Ferguson

TPS

agreed.

He resisted arrest. The outcome is highly unfortunate because another life is lost but it was his own fault and anyone who has a half lick of sense should know that the way the justice system works. He'd have been arrested, booked and likely released within a day.

Yup.

I have no idea what this is about. I understand if someone is trying to sell gray market smokes brought in from another state, but I thought this guy was just selling single cigarettes. Is the NYPD really going after people for selling loose smokes on the street?

I'm sure he wasn't high on the hit list, but at the same time, they arrest guys for selling dime bags too if they happen to pass them on the street.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yup.

I'm sure he wasn't high on the hit list, but at the same time, they arrest guys for selling dime bags too if they happen to pass them on the street.

the police did not make this law. They are ordered to serve the law.

And what was this guy going to accomplish with his beligerant tirade and refusal to obey? What was the goal he had?

Coroner ruled Eric Garner's death a homicide. Chokehold that killed him was against NYPD's rules. It's all on video. http://reason.com/bl...-death …

Everyone knows that this should be something where they hand you a citation and move on. Not have a gang of cops fight you to the ground................ Unacceptable

Has anyone actually watched the video? No "chokehold" occurred. The cops arm was around his neck area (and not tightly, might I add) for less than 10 seconds total. Who here has attempted to place a combative 400 pound man in handcuffs? Pretty please usually doesn't work. The man died because he was morbidly obese, resisted the police, and his body couldn't take it. I suspect his complaints of not being able to breathe had more to do with having police on top of him trying to cuff him than the few seconds of the officer's arm around his neck/shoulder area (he kept complaining after the officer's arm was no longer in the area).

Secondly, it is my understanding that the police were going to issue a summons and move on - except that Garner refused to provide his identification. At that point, it goes from a non-arrest / notice to appear situation to an arrest / go to jail situation.

Has the actual autopsy report been released yet?

Edited by Sig1Hunter

I have no idea what this is about. I understand if someone is trying to sell gray market smokes brought in from another state, but I thought this guy was just selling single cigarettes. Is the NYPD really going after people for selling loose smokes on the street?

You're asking this about the same city that outlawed large sodas...

I'm quite sure the team let them know that was the last time that kind of thing should happen. I also believe they're going to try to smooth it over when the heat dials down. After the Leonard Little thing, there's not much tolerance for stuff from the football team.

The Rams also probably don't give a crap because they're about to pull up stakes and move to a different city -- sounds like as soon as this coming year.

Two questions for anyone who knows - were cigarets found on Eric Garner's person and how did they determine he was selling cigarets- did they send an undercover cop to buy? did observe a transaction?

He had a ridiculous number of previous arrests for cigarette trafficking (among other things), was out on bail for a cigarette trafficking charge, had four full and one partial pack on him, and was witnessed selling someone a cigarette.

I'm sure it's all trumped up.

Has anyone actually watched the video? No "chokehold" occurred. The cops arm was around his neck area (and not tightly, might I add) for less than 10 seconds total. Who here has attempted to place a combative 400 pound man in handcuffs? Pretty please usually doesn't work. The man died because he was morbidly obese, resisted the police, and his body couldn't take it. I suspect his complaints of not being able to breathe had more to do with having police on top of him trying to cuff him than the few seconds of the officer's arm around his neck/shoulder area (he kept complaining after the officer's arm was no longer in the area).

Secondly, it is my understanding that the police were going to issue a summons and move on - except that Garner refused to provide his identification. At that point, it goes from a non-arrest / notice to appear situation to an arrest / go to jail situation.

I never watched it and I don't care about it. Generally, if the mass media is reporting on it there's almost nothing resembling the truth in it. Let's get everyone spun up because it gets ratings.

He had a ridiculous number of previous arrests for cigarette trafficking (among other things), was out on bail for a cigarette trafficking charge, had four full and one partial pack on him, and was witnessed selling someone a cigarette.

I'm sure it's all trumped up.

And even if it was....it doesn't give you the right to physically resist arrest.

But let's keep pumping the "he was killed over a cigarette" blather for the moron lemmings.

You're asking this about the same city that outlawed large sodas...

Funny how some reporters never miss a chance to highlight petty pot arrests, but nary a peep about an arrest that is directly related to Bloomberg' $5 pack cigarette tax.

Ooh. I'm all tingly with anticipation.

Of course you are. I always have that effect on cunts.

You keep chasing those teeny tiny molehills and pretending it's making a difference.

The SLPOA did something stupid. It's not even a blip on the radar of what makes governments at all levels overbearing and your points in this thread are on that level.

Is that what you think you're doing here on the internet? Chasing down mountains?

!@#$ing clownshoes.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Funny how some reporters never miss a chance to highlight petty pot arrests, but nary a peep about an arrest that is directly related to Bloomberg' $5 pack cigarette tax.

Overzealous cops are just one of the unintended consequences of decades of liberal policies. It's almost as if politicians aren't going to be happy until everyone has spent a little time in the clink. "Hope and Change", right?

Of course you are. I always have that effect on cunts.

Good one. Who knew that word would get through the filters? Though somehow I doubt you're much of a ladies man unless the woman's drink of choice is a Roofie Martini.

Is that what you think you're doing here on the internet? Chasing down mountains?

No. You see, I'm intelligent enough to realize that I'm not changing much of anything in this world. I'm here because sometimes I get bored and have a little time to waste. Thanks for being dumb enough to consistently declare yourself the victor and believing what you're doing is somehow "difference making". You're another one of the parodies that makes the internet a moderately entertaining medium.

The Police asking for an apology is proof the police are completely out of touch with reality. People, even athletes, have the right to protest anything they want.

The Police should have just ignored this. However these guys got a lot of nerve, they play in a league filled with athletes who are often involved in violent confrontations off the field and these guys are quick to jump up and show support for those fellow athletes. They should work a little harder at cleaning up their own act. This was nothing more than a bunch of grandstanding.

Remember that a grand jury simply determines whether or not a crime was committed and, if so, is the person charged possibly involved. This case in NYC appears to me to warrant a grand jury level investigation of the matter based on the coroner's finding of homicide as cause of death.

Edited by Keukasmallies

Remember that a grand jury simply determines whether or not a crime was committed and, if so, is the person charged possibly involved. This case in NYC appears to me to warrant a grand jury level investigation of the matter based on the coroner's finding of homicide as cause of death.

I agree.

Bloomberg' $5 pack cigarette tax.

Holy schitt. I just looked online, and the average pack of smokes in NYC is $14. That's just unbelievable. I couldn't understand why the NYPD was wasting time on such a stupid crime, but now I kinda get it.

Kinda. But not really.

You see. This is what happens when conservatives take over your city.

Edited by LABillzFan