Whaley without Sammy

4merper4mer

A lot of people are all over Whaley because we don't have a #1 this year. I'm wondering how nice they'd all be if we have Eric Ebron on the Bills and still had our #1.

Eric Ebron plus unknown roughly #10 pic > Sammy?

I don't think so, others might think so, but there is no way to be sure.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what you are trying to ask is are the Bills better off with Sammy Watkins or having a player like Enbron and their 1st round pick in 2015.

Hindsight is 20-20 but I really like Watkins. He's capable of breaking DB's ankles with the routes he runs. Great player even if it cost us a number #1 next year.

I think if we didn't grab Sammy....the Bucs end up with him one way or another and we get Mike Evans. Given the way Evans has looked...Evans + #10ish is better than Sammy (and that isn't a knock on Sammy btw).

I still stand by the Sammy trade though. We all knew what we gave up...there was always going to be one or more "what-if-instead-of-Sammy scenarios" that would be good looking back. The point is, we secured Sammy. You can't complain. We'll have him for a while. It was a good thing.

A lot of people are all over Whaley because we don't have a #1 this year. I'm wondering how nice they'd all be if we have Eric Ebron on the Bills and still had our #1.

Eric Ebron plus unknown roughly #10 pic > Sammy?

I don't think so, others might think so, but there is no way to be sure.

Drafting WR's top 10 doesn't make much sense in today's NFL. It is fools gold. I believe there isn't a single one drafted in the top 10 that currently has won a superbowl. Most teams that draft top 10 WR's don't even make the playoffs. It's an over glorified position that relies heavily on finding the correct QB and finding WR's in the late 1st to mid rounds.

The Bills went all in on a WR and currently have the worst offense in the NFL and won't make the playoffs for the 15th year in a row. This trade currently isn't working out which Whaley banked on heavily.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Drafting WR's top 10 doesn't make much sense in today's NFL. I believe there isn't a single one drafted in the top 10 that currently has won a superbowl. Most teams that draft top 10 WR's don't even make the playoffs. It's an over glorified position that relies heavily on finding the correct QB and finding WR's in the late 1st to mid rounds.

The Bills went all in on a WR and currently have the worst offense in the NFL. This trade currently isn't working out which Whaley banked on heavily.

Matt Millen disagrees with you.

Whaley is the best shot the Bills have had in 15 years to make the playoffs. It's too bad Marrone is stuck on having Hacket as his OC, that may be what kills Whaley in the end. He'll end up somewhere like Oakland and turn them around in 2 years. He's made some great personel decisions it's too bad Marrone sucks at his job.

Marrone is Whaleys worst decision to date.

Edited by Hazed and Amuzed

Drafting WR's top 10 doesn't make much sense in today's NFL. It is fools gold. I believe there isn't a single one drafted in the top 10 that currently has won a superbowl. Most teams that draft top 10 WR's don't even make the playoffs. It's an over glorified position that relies heavily on finding the correct QB and finding WR's in the late 1st to mid rounds.

The Bills went all in on a WR and currently have the worst offense in the NFL and we won't make the playoffs for the 15th year in a row. This trade currently isn't working out which Whaley banked on heavily.

This is a good point. If we have a good QB then having a guy like Sammy helps a lot. Without a decent one, its pointless.

Hopefully they figure it out soon.

The Bills went all in on a WR and currently have the worst offense in the NFL and we won't make the playoffs for the 15th year in a row. This trade currently isn't working out which Whaley banked on heavily.

Since '07

Sammy Watkins

Mike Evans

Tavon Austin

Justin Blackmon

AJ Green

Julio Jones

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Michael Crabtree

Calvin Johnson

Ted Ginn

I would say the majority of those guys are big time. I think it can be argued that, at this point, those players I underlined are the signature players for their team. That's half.

Since '07

Sammy Watkins

Mike Evans

Tavon Austin

Justin Blackmon

AJ Green

Julio Jones

Darrius Heyward-Bey

Michael Crabtree

Calvin Johnson

Ted Ginn

I would say the majority of those guys are big time. I think it can be argued that, at this point, those players I underlined are the signature players for their team. That's half.

How many times have those teams made the playoffs with those WR's, how many superbowl appearances and how many superbowl wins?

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Look, The additional #1 is no big deal should the Bills go heavy in free agency.

Forget about this, ITS OVER.

this is my opinion as well. The consensus is this is a weak draft outside of a few positions like RB and DT. A premier FA TE or G, for example, would likely have more immediate impact than a rookie. QB is obviously one position that is not easily signed in FA. But they could have up to 8 draft picks plus Orton and EJ. They can take a QB with their 2nd rd pick if they like one. They would not have drafted high enough to get one of the "top notch" QBs in this draft, nor are the next level down QBs definitely 1st rd grades. Add to that there are not that many teams likely to take a QB in the 1st this year.

I am not following all the rookie wr stats each week and comparing them to Sammy to somehow validate or invalidate the pick/trade because 10 games into their careers is way too early. He is here for at least 5 yrs.

Edited by YoloinOhio

How many times have those teams made the playoffs with those WR's, how many superbowl appearances and how many wins?

That is a ridiculous question to ask. This exact same argument could be made to say that drafting in the top generally is terrible thing to do. You know why? Because the teams who have consistent success never do. Those are great football players. Period.

Edited by MoreOffense

That is a ridiculous question to ask. This exact same argument could be made to say that drafting in the top generally is terrible thing to do. You know why? Because the teams who have consistent success never do. Those are great football players. Period.

Great individual players, sure but it's a team sport and their individual contribution at that position means very little in the grand scheme of things.

I think if we didn't grab Sammy....the Bucs end up with him one way or another and we get Mike Evans. Given the way Evans has looked...Evans + #10ish is better than Sammy (and that isn't a knock on Sammy btw).

I still stand by the Sammy trade though. We all knew what we gave up...there was always going to be one or more "what-if-instead-of-Sammy scenarios" that would be good looking back. The point is, we secured Sammy. You can't complain. We'll have him for a while. It was a good thing.

I think the Browns would have taken Sammy, considering the situation with Gordon. No way to know now though.

The Bills went all in on a WR and currently have the worst offense in the NFL and won't make the playoffs for the 15th year in a row. This trade currently isn't working out which Whaley banked on heavily.

What position would you draft in the top ten that has won a Superbowl?

Whaley is the best shot the Bills have had in 15 years to make the playoffs. It's too bad Marrone is stuck on having Hacket as his OC, that may be what kills Whaley in the end. He'll end up somewhere like Oakland and turn them around in 2 years. He's made some great personel decisions it's too bad Marrone sucks at his job.

Marrone is Whaleys worst decision to date.

Marrone wasn't Whaley's decision. It was Russ Brandon's and Buddy Nix's.