AW comments about play calling on 4th down

YoloinOhio

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole idea that players should keep their mouths shut is stupid imo. If the players have a problem with the way the coach is calling plays, just like EVERYONE else in the media and fanbase does, they should say something about it. I'm sure they're a lot more frustrated than we as fans are that they probably won't make the playoffs this year. Saying what he did is a lot better than saying what he's probably really thinking; "Get rid of this bum because he's holding the team back and we should be in the playoffs."

“I encourage Coach to be aggressive and just believe in the defense,” Williams said. “I tell myself this and I joke about it, but sometimes I really mean it. I feel like if we can’t make a fourth-and-1, we shouldn’t be able to win that game. Fourth-and-1 is literally just taking one step.”

But it’s a step Marrone isn’t often willing to take. Maybe it’s not always fourth-and-1, but there have been numerous examples of him playing it safe in circumstances that cry out for a bold move. Punting on fourth-and-6 from Miami’s 47, down by 10 points with 9:55 left in the game, for one."

Marrone's not willing to go for it on Fourth and One, just like that time he didn't go for it on Fourth and Six.

Please.

This whole idea that players should keep their mouths shut is stupid imo. If the players have a problem with the way the coach is calling plays, just like EVERYONE else in the media and fanbase does, they should say something about it. I'm sure they're a lot more frustrated than we as fans are that they probably won't make the playoffs this year. Saying what he did is a lot better than saying what he's probably really thinking; "Get rid of this bum because he's holding the team back and we should be in the playoffs."

its a fine line between constructive debate and fracturing a locker room. i wont judge which side this is on, but it could probably be an indicator of deeper running issues.

its a fine line between constructive debate and fracturing a locker room. i wont judge which side this is on, but it could probably be an indicator of deeper running issues.

It's one thing when a player is part of the problem and publicly trying to blame others, or when the criticism is unwarranted, but Aaron simply said what everyone else has been thinking all along. I can't fault the guy.

I agree with AW, but at the same time wouldn't he expect his defense to be able to stop an opposing offense on 4th and 1? It may be "just a step", but it's a step the defense is expected to stop just as much as the offense may be expected to convert. Kind of a weak argument.

I agree with AW, but at the same time wouldn't he expect his defense to be able to stop an opposing offense on 4th and 1? It may be "just a step", but it's a step the defense is expected to stop just as much as the offense may be expected to convert. Kind of a weak argument.

Just a step is not the primary point. It's that Marrone coaches as if he's afraid and shows no confidence in either his offensive or defensive units. I believe it carries over to the players.

Why ? Should he enjoy losing with a donkey piloting the ship ?

Nope, but only morons criticise their teammates or coaches in public. If he wants to tell that to Marrone behind closed doors, I'm all for it. Not to the Buffalo News. It's bush league.

Good. Marrone reminds me too much of jaurons offensive philosophy. Timid and scared to make a play. I'm over him. If we lose this week, good riddance

I don't agree with his 4th down calls either. But nothing like firing a coach after his team couldn't even practice, he had to spend the week at the facility and couldn't leave, and he spent the rest of his time digging people's cars out of snow banks.

Exaaaactly, not to mention if its so easy why don't teams go for it more often? It's just a step dudes!

Also, didn't that NYT article say every coach is conservative??

My gripe with sully is specifically when he manufactures controversy if there is nothing sizzling to be had, particularly when blatantly disregarding contradiction of prior positions.

However, this time of year he's usually right on because the latest season's version of the bills has by now presented numerous flaws, issues and incompetence for all the world to see. In late November it's shooting fish in a barrel.

That said the coach is the team's collective ego. If coach shows no confidence in his players to take risks, they then lack the confidence which should give them the edge needed. It's the edge that typically divides the winners and the losers.

Say what you want about belli- he strikes me as an arrogant confident b-stard. And the teams personality matches. And arrogant confident teams win.

Generally speaking, coaches don't have a problem with players publicly stating they would like the opportunity to make more plays. That's pretty much all that AW did. Virtually every 4th down decision that a coach makes - ALL the players ALWAYS want to go for it.

The specific situation that JS listed is one that I have a difficult time agreeing with. It was 4th and 6 from about midfield with about 9 minutes left in the game. Especially when you factor in who plays QB and who plays on defense for the Bills, I'd punt every single time given that scenario. The "bubble" for Marrone in that scenario is probably 3-4 yards. Anything longer is too low a % to justify going for it.