A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there is no such thing as a shutdown corner, why draft one with a top 10 pick, this on a team with serious quarterback problems?

The rule changes have completely revolutionized this sport. What IS interesting is that the most important positions remain the same.

NFL football teams need a better than average QB, pass rushers and blocking in order to win football games.

Defensive backs are of little importance compared to the above.

And btw, Searcy and Robey are making play after play. Isn't it interesting to note where they were drafted as compared to the rest of our secondary?

If we're going by positional importance, then no position other than QB should be a top 10 IMO. That said, I can't fault the team for passing on Brandon Weeden and Russell Wilson with the pick they used on Gilmore.

My personal opinion is that outside of QB and pass rusher, every position pales in comparison in terms of importance. Even OTs are becoming easier and easier to find nowadays.

As for the playmaking of Robey/Searcy in comparison to Gilmore, if hope that's the case. For one, safeties should be the guys makin the most plays on the football, as they rarely find themselves in 1-on-1 coverage. I also don't put a ton of stock into which CBs have the most PDs etc, as I don't find it to be a great barometer on play. That said, Robey clearly has very good ball skills.

Anyway, I know you're against selecting certain positions in the first round, and that's totally fine. My statement was a nod to your ability to separate that viewpoint from the player and his performance.

You are right, but in SOME situations they are. Teams move receivers around these days. It isn't like Mel Blount covering a teams best receiver on every play.

My point is that I will take pass rushers over DBs every day. And for that matter qbs over rbs.

It's a different game today.

Agreed with those preferences:)

i usually dont say this, nor agree with hardly anyone here, but i agree with every point you said (except 5) wtf is that song?. I would add sammy is a soft as a baby marshmellow whether hampered by injury or not. he goes down faster than tim brown ever did after a catch. i hope its injury, i would hate to think hes actually that much of a wuss. anyway great post. Edited by enlightener

I'm sorry. I don't mean to sound dismissive. OK? In fact, I apologize for sounding as such.

I ask you why, in your opinion, do the Bills have a better record this season.

I think that its primarily because of the pass rush. Next (imho) would be because Orton isn't as painfully bad as Manuel. I really don't think that its because of the secondary.

Put a top 15 qb and better blocking on the Buffalo Bills and they are superbowl contenders but of course, this is simply mho.

And btw thanks for the dialogue.

no doubt the investments on the defensive side of the ball are paying off, including Gilmore (RD1), Aaron Williams (RD2) and McKelvin (RD1) before he got hurt.

My point is that you can win with different defensive philosophies ... Giants recent super bowls were about the front 7. Seahawks last year was about the LOB Secondary (and a 3rd round QB). My preference (and I acknowledge it as much given there are different paths to success) would be to build from the secondary because that keeps the play in front of them and neutralizes the big play from the offense, and contributes in run support and with coverage sacks. And those games where the pass rush isnt getting pressure (which happens no matter how good the front 7) you're not exposed. A weak secondary and no pressure, is doomed

Edited by JTSP

The Seahawks had a very good and very deep front last year too. With a couple of those guys departed to Jacksonville their rotation hasn't been nearly as good and the secondary has suffered. Anyone who doesn't believe in the value of rotating the defensive front, not overplaying guys and keeping them fresh for those critical pass rush situations need only look at the Bills this year and what Schwartz has been able to do given Lawson, Bryant, Charles and Wynn as guys he can rotate in.

John, you have nowhere to go wrt Spiller. And btw, I think that the combo of Robey and Searcy have won us as many football games as Spiller and Whitner (top 10 picks) or more.

Our front 4 is what might get us to or even over .500 this year, coupled with somewhat respectable qb play.

This of course is strictly my opinion, and it is always great to hear from you. :)

Big Apple Bill, Robey is one of my favorite players on the Bills. His football instincts are elite and he is a tough player.He is a terrific slot corner. If you put him on the outside he would be out of his element and not be a successful player. The role he is playing as an inside back suits his talents.

Coupling Whitner with Spiller is an offense that you will have to do penance for. :devil: Whitner was a failed draft pick not because he was a safety but because he was over-drafted. My primary criticism of Spiller has little to do with him and more to do with the way he is used by this very unimaginative coaching staff. The staff built a large, slow and sluggish OL that is incapable of utiliizing his talents. Spiller is not primarily an inside runner; I wish the play caller will stop with that foolishness. That isn't his fault. Since Spiller has been on the team there hasn't been a player who has made more big plays than he has.

I strongly believe that Whaley is going to sign him to a deal (possibly short term because of his injury) that will keep him on the team. He values big play players that are hard to find.

Spiller wasn't doing much to begin the season, but watching these plodders run behind other unathletic plodders makes me wish he was healthy and in there. He would've broken a few big gains the past couple of weeks. Dixon is 100% heart but simply lacks the athleticism to make a cutback. FJax's body has started to wear down big time, there is no explosion there. And Bryce Brown probably cost us the playoffs with that fumble against KC. I miss CJ.

Spiller wasn't doing much to begin the season, but watching these plodders run behind other unathletic plodders makes me wish he was healthy and in there. He would've broken a few big gains the past couple of weeks. Dixon is 100% heart but simply lacks the athleticism to make a cutback. FJax's body has started to wear down big time, there is no explosion there. And Bryce Brown probably cost us the playoffs with that fumble against KC. I miss CJ.

A good offensive mind would have made Spiller a weapon. Hackett runs him up the middle.

But all Hackett needs is a back like Bryce Brown to fit his system. :)

A good offensive mind would have made Spiller a weapon. Hackett runs him up the middle.

Whaley traded for Bryce Brown, Mike Williams, and Sammy Watkins, all three of whom are under-utilized by Whaley's coaches. I'll keep saying it: the coaches and GM are not on the same page, and it's going to end poorly for one group. Let's assume losses to GB, Denver and NE - that means best-case scenario is 8-8, which I just don't think is good enough to save Marrone's job. And if they somehow lose to Oakland, meaning they end the season with four losses including to a cellar-dweller - you can definitely kiss Marrone goodbye. I don't mean to rain on the parade but I'm afraid the Browns game was the high point and the next month is going to be very, very rough.

The way the OL is constructed makes it difficult for Spiller to succeed in this offense. Swing passes and outside runs are not effective if your linemen can't move. But even within the physical limitations of the linemen's makeup Spiller has not been properly utilized.

If you put Spiller on a Kelly coached team in Philly he would be a sterling player who consistely makes big plays. Playing to a player's weaknesses rather than his strengths is not smart. It's a shame that one of the most talented players on this team (and in the league) is being squandered because of a dullard approach to the offense.

I do believe that Whaley respects Spiller's special abilities more than Marrone does. The combination of Watkins and Spiller should spread the defense and result in a number dynamic plays. It's such a shame and so wasteful of talent.

The way the OL is constructed makes it difficult for Spiller to succeed in this offense. Swing passes and outside runs are not effective if your linemen can't move. But even within the physical limitations of the linemen's makeup Spiller has not been properly utilized.

If you put Spiller on a Kelly coached team in Philly he would be a sterling player who consistely makes big plays. Playing to a player's weaknesses rather than his strengths is not smart. It's a shame that one of the most talented players on this team (and in the league) is being squandered because of a dullard approach to the offense.

I do believe that Whaley respects Spiller's special abilities more than Marrone does. The combination of Watkins and Spiller should spread the defense and result in a number dynamic plays. It's such a shame and so wasteful of talent.

But it also reflects an utter lack of sound strategic planning, and some of that falls squarely on Whaley's shoulders. He hired a coach with a ground-and-pound, ball-control offensive philosophy who must've made clear his preference for big, lumbering offensive linemen and bunch formations. Instead of arming this coach with big athletic guards and tight ends, he stockpiled speedsters like Bryce Brown and Watkins, and traded for Mike Williams. I'm just not sure what the overall strategy is - what is the "elevator speech" that Whaley gives to describe the Bills' strategy on offense? Does it mirror what Marrone would say? If not, doesn't that speak volumes about the state of OBD?

1) All Preston Brown, Bradham and Spikes did today was kick peoples asses. This is one trio of tough, badass linebackers.

2) The pick by Orton in the early second quarter (in the end zone) was a bad one. It actually looked like a rookie mistake. More on Orton to come.

3) Gilmore was getting beat on short passes in the entire first half. I must however say that he came around and had an all around good game.

4) I am concerned about Cordy Glenn. He looked like a plodding Right Tackle today imo. I don't know what his problem is but it is a concern.

5) I live in a silver mine,

and I call it Beggar's Tomb.

I got me a violin

and I beg you call the tune.

Anybody's choice,

I can hear your voice.

Wo-oah what I want to know-oh,

How does the song go?

6) Sammy Watkins is hobbled. There is no debate here. I really do hope that his condition doesn't get worse.

7) A few have you have taken me to task about my praise of Mr. Searcy. Don't get me wrong, I love the dialogue but there is no longer any doubt how much value he brings to this football team. Once again, he will be a head coach some day. This man is PURE football.

8) This game appeared to be slow today in terms of the footing. Nobody looked THAT fast. Do you agree? In the Alabama game last night players on both teams were flying all over the field. Maybe it was be me.

9) In the credit where it is due department, Orton came around and was able to hit Woods with some truly nice passes. The TD to Hogan was also a great play.

10) The passes to Gray were very good, however strange, no? The guy looks like Hercules and ran out of bounds. Plus, he seemed to be alone on both of his big plays. I admit it, I didn't know that the man was on our football team. I had really no idea what was going on lol.

11) This defensive line reminds me of the one in which Bryce Paup had 17 1/2 sacks and was the NFL Defensive MVP. They take turns having great games and feed off of what is happening with each other. Mario was doubled all day and I think held more often than not. His fellow linemen were able to take advantage of this. How great is that?! My hope is that the Bills offer a big contract to Hughes right now. He is a modern day Bryce Paup imo.

12) I really like Marrone, but I am not his biggest fan in terms of being a head coach. That said, he was great today. It was his best game ever in terms of taking control and managing game and the clock, or so I think.

13) I am on a personal quest to be a better person. I won't go into this but I am going to regress just a bit. Watching KW knock that little obnoxious twit on his ass was a sight to behold.

14) Congrats my friends. We truly do deserve good days.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Totally Agree... Thank You for your posting your Observations...

But it also reflects an utter lack of sound strategic planning, and some of that falls squarely on Whaley's shoulders. He hired a coach with a ground-and-pound, ball-control offensive philosophy who must've made clear his preference for big, lumbering offensive linemen and bunch formations. Instead of arming this coach with big athletic guards and tight ends, he stockpiled speedsters like Bryce Brown and Watkins, and traded for Mike Williams. I'm just not sure what the overall strategy is - what is the "elevator speech" that Whaley gives to describe the Bills' strategy on offense? Does it mirror what Marrone would say? If not, doesn't that speak volumes about the state of OBD?

Marrone was part of the staff of New Orleans under a very offensive minded HC, Payton. I'm sure when DM interviewed for the job he didn't stress that his approach to the offense was a dullard approach. I agree that there is a conflict/tension between Whaley's view toward the offense and Marrone's approach. Despite what I just stated I strongly believe that Marrone will be back next year. In my opinion what this organization doesn't need is another coaching staff change. Allowing this current staff to make adjustments is better than turning it over and starting over again.

The bottom line is that Marrone is taking an 8-8 or at best 9-7 type team and having it in general play up to its level of talent. That is an accomplishment worth rewarding by bringing him back.

Edited by JohnC

It's not that simple.

And this response isn't just for you it's also for all 'madden fans' who think their game equates to real football.

The spread can't work here right now because of protection issues, and the depth of routes and release points in our passing game. You also can't run to the edge when the edge cannot be sealed.

This is also (protection) why we are seeing multiple TE's in the passing sets. It's not because they think they are outsmarting someone or misusing talent.

The run blocking needs an upgrade (some due to talent, some due to continuity of the Line itself) for any style of back to succeed right now in the offense. Has so very little to do with them not "just getting Spiller out in space".... which is a concept I would equate with "just go out hook up with that supermodel" ... Not too realistic.

It's not that simple.

And this response isn't just for you it's also for all 'madden fans' who think their game equates to real football.

The spread can't work here right now because of protection issues, and the depth of routes and release points in our passing game. You also can't run to the edge when the edge cannot be sealed.

This is also (protection) why we are seeing multiple TE's in the passing sets. It's not because they think they are outsmarting someone or misusing talent.

The run blocking needs an upgrade (some due to talent, some due to continuity of the Line itself) for any style of back to succeed right now in the offense. Has so very little to do with them not "just getting Spiller out in space".... which is a concept I would equate with "just go out hook up with that supermodel" ... Not too realistic.

You don't think that the HC from the Eagles would better utilize his talents?

There is no doubt that the poor construction and talent level of our OL has a major effect on limiting the offense. When you have a special talent you should work to enhance the talent not create a system that works against it.

There is no doubt that the poor construction and talent level of our OL has a major effect on limiting the offense. When you have a special talent you should work to enhance the talent not create a system that works against it.

And to add to that, the Eagles have had to shuffle through a lot of different offensive linemen this season due to injuries (as well as a QB change), and yet their offense continues to function at a relatively high level.

I think ON the Eagles - OF COURSE his talents would be better served. They have a mobile, fast break O-line that blocks well for the spread and hopes to get to you with their conditioning level. the Eagles HC on the Bills however would have the same tribulations as we do. And No I don't think you gear your entire plan for a guy like CJ (I am one of his biggest fans) when he has already shown to be a part time back, even as explosive as he is.

Coupling Whitner with Spiller is an offense that you will have to do penance for. :devil: Whitner was a failed draft pick not because he was a safety but because he was over-drafted.

My friend, if you want to lose football games a good way to do so is to draft a situational scat back with a top 10 draft pick, especially if you have QB issues. And those were pre-Pettine and Mario days.

Mr. Wilson praised this selection. He said that the team needed, "excitement."

This team didn't win football games with Spiller. We are still not in the playoffs as we speak, but we are doing just as well without him. And btw, let me readily admit that the Bills need an upgrade at RB. I do however hope that we don't draft one too early and focus more on Guards to fill the void of the ones we stupidly let go.

i usually dont say this, nor agree with hardly anyone here, but i agree with every point you said (except 5) wtf is that song?. I would add sammy is a soft as a baby marshmellow whether hampered by injury or not. he goes down faster than tim brown ever did after a catch. i hope its injury, i would hate to think hes actually that much of a wuss. anyway great post.

You may have a serious hole in your musical education. That's "Uncle John's Band" by the Gratefull Dead. Bill is a serious fan. Most of us were too stoned to remember the lyrics, but that one is definitely a classic.