frustrating usage of sammy watkins

Sammy just is not working hard enough to get open and his catch radius that was discussed so much in the preseason was because the defenses were not trying as hard, and allowing him to make nonchalant efforts on some plays.

Dude tries to one hand some catches when he can attack with 2 and he misses the catch. He just is not putting full effort in and his coach needs to call him out on it.

He has way too many drops.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy just is not working hard enough to get open and his catch radius that was discussed so much in the preseason was because the defenses were not trying as hard, and allowing him to make nonchalant efforts on some plays.

Dude tries to one hand some catches when he can attack with 2 and he misses the catch. He just is not putting full effort in and his coach needs to call him out on it.

D. Thomas and Decker struggled with Orton as well. Maybe the guy who has played on 5 teams is holding back the all world receiver.

:lol::doh:

D. Thomas and Decker struggled with Orton as well. Maybe the guy who has played on 5 teams is holding back the all world receiver.

This list of rookie WR stats would say that it should not matter:

http://www.nfl.com/s...false&Submit=Go

Of the top 10, only Brandin Cooks has what is considered to be a good QB now. Plus Sammy has fatigued, others are coming on strong. Sammy has been disappointing in year 1 for expectations. He has been average, even for all world rookie WR.

1 | 2 next

Receiving Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM 1 Kelvin Benjamin CAR WR 57 824 14.5 68.7 51 8 13 2 37 64.9 1 1 Jarvis Landry MIA WR 57 518 9.1 43.2 25 5 3 0 33 57.9 0 3 Jordan Matthews PHI WR 54 686 12.7 57.2 40 7 12 1 36 66.7 0 4 Brandin Cooks NO WR 53 550 10.4 55.0 50T 3 4 2 25 47.2 0 4 Mike Evans TB WR 53 890 16.8 80.9 56T 8 18 4 35 66.0 0 6 Sammy Watkins BUF WR 51 695 13.6 57.9 84 5 9 2 37 72.5 0 7 Odell Beckham NYG WR 48 699 14.6 87.4 59 5 9 3 35 72.9 0 7 Allen Robinson JAC WR 48 548 11.4 54.8 54 2 5 2 26 54.2 0 9 John Brown ARI WR 39 569 14.6 47.4 75T 5 10 2 24 61.5 0 10 Allen Hurns JAC WR 35 530 15.1 44.2 63T 5 9 4 19 54.3 0

Edited by Security

This list of rookie WR stats would say that it should not matter:

http://www.nfl.com/s...false&Submit=Go

Of the top 10, only Brandin Cooks has what is considered to be a good QB now. Plus Sammy has fatigued, others are coming on strong. Sammy has been disappointing in year 1 for expectations. He has been average, even for all world rookie WR.

1 | 2 next

Receiving Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM 1 Kelvin Benjamin CAR WR 57 824 14.5 68.7 51 8 13 2 37 64.9 1 1 Jarvis Landry MIA WR 57 518 9.1 43.2 25 5 3 0 33 57.9 0 3 Jordan Matthews PHI WR 54 686 12.7 57.2 40 7 12 1 36 66.7 0 4 Brandin Cooks NO WR 53 550 10.4 55.0 50T 3 4 2 25 47.2 0 4 Mike Evans TB WR 53 890 16.8 80.9 56T 8 18 4 35 66.0 0 6 Sammy Watkins BUF WR 51 695 13.6 57.9 84 5 9 2 37 72.5 0 7 Odell Beckham NYG WR 48 699 14.6 87.4 59 5 9 3 35 72.9 0 7 Allen Robinson JAC WR 48 548 11.4 54.8 54 2 5 2 26 54.2 0 9 John Brown ARI WR 39 569 14.6 47.4 75T 5 10 2 24 61.5 0 10 Allen Hurns JAC WR 35 530 15.1 44.2 63T 5 9 4 19 54.3 0

I'd take every qb of the Wrs ahead of Watkins over Orton. Watkins had gotten open against Revis and Haden. He's damn good. Our qb is not.

No they did not you are just making stuff up Brandon Lloyd went to the pro bowl as did Brandon marshall before him . Now Sammie is an all world receiver ? lol

Edited by JC2002

No they did not you are just making stuff up Brandon Lloyd went to the pro bowl as did Brandon marshall before him . Now Sammie is an all world receiver ? lol

You're right. My bad. I completely forgot about the one random Lloyd season. Still, Decker & Thimas combined for like 300 total yards.

And yes, Watkins has all world talent. It's why he was drafted so high.

You're right. My bad. I completely forgot about the one random Lloyd season. Still, Decker & Thimas combined for like 300 total yards.

And yes, Watkins has all world talent. It's why he was drafted so high.

Um ... Watkins is hurt. It's pretty obvious watching the games.

Um... He's also gotten open and has been missed. It's pretty obvious watching the games.

Not that open. I watch the games too, as it so happens. The idea that he's often open is pretty mythical. He wasn't open in the Jets game much at all, and Haden played extremely well the other day. I'm not going to argue with you that Orton missed some passes against Cleveland. He was accurate against the Jets though.

More importantly, Watkins is hurt. He's just not explosive right now. That is inarguably obvious. It's not going to get any better either because he suffered a hip injury relatively early in the Cleveland game. He can play, but he's doing it at 80 percent. Just recall what happened to Moulds in 2003, who went from all-world in the first five games to a 9.5 ypc guy after returning from injury for the final 7 games. Groin injuries are tough on WRs and linger.

Edited by dave mcbride

Um... He's also gotten open and has been missed. It's pretty obvious watching the games.

He has been hurt most of the season, and he's had a bunch of drops. He gets a pass though....which is rare on this board.

Sorry man, but I'm just not seeing it in this kid...yet. For what we paid for him.

EDIT: If his name were Kolb the board would say he's made of glass. He gets a pass for whatever reason. He'll be good one day if he ever gets healthy, but we probably whiffed yet again.

Edited by jaybee

He has been hurt most of the season, and he's had a bunch of drops. He gets a pass though....which is rare on this board.

Sorry man, but I'm just not seeing it in this kid...yet. For what we paid for him.

He was flat out awesome from game 4 (Houston) through game 8 (first Jets game). Then he got hurt. It happens -- it's an occupational hazard of the NFL. The fact that he didn't catch much against Houston doesn't mean that he didn't play well -- the qb was horribly inaccurate and missed him constantly.

He was flat out awesome from game 4 (Houston) through game 8 (first Jets game). Then he got hurt. It happens -- it's an occupational hazard of the NFL. The fact that he didn't catch much against Houston doesn't mean that he didn't play well -- the qb was horribly inaccurate and missed him constantly.

Well I guess that settles it then. ps...he was flat-out awesome with that QB.... that horribly innacurate QB throwing to him. No ? I'm done here.

That's the telltale sign. The folks who are down on Sammy are the ones who haven't watched any of the all-22s. It's a dead give away.

And those all 22s are showing that Sammy, in spite of not being 100% is routinely beating press coverage. He had Hayden reaching for air a couple times on Sunday and our QB couldn't get him the ball. He did the same thing to Revis, too. He's so inconsequential that on that 4th down play to Woods the Browns triple covered him. Thankfully, Orton saw that and found Woods on the opposite side enjoying the single coverage down field.

Watkins gets open enough for a good NFL QB to complete passes to. NOBODY gets wide open all the time in this league against these CBs. If that's what our QBs need in order to complete passes, we are worse than I thought at the position.

GO BILLS!!!

And those all 22s are showing that Sammy, in spite of not being 100% is routinely beating press coverage. He had Hayden reaching for air a couple times on Sunday and our QB couldn't get him the ball. He did the same thing to Revis, too. He's so inconsequential that on that 4th down play to Woods the Browns triple covered him. Thankfully, Orton saw that and found Woods on the opposite side enjoying the single coverage down field.

Watkins gets open enough for a good NFL QB to complete passes to. NOBODY gets wide open all the time in this league against these CBs. If that's what our QBs need in order to complete passes, we are worse than I thought at the position.

GO BILLS!!!

:beer:

in houston he really didnt do crap...except getting ej benched. he one handed and "patted down" a couple decent passes. Dropped a long one whel being marginally covered. Problem is sammy WONT come back for a ball. EVER! He simply paws it out of the air. He also goes down at the slightest hint of contact. He is playing scared. Most all his catches are on open/deep balls caught past the defense. even the nice catch and run in new york was a slant that he snuck under a tackle and the safety totally wiffed. Regardless his houston stats sucked i can say without even looking.

Cute, but reeks of a guy that doesn't watch the game. Sammy was targeted 9 times, not thrown to...massive difference. Targeted means the QB meant to throw it to him...if Sammy is targeted with a pass that lands 9 feet away from him on a back shoulder throw, I'm going to blame the QB, not the WR.

Right now, the QB play is awful, and it's diminishing the impact of our best WR. It's not hard to see at all.

im not sure youre right about targeted/thrown to definition. Either way, how does it matter? Sammy one hands a lot of balls rather than come back for them. he drops contested balls that are thrown to him, and he drops down before any real contact is made. He i think is protecting his ribs but oh well, put mike williams or hogan in until hes ready to go 100%

That's the telltale sign. The folks who are down on Sammy are the ones who haven't watched any of the all-22s. It's a dead give away.

I think the telltale sign are the folks who watch that film and decide that Sammie did everything perfectly every single time or made the right adjustment

The thing is in the NFL its not what you do to get noticed its what you do after every notices you . Everyone is watching Sammie and they know his tendencies now so its all about how he adjusts to the way defenses have adjusted to him .

There are so many things going on with this offense right now I cant even believe that Sammie is a concern because clearly know teams are trying to take him away . The Patriots tried to take away Nelson and Cobb and so Rodgers went to that Evans kid early and often . The Pack has established that trying to take away something against them wont work and they just move on to someone else which is what we are trying to do and we are not nearly as established as they are .

I think the telltale sign are the folks who watch that film and decide that Sammie did everything perfectly every single time or made the right adjustment

The thing is in the NFL its not what you do to get noticed its what you do after every notices you . Everyone is watching Sammie and they know his tendencies now so its all about how he adjusts to the way defenses have adjusted to him .

There are so many things going on with this offense right now I cant even believe that Sammie is a concern because clearly know teams are trying to take him away . The Patriots tried to take away Nelson and Cobb and so Rodgers went to that Evans kid early and often . The Pack has established that trying to take away something against them wont work and they just move on to someone else which is what we are trying to do and we are not nearly as established as they are .

The telltale sign of what?