Buffalo Rex

Buffalo Rex  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming Res Ryan is fired at the end of the season, should the Bills hire him as Head Coach?

• Absolutely
    • Only if we finish below 8-8
    • Nope

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Pegula already say that Marrone and company will be back next year?

I'm not really sure. But, if he did, how much would that be worth? It's early in the season.

A lot if he really said it. My impression is that he means what he says and says what he means.

I'm just not sure he would make such a statement before bringing in his consultants.

A lot if he really said it. My impression is that he means what he says and says what he means.

I'm just not sure he would make such a statement before bringing in his consultants.

My impression of him is that he is a businessman, and while I am certainly glad he is the new owner, I don't hold to this vaunted opinion of him. He would be crazy to tell his HC, going into week 8, that he was on the bubble. But, even if he did say it, and even if he meant it, his opinion could surely change as quick as TBD's collective, fickle opinion should we go 6-10, yet again.

Rex is a cartoon. If you want your team to be in the headlines then hire him. If you want to win games then look elsewhere. I think he would be a good defensive coordinator but I'm happy with Schwartz for as long as we can keep him

9-7

11-5

8-8

6-10

8-8

1-6

43 and 44 overall. Rex gets a lot out of his players, but his unwillingness to do anything about the offense is why he will be an 8-8 coach at best. This year he is tanking. I wouldn't hire him right now

That's maybe not such a bad record when you consider that the best he has had under center might be the current Michael Vick.

Realistic, current NFL HC/OC/DC that MAY be available after 2014 for the Bills ((O) indicates offensive minded and (D) indicates defensive minded):

Mike Smith (D)

Gary Kubiak (O)

Pat Shurmur (O)

John Pagano (D)

Dennis Thurman (D) (Rex disciple)

Todd Bowles (D)

I believe previous NFL HC experience will be important to the new ownership so people like Jim Haslett and maybe Perry Fewell (Interim HC exp.) could enter the discussion - the Bills connection is coincidental and could help or hurt. I think Haslett's window has closed but would be a sentimental choice in BUF. I would like to see Fewell get a shot in NY after Coughlin retires.

An offensive minded coach would likely be more interested in keeping Schwartz to run the defense and make him Asst. Head Coach/Defense. If that's the case I like Shurmur #1 and Kubiak #2 (Wade Phillips as DC in this scenario?).

A defensive minded HC (not named Schwartz) hire would likely indicate a complete staff turnover. In that case I really like John Pagano (Brother to Chuck and protege of Greg Manusky). Maybe he could lure Frank Reich as Asst. Head Coach Offense. Todd Bowles would be another sexy choice. In either of these cases I would hope the ownership would require a VERY strong OC with NFL HC experience (which would rule out Reich).

I really hope the new ownership does not get pressured/tempted to over pay for a "name". I am encouraged on the stated strategy of bringing in a trusted, knowledgeable football resource to aid the evaluation and transition.

There is far, far too much we don't know to make any kind of realistic prediction. As pure conjecture, sure, it's fun to play around with possible scenarios.

But...

1] We don't know whether this team finishes below .500, is on the cusp of the playoffs or makes the playoffs, which obviously affects the coach next year the most of any factor.

2] We don't know when, who and how long this consultant will take to evaluate the team for Pegula.

3] We don't know what Pegula really thinks of Brandon, Whaley and Marrone as of now, but all indications say he likes Brandon and Whaley at least already.

4] We don't know what Brandon and Whaley really thinks about Marrone after working with him for two years, which may be completely different than when they hired him. Whaley might be really close with Marrone and think of this as a partnership, he might hate Marrone's guts and think he's blowing this good roster.

No thanks. Rex is a terrible game manager and has no idea what to do with an offense and sticks with bad QBs for far too long. How is this an improvement over what we have?

Non-bad QBs don't grow on trees. Sometimes a coach doesn't have a lot of alternatives, and has to try to make the best of it, with what he has.