Ortons accuracy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a few actually especially in recent years. Several times have we seen Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Rivers, Eli, Big Ben et cetera, et cetera, all play bad games and still come away with a win. In the games we've won this season Orton has had to play well, not great, throughout the course of four quarters to just keep us in the game. The other percentile of QB's play well and it's a win. Comfortably.

On the season, Orton has 12 TD's to 3 INTs. His accuracy isn't the problem. He tosses the ball where the receivers can make plays on it. Poor offensive scheming and a porous offensive line have prevented the offense from scoring points.

Actually, the problem is in the 5 other games besides the Jets, he has 6 tds and 4 turnovers.

KO vs. the Jets = Peyton Manning. KO vs. the rest of the league = Kyle Orton

I agree with you here...but do you honestly think EJ would have looked like Peyton Manning last night? I doubt it. The game probably would have been a lot closer.

With this excellent defense to complement his play, Orton is a good enough passer to win you just about any game assuming he is given a clean pocket.

He will struggle against teams with a better pass rush. Next week might be one of those weeks for example. We shall see.

He didn't play well against the Chiefs and Miami.

I guess my main thing with Orton is where exactly are you going with him as your starting QB?

.500, which is where we were at with EJ. That's why I hated the move. It's one thing if Orton was 5-2 or something.

I hope Orton goes 4-1 down the stretch. But after 9 years, the guy is what he is. It's foolish to expect anything different.

I agree with you here...but do you honestly think EJ would have looked like Peyton Manning last night? I doubt it. The game probably would have been a lot closer.

With this excellent defense to complement his play, Orton is a good enough passer to win you just about any game assuming he is given a clean pocket.

He will struggle against teams with a better pass rush. Next week might be one of those weeks for example. We shall see.

EJ's last start against the Jets: 20-28, 71%, 245 yards, 2 tds, 0 ints, 121.9 qb rating (still not a great stat), and we won 37-14. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/ManuEJ00/gamelog/2013/

KO vs. the Jets = Peyton Manning. KO vs. the rest of the league = Kyle Orton

/thread. Congrats OP, let's forget about the last few games this one was more important. Or something.

Let's finish strong, big bucks and no more whammys.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Orton played "fine" yesterday against a horrible secondary. But honestly, I didn't see him hit a single WR in stride the entire game. He missed wide open reads throughout the game (including two plays where Sammy was running virtually uncovered, one down the sideline and one over the middle). It looked like he stayed in the pocket a bit longer yesterday and was willing to take a hit or two, which was a refreshing change from the prior two games. He also looks to be in better shape (footspeed etc.) than he did when he started his run.

IMO the best things about Orton is that he knows where to go with the ball on most plays, and he is very good at pre-snap reads - he checked into and out of the right plays for most of the night. He also is willing to throw it up there and let his WRs make plays. But he's not "the solution."

Edited by Coach Tuesday

I was for the move because EJ looked lost and was down right awful against the Texans and Chargers nor do I ever think EJ will develop into anything more then a marginal QB.

Look at the teams that are either in control for the division or wild card. They all have top QB's.

And as bad as he was, we scored 3 tds in those 2 games. In the Chiefs and Fins games with our season on the line, we scored 1. EJ is in his 2nd year. Orton is in his 9th.

IF he makes the playoffs, great move and I'll gladly post how stupid I was for doubting him. But I really haven't seen enough of an upgrade to justify it. JMO.

Orton played "fine" yesterday against a horrible secondary. But honestly, I didn't see him hit a single WR in stride the entire game. He missed wide open reads throughout the game (including two plays where Sammy was running virtually uncovered, one down the sideline and one over the middle). It looked like he stayed in the pocket a bit longer yesterday and was willing to take a hit or two, which was a refreshing change from the prior two games. He also looks to be in better shape (footspeed etc.) than he did when he started his run.

IMO the best thing about Orton is that he knows where to go with the ball on most plays, and he is very good at pre-snap reads - he checked into and out of the right plays for most of the night. But he's not "the solution."

Agreed and that's the thing EJ is worse at. I guess you can learn by watching but I always thought playing and learning from mistakes was the best way.

EJ's last start against the Jets: 20-28, 71%, 245 yards, 2 tds, 0 ints, 121.9 qb rating (still not a great stat), and we won 37-14. http://www.pro-footb...0/gamelog/2013/

Fair enough.

I just wouldn't feel confident going into any game with EJ at QB. I never have ever felt really confident with him in there going into a game. With Orton, at least there is confidence knowing that if he has a clean pocket you will probably get good quarterback play. Orton is more likely to throw deep for a big play. He is just more fun to watch. Better audibles. More accurate.

Marrone made a great decision when he chose to go with Orton over EJ. Otherwise, my intuition tells me the Bills would already be definitively out of the playoffs.

And as bad as he was, we scored 3 tds in those 2 games. In the Chiefs and Fins games with our season on the line, we scored 1. EJ is in his 2nd year. Orton is in his 9th.

IF he makes the playoffs, great move and I'll gladly post how stupid I was for doubting him. But I really haven't seen enough of an upgrade to justify it. JMO.

Agreed and that's the thing EJ is worse at. I guess you can learn by watching but I always thought playing and learning from mistakes was the best way.

EJ doesn't even look at the defenders pre-snap. It's maddening.

True, we should only count QB stats against good teams. That's what the rest of the league is judged on.

Don't people do that with Spiller's long runs?

And you don't think it is important to put stats in context? That's why QB rating is a flawed stat. Orton owns the Jets. Not a doubt in my mind. But what about the games against Detroit, Vikes, Fins, or Chiefs where were struggled to score 1 or 2 tds?