Global warming err Climate change HOAX

25 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I wouldn't expect you to understand why single use plastics are a problem. 

Then explain it to me.

Why ban straws? Why not ban ALL single use plastics; spoons, forks, whatever that thing is that KFC gives you.

What is wrong specifically with plastic straws that it required a ban?

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

About 140 years of hard data.

Prior to that you'd have to dive much deeper into physical accounts of how crops grew, etc to measure what the climate was doing in certain parts of the world that kept records. These type of charting records go back about 1,000 years.

Yeah, and those historical records indicate that it was warmer 1,000 years ago than it is now. There was no mass extinction of humanity.

Can you irrigate a farm with water from the ocean?

Yes, actually.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/israel-proves-the-desalination-era-is-here/

Edited by Koko78

About 140 years of hard data.

Prior to that you'd have to dive much deeper into physical accounts of how crops grew, etc to measure what the climate was doing in certain parts of the world that kept records. These type of charting records go back about 1,000 years. 

It was a rhetorical question.

God, I love it when people jump to the end of a 200+ page thread and start spouting off as though nothing's ever been discussed before.  :lol:

I wouldn't expect you to understand why single use plastics are a problem. 

So the entire cup and lid are made out of plastic -- and are single use. Yet the solution pushed is not to change the cups and lid (more plastic waste than straws) and focus instead on the smallest amount of plastic in the equation -- and then package the new "eco friendly" paper straws in ... wait for it... more plastic. 

It is precisely "solutions" like this, pushed by governments and those panicked by the fear mongering, which makes the whole thing laughable. Replacing plastic straws with paper straws is not a solution -- it's moving money around at one level and making life needlessly more ridiculous for the average folk who bear the brunt of these policies to begin with. 

More importantly though, finding ways to use less energy and water and reducing your carbon footprint has next to nothing to do with their rights. 

Mandating that people must do that, despite the higher costs and time investments required to do so properly, has everything to do with rights

That's what you're failing to see. The slippery slope of the whole thing because you're so focused on the concocted "crisis" which... isn't really a crisis in the way they want you to think.

• Like (+1) 4

... If it happens and the world gets another 2-3 degrees Celsius warmer, our grand kids are all going to die in a nuclear war as countries go to war over water and food resources. 

no need to go to war over lack of water, there really isn't a scarcity though that is probably what the leftist's would like you to think.

this article is two years old now.

Israel Proves the Desalination Era Is Here

necessity is and always has been the mother of invention.

Edited by Foxx

lets not forget that we have a population of 320 mm in a world of 7.5 bn. roughly 1/23 of the world's populace. granted, our footprint is pretty big but reducing our carbon footprint would only be a drop in the bucket without the rest of the world doing the same. myself, i believe in green energy but that is me, i am not forcing it upon anyone, it is a choice i have made 

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 3

This is the kind of nonsense that every thinking man or woman rejects*

https://pjmedia.com/vodkapundit/this-week-in-cali-madness-saving-the-planet-from-natural-gas/

Are you tired of paying too little for clean-burning energy that reduces carbon emissions? Then has Berkeley got a deal for you!

On Tuesday, the City Council approved a new ordinance forbidding any new low-rise residences from using natural gas: It's all-electric or nothin', baby. Councilwoman Kate Harrison, who sponsored the measure, told the Chronicle that "It’s an enormous issue" and "When we think about pollution and climate-change issues, we tend to think about factories and cars, but all buildings are producing greenhouse gas."

And more than a few local politicians, too.

Eventually, new commercial buildings will feel the (electric) heat, as the ordinance will eventually ban natural gas from almost all new construction.

The best part? The new ordinance comes complete with a $273,341 staff position in the Building and Safety Division responsible for enforcing the ban. "Nope, I didn't see any gas lines going into those houses. That will be $273,341, please." The position is only supposed to last for two years, but given the nature of government -- especially in California -- you can bet it's going to turn into a lifetime appointment for the offspring or cousin of someone important.

Meanwhile: PG&E Braces for Power Cuts.

* Thanks to B-Man for posting this in the California thread.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

So the entire cup and lid are made out of plastic -- and are single use. Yet the solution pushed is not to change the cups and lid (more plastic waste than straws) and focus instead on the smallest amount of plastic in the equation -- and then package the new "eco friendly" paper straws in ... wait for it... more plastic. 

It is precisely "solutions" like this, pushed by governments and those panicked by the fear mongering, which makes the whole thing laughable. Replacing plastic straws with paper straws is not a solution -- it's moving money around at one level and making life needlessly more ridiculous for the average folk who bear the brunt of these policies to begin with. 

Mandating that people must do that, despite the higher costs and time investments required to do so properly, has everything to do with rights

That's what you're failing to see. The slippery slope of the whole thing because you're so focused on the concocted "crisis" which... isn't really a crisis in the way they want you to think.

now @DC Tom has me scared to jump in here..as i certainly have not been in this thread LOL!

Hey hey, we have found common ground! I believe in global warming, but the "solutions" and just overall fear mongering and loss of common sense has the exact opposite effect of what the zealots want..and that's a shame too!

In reality, i am not too worried about carbon emissions, i am 100% convinced we will be almost exclusively solar powered in the next 10-15 years..in all areas.

BTW, you mentioned advances and this is a pretty good illustration of that. Yall are porlly aware of this..i just learned about a few months ago.Always remember the internal combustion engine and the transportation it enabled was seen as the "green" invention to save humanity from  the greatest environmental crisis of the day

https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Great-Horse-Manure-Crisis-of-1894/

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/19/2019 at 3:38 PM, Koko78 said:

Yeah, and those historical records indicate that it was warmer 1,000 years ago than it is now. There was no mass extinction of humanity.

Yes, actually.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/israel-proves-the-desalination-era-is-here/

https://www.tauntongazette.com/news/20180409/dighton-desalination-facility-offers-brockton-cost-cut

The city of Brockton, MA has a desalination plant in the nearby town of Taunton.

They committed to it when the area had a significant drought in the early 2000s. 

They're paying through the nose fort's capacity, but it's hardly been used since it became operational. 

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Summer Heat Wave? It's Global Warming... Or Is It?

by Roger L. Simon

Original Article

Hmmmmn. It's almost as if it always got hot in DC in the summers.

https://uschs.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/august-recess-a-history/

Although it has been a tradition since the summer of 1791, August recess actually became a statutory requirement since the Legislative Reorganization Act of 1970, making it the only statutory recess on the House and Senate calendars. The tradition first began mainly due to the oppressive heat and humidity that August would bring, not only to DC, which is where Congress has met since 1800, but also in both Philadelphia and New York City, where Congress met prior to moving into their permanent home here. Since their move to the Capitol in 1800, things didn’t improve much as neither chamber was built in a manner that allowed for air to move around enough to provide any relief from the hot summer weather (not to mention the smells that would take over due to the trash and sewage out in the streets of the capital). Once the new chambers were built in the 1850s during the Capitol extension, there was hope amongst members of the House and Senate that the “modern ventilation systems” that were supposedly a part of both new chambers would bring some measure of relief, but it was soon very clear that they were ineffective.

The Fake Science of Global Warming

by John Hinderaker

Original Article

Francis Menton sticks it to the global warming lobby, good and hard:

If you follow closely the subject of hypothesized human-caused global warming, you probably regularly experience, as I do, a strong sense of cognitive dissonance. On the one hand, you read dozens of pieces from seemingly authoritative media sources, as well as from important political officeholders, declaring that the causal relationship between human CO2 emissions and rapidly rising global temperatures is definitive….

On the other hand, you studied the scientific method back in high school, and you can’t help asking yourself the basic questions that that method entails:

* What is the falsifiable hypothesis that is claimed to have been empirically validated? You can’t find it!

* What was the null hypothesis, and what about the data caused the null hypothesis to be rejected? You can’t find that either!

* Where can you get access to the methodology (computer code) and the full data set that was used in the hypothesis validation process; and are those sufficient to fully replicate the results? You can’t find these things either!

* You learn that there have been major after-the-fact adjustments to the principal data sets that are used to claim rapidly warming global temperatures and to justify press releases claiming that a given year or month was the “hottest ever.” You look to see if you can find details supporting the data alterations, and you learn that such details are not available, as if they are some kind of top secret from the Soviet Union.

This is not science, obviously. There is much more at the link, 

On 7/23/2019 at 8:12 AM, B-Man said:

* Where can you get access to the methodology (computer code) and the full data set that was used in the hypothesis validation process; and are those sufficient to fully replicate the results? You can’t find these things either!

* You learn that there have been major after-the-fact adjustments to the principal data sets that are used to claim rapidly warming global temperatures and to justify press releases claiming that a given year or month was the “hottest ever.” You look to see if you can find details supporting the data alterations, and you learn that such details are not available, as if they are some kind of top secret from the Soviet Union.

Both of those are freely available, from NASA and NOAA.  I have them.

16 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Today was the highest temperature ever recorded in Germany, Belgium, The Netherlands, and Paris, France.

It's very concerning some people view climate change as a "hoax". 

We've been told we're all going to die in 12 years.

We've been told there is nothing we can do about it.

Laughing is all we can do.

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

We've been told we're all going to die in 12 years.

We've been told there is nothing we can do about it.

Laughing is all we can do.

It's not 12 years or we die. I think it was 12 years to get to net zero emissions or else we reach a point where it may be impossible to reverse a changing climate, because too much CO2 will have accumulated in the atmosphere, and the Earth will just keep warming on its own.