first is up to the players and the latter two can be corrected by coaching staff decisions.

good post. It's crazy that we struggle in the red zone yet are not using a known red zone player. This coaching staff! :(

Woods = best receiver on the team at this point in time

IT's not the simple. Watkins draws the best cover and is the focal point of the defense. It makes Woods' job a lot easier. If Watkins wasn't on this team, Woods would be struggling too. He is a very good #2 wr.

good post. It's crazy that we struggle in the red zone yet are not using a known red zone player. This coaching staff! :(

IT's not the simple. Watkins draws the best cover and is the focal point of the defense. It makes Woods' job a lot easier. If Watkins wasn't on this team, Woods would be struggling too. He is a very good #2 wr.

I know it's not that simple, but I didn't feel like elaborating, to be honest. I only say that he's the best at this point in time because I think he's more consistent with catching catchable balls and he's healthier.

I think Watkins is the best receiver on the team. I just don't think he's performing as well as he will end up performing with a) health and b) experience.

I would love for Watkins/Woods to become another Moulds/Price. More of a 1 and 1A, than a 1 and 2.

Not true. Woods did not struggle with Stevie Johnson here, and he was a crappy #1.

Not true. Woods did not struggle with Stevie Johnson here, and he was a crappy #1.

What? Stevie was in the Sammy role last year. Woods gets #2 cbs and nevers faces bracket coverage.

You're both wrong, it was EJ's fault. :nana:

Edited by The Wiz

I know it's not that simple, but I didn't feel like elaborating, to be honest. I only say that he's the best at this point in time because I think he's more consistent with catching catchable balls and he's healthier.

I think Watkins is the best receiver on the team. I just don't think he's performing as well as he will end up performing with a) health and b) experience.

I would love for Watkins/Woods to become another Moulds/Price. More of a 1 and 1A, than a 1 and 2.

Got'cha. The whole idea of #1 and #2 receivers is sort of stupid in the first place. But Watkins has far superior physical skills to Woods. That's why he is thought of to be a franchise type wr. Woods is great route runner but lacks the elite speed to be a true "#1".

I think throwing the ball to Hogan is holding the offense back. Orton loves to go to him on 3rd downs and it seems time and time again Hogan will make the catch but come up short of the conversion. I don't have any data to back this up, it's just something I've noticed on quite a few occasions. It drives me crazy.

Watkins hasn't been getting the separation he needs to be getting against certain CBs, whether that's due to health, or lack of skill (he's a rookie afterall), a combination of the two, who knows. I'm glad Woods and Hogan have been getting more looks lately, they've been very reliable.

I think throwing the ball to Hogan is holding the offense back. Orton loves to go to him on 3rd downs and it seems time and time again Hogan will make the catch but come up short of the conversion. I don't have any data to back this up, it's just something I've noticed on quite a few occasions. It drives me crazy.

Yeah, I've noticed this too, I think maybe instead of running to the 1st down marker, he needs to run to 1 yard beyond it. Hopefully the coaches are working with our WRs on this.

There is no question about it.

Then he will make one decent or good play a game and people will think he is really good. He's really pedestrian is wht he is, and I truly believe we would be a much better offense if we played watkins, woods and Williams as our three, with goodwin when he is healthy and Hogan when any of the other four were banged up. The ST may have suffered slightly because of Hogan being good, but he would have been active more than half of the games so he would have been there for that. And the ST. had a lot of good players and starters out there any way so he probably wouldn't have been missed.

This and Urbik have been the biggest coaching blunders and it is glaring IMO.

Watkins hasn't been getting the separation he needs to be getting against certain CBs, whether that's due to health, or lack of skill (he's a rookie afterall), a combination of the two, who knows. I'm glad Woods and Hogan have been getting more looks lately, they've been very reliable.

Last week vs. Cleveland when they showed the mini highlights of the first half vs. Haden he had separation time and time again. He should have had a long TD if Orton could have hit him deep and he was open quite a bit but Orton simply didn't look his way on those plays. It seems that Orton only goes to Watkins when he's covered but when he's open he looks other places. It's baffling.

Last week vs. Cleveland when they showed the mini highlights of the first half vs. Haden he had separation time and time again. He should have had a long TD if Orton could have hit him deep and he was open quite a bit but Orton simply didn't look his way on those plays. It seems that Orton only goes to Watkins when he's covered but when he's open he looks other places. It's baffling.

If he's not looking his way, then Watkins isn't the primary target on the play, maybe not even the secondary target.

Syracuse's OC and a QB who is average at best are holding back the offense.

This...

I'd also call into question the statistical analysis breakdown in the article.

And just to add - pending defensive consistency and retaining player talent - this team is starving for a starter at QB which cannot be addressed in the upcoming draft IMO. But just as important is our lackluster OL. Now I would be the last person to use the Cowboys as an example of anything other than the perfect team to cheer against, but the way they re-built their OL with consistent mediocre records the past three years is something to at least consider. Rebuilding our OL opens up opportunities and provides greater cushion to other offensive weapons.

It also helps when our OC recognizes our strengths and weaknesses in personnel, especially in the context of our OPP. I am baffled by our offensive strategy on a weekly basis. If only we could pull a broncos and bring in a Peyton Manning-esque QB to round out this team and give us some substantial hope for a change...

Edited by ctk232