Why I think Marrone should be fired...

C.Biscuit97

It bothers me when people throw rankings without any context. Are the Bills the very worst team in the NFL inside the RedZone? Actually no they aren't, that distinction belongs to San Francisco(40% scoring percentage), which is humorous because people want Harbaugh to come here. The Bills are 30th at 43%.

So can we just attach that number to Marrone/Hackett and just say it's their fault? I don't think you can. The players still need to execute. The number includes 4 games of EJ Manuel who just refused throw the ball to his WR or TE's. With EJ in the first 4 games the Bills had a 37% scoring percentage. With Orton at QB the Bills have had a 47% scoring percentage in the RedZone which includes 2 games were they were at 0%. That 47% while not great would move them up 7 places. But look at the KC game for example, Bryce Brown fumbled the ball and Kyle Orton missed 2 wide open receivers. Is that Marrone/Hacketts fault? To me that seems more like player execution, Marrone/Hackett can't throw the ball and they can't not fumble the ball either. Let's say for arguments sake that Kyle Orton acutally hits the wide open receivers and Brown doesn't fumble the ball, that would raise the scoring percentage since Kyle has been the starting QB to 58%, that's good enough for top 10 in the league.

This isn't a Marrone does anything wrong post because I believe there are things that he does wrong. I just don't get why all the offensive troubles have to be thrown at his feet. He's had a journeyman QB and a rookie QB. The best teams in the league in the RedZone are lead by franchise and elite QB's, which I tend to think has a bit more to do with it then the coaching staff.

Just curious where you got those stats from? And aren't they completely inflated by 2 games against the 2-9 Jets, where Orton is Peyton Mannjng?

Hiw about the other non Jets games for Orton and the team in the red zone? I won't dispute Orton owns the Jets (EJ did too last year) but I'm worried about the rest of the teams too.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious where you got those stats from? And aren't they completely inflated by 2 games against the 2-9 Jets, where Orton is Peyton Mannjng?

Hiw about the other non Jets games for Orton and the team in the red zone? I won't dispute Orton owns the Jets (EJ did too last year) but I'm worried about the rest of the teams too.

This just in, the Bills are the only team who plays bad teams.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

I'm not really sure why you think they are completely inflated? Like I said the Dolphins/Chiefs games the Bills didn't score once in the Redzone, surely that negates the games against the Jets.

But in case you were wondering they were 3/3 this past week against the Jete in the RedZone. In the first meeting the Bills were 4/6. The Bills were also 3/3 in the RedZone against the Pats*. Does that inflate it? They were 0/2 against the Dolphins and 0/4 against the Chiefs, but like I said in my previous post if Orton hits the 2 wide open receivers in the Chiefs game and Bryce Brown doesn't fumble they are at least 3/4.

The schedulers should all be fired for this.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/red-zone-scoring-pct

I'm not really sure why you think they are completely inflated? Like I said the Dolphins/Chiefs games the Bills didn't score once in the Redzone, surely that negates the games against the Jets.

But in case you were wondering they were 3/3 this past week against the Jete in the RedZone. In the first meeting the Bills were 4/6. The Bills were also 3/3 in the RedZone against the Pats*. Does that inflate it? They were 0/2 against the Dolphins and 0/4 against the Chiefs, but like I said in my previous post if Orton hits the 2 wide open receivers in the Chiefs game and Bryce Brown doesn't fumble they are at least 3/4.

If we simply eliminate all of the bad stats then we will look great. Plus blame Bryce Brown. I wonder if they will make a movie about Marrone like they did for Stephen Hawking since Marrone is a genius obviously.

But why target Marrone for the ineptitude of the offense ? As for players in the doghouse, Robert Woods was in his doghouse in the summer but Woods performance in games has indicated that he is a bit mercurial. He has the talent but does appear to dog it sometimes. Which vindicates Marrone. I grant you that the OL staffing has been less than perfect but then again no second year coach can be expected to be perfect.

If you stil insist on blaming Marrone for the O, then you should give him credit for the top-5 D and the ST.

He has stayed away from the D which is a good move. The ST has done much better this year and I am genuinely surprised by that given the ST coach's lifetime of failures.

On O Marrone has made a mess of things plain and simple. One good game against the Jets and people forget. There is a lot of talent on offense and no production. Marrone hired a kid who should probably have a lawn mowing business or a paper route to run an NFL offense and he has limited that kid further by getting into spats with half of the roster. If we had average production on offense we'd be contending for the division title. With Marrone we have a shot at 8-8.

Edited by 4merper4mer

If we simply eliminate all of the bad stats then we will look great. Plus blame Bryce Brown. I wonder if they will make a movie about Marrone like they did for Stephen Hawking since Marrone is a genius obviously.

He has stayed away from the D which is a good move. The ST has done much better this year and I am genuinely surprised by that given the ST coach's lifetime of failures.

On O Marrone has made a mess of things plain and simple. One good game against the Jets and people forget. There is a lot of talent on offense and no production. Marrone hired a kid who should probably have a lawn mowing business or a paper route to run an NFL offense and he has limited that kid further by getting into spats with half of the roster. If we had average production on offense we'd be contending for the division title. With Marrone we have a shot at 8-8.

You're not certain of any of these things.

You have no idea what the team would do under a different coach. You are making projections that have no basis in fact. The core of the D was here under Edwards/Wanny they did not produce this kind of effort. 8-8 while is not what anyone wants would be the first non losing season in what ...9 years?

You have no idea what the team would do under a different coach. You are making projections that have no basis in fact. The core of the D was here under Edwards/Wanny they did not produce this kind of effort. 8-8 while is not what anyone wants would be the first non losing season in what ...9 years?

You're probably right. Will you be going to Canton for Marrone's induction?

Come on dude. Seriously. I have eyes. I want the team to win with or without Marrone. He said we'd be cutting edge on offense. Do you think we are?

You're probably right. Will you be going to Canton for Marrone's induction?

Come on dude. Seriously. I have eyes. I want the team to win with or without Marrone. He said we'd be cutting edge on offense. Do you think we are?

I was not commenting on what he said he would do. I was commenting on what you stated. There are execution issues that are occurring on this team of which you can not deny. That is something that has to be account for when measuring the Coaches.

I am of no illusions of Marrone's faults. I have been vocal about them in this thread and others. However, making statements as if you know how the team would execute and respond with a different coach is wishful thinking. If people could have had Shanny instead of Gailey they would have jumped at the chance, that doesn't mean there would have been a different outcome to those 3 seasons.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

Ah yea, what a great take again. I don't see why you can't blame Bryce Brown for the fumble, who the hell else would you blame? Actually don't answer because I know what your response is.

I'm not even sure why I'm responding to you, you have had the same tired opinion since Marrone started.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Ah yea, what a great take again. I don't see why you can't blame Bryce Brown for the fumble, who the hell else would you blame? Actually don't answer because I know what your response is.

I'm not even sure why I'm responding to you, you have had the same tired opinion since Marrone started.

Bryce Brown fumbled and it was his fault, with part of it being a great/lucky strike by the defender. Chandler isn't blameless either. None of that play was Marrone's fault.

With that said, the play happened. It is a negative stat in the red zone. You can't reverse it into a positive because shoulda woulda coulda. If you do that, fine, but then you would have to do the same thing for all the other teams and reverse their bad plays too. If you don't you are comparing apples and oranges.

The naked eye makes it obvious that the Bills offensive staff, which includes Marrone, is clueless and not just in the red zone. Does that mean they haven't called a few good plays here and there? Of course not. It is the overall body of work that has the Bills 6-5 instead of 8-3. The entire game against the Patriots the offense basically gave up. They had one successful drive and it looked like Orton might have been temporarily in charge then. I know he pushed the punt team off the field.

I don't know if Marrone is your uncle or something but I'm not judging him as a person. It is simply his coaching is not NFL caliber. He's bad. I hope he wins but cannot envision it. It is like buying a lottery ticket. I'm sure he is a nice guy in real life and wish him no ill will at all.

Bryce Brown fumbled and it was his fault, with part of it being a great/lucky strike by the defender. Chandler isn't blameless either. None of that play was Marrone's fault.

With that said, the play happened. It is a negative stat in the red zone. You can't reverse it into a positive because shoulda woulda coulda. If you do that, fine, but then you would have to do the same thing for all the other teams and reverse their bad plays too. If you don't you are comparing apples and oranges.

The naked eye makes it obvious that the Bills offensive staff, which includes Marrone, is clueless and not just in the red zone. Does that mean they haven't called a few good plays here and there? Of course not. It is the overall body of work that has the Bills 6-5 instead of 8-3. The entire game against the Patriots the offense basically gave up. They had one successful drive and it looked like Orton might have been temporarily in charge then. I know he pushed the punt team off the field.

I don't know if Marrone is your uncle or something but I'm not judging him as a person. It is simply his coaching is not NFL caliber. He's bad. I hope he wins but cannot envision it. It is like buying a lottery ticket. I'm sure he is a nice guy in real life and wish him no ill will at all.

And if you read what I originally wrote I am not saying Marrone is faultless but to pin the RedZone problems completely on him IMO isn't right. He switched from EJ to Orton which helped a lot of the RedZone problems, but gets no credit for that. Then he gets tied to the problem with the RedZone when some of them are clearly player execution and decision making. Marrone and Hackett can't do anything about those 2 things that's why I brought up the KC game. Those were clearly player problems. Notice how I didn't bring up the Miami game or any other game? The truth is if the players executed properly, because the play calls were correct, the RedZone scoring percentage would be higher.

My issue with Marrone is his game management and "feel" for the game. I don't think he had it. And no he's not my uncle.

I'd really like to know what defenders of Marrone like about him. Some tangible examples. None of this "they play hard for him" crap. Not even sure how true it is, but in any case, that's such a low bar to set. Players played hard for Jauron also. I'll give him hiring two good defensive coaches and getting the hell out of the way. But what else is there?

By all accounts, his specialty is offense. The offense has added better players, yet gotten worse. Everyone is quick to blame Hackett for the offense, yet also say the defense is run by Schwartz. If true, what is Marrone's actual function here?

What I've seen in the time he's been here that can be directly attributed to him:

- horrible clock management

- gutless 4th down play calling

- mismanaging the roster (sitting Urbik was borderline criminal...the line looks so much better with him in there, as even the average fan could have predicted)

- bumbling press conferences where he tries to explain some of his bone-headed decisions

Maybe he's a nice guy behind the scenes. Maybe he's not. But the guy is a complete meathead as a head coach and we'll never make the playoffs with him.

Such a shame, as this is actually a pretty talented team and a coach's primary function should be to get the best out of the roster he is given. In that respect, I really think he's the worst coach the Bills have had in the 25 years I've been watching this team.

I agree with this. The fact that Marrone seems to have quite a bit of support here is evidence that Bills fans have developed low standards. That being said, I think 9-7 buys him another year, deserved or not, which makes tomorrow a must-win for St Doug.

yeah because that's exactly what the post you quoted was saying <_<

Anyone who tries to say our stats are "inflated," because we play the Jets, and we should really take them out, is ridiculous. The AFC West gets the Raiders. Why can't we take those out? The Pats get the entire AFC East. The Colts get the Jags, Titans, and Texans. Etc etc.

To say the Bills are the only team with inflated stats because of bad teams is not grounded in reality.

Anyone who tries to say our stats are "inflated," because we play the Jets, and we should really take them out, is ridiculous. The AFC West gets the Raiders. Why can't we take those out? The Pats get the entire AFC East. The Colts get the Jags, Titans, and Texans. Etc etc.

To say the Bills are the only team with inflated stats because of bad teams is not grounded in reality.

Someone misses being on the debate team huh ?

It bothers me when people throw rankings without any context. Are the Bills the very worst team in the NFL inside the RedZone? Actually no they aren't, that distinction belongs to San Francisco(40% scoring percentage), which is humorous because people want Harbaugh to come here. The Bills are 30th at 43%.

So can we just attach that number to Marrone/Hackett and just say it's their fault? I don't think you can. The players still need to execute. The number includes 4 games of EJ Manuel who just refused throw the ball to his WR or TE's. With EJ in the first 4 games the Bills had a 37% scoring percentage. With Orton at QB the Bills have had a 47% scoring percentage in the RedZone which includes 2 games were they were at 0%. That 47% while not great would move them up 7 places. But look at the KC game for example, Bryce Brown fumbled the ball and Kyle Orton missed 2 wide open receivers. Is that Marrone/Hacketts fault? To me that seems more like player execution, Marrone/Hackett can't throw the ball and they can't not fumble the ball either. Let's say for arguments sake that Kyle Orton acutally hits the wide open receivers and Brown doesn't fumble the ball, that would raise the scoring percentage since Kyle has been the starting QB to 58%, that's good enough for top 10 in the league.

This isn't a Marrone does anything wrong post because I believe there are things that he does wrong. I just don't get why all the offensive troubles have to be thrown at his feet. He's had a journeyman QB and a rookie QB. The best teams in the league in the RedZone are lead by franchise and elite QB's, which I tend to think has a bit more to do with it then the coaching staff.

I'm merely using the rankings to give context to how bad the team is on offense. I never said the Bills were the worst team in the NFL in the red zone. I said the Bills are currently the worst in the red zone in scoring TD's. That is a huge stat when you think they could have gotten 21 points against the Dolphins instead of only 9. The Bills have been bad in the red zone with both Orton and EJ, both this year and last year.

The Bills are fielding a bad offense, and its not just due to the poor play of the players, or their mistakes. If you go back thru the thread and read my other posts you would read where I state....

There is a clear, and present reason why the team (QB) doesn't play well against the better defenses, and that is because the Bills are fielding a very bad offensive line. The QB tends to throw wild passes for the simple reason the interior line is so bad he can't step up in the pocket to complete those mid range to deep passes. Bad Coaching!

The game planning, and play calling have been very subject since the Chargers game in week 3 when the OC went pass happy with 39 passes vs 22 rushes. This despite the fact that the Bills were getting 4.0 YPC. The very next game against a weak against the run Texans it was even more compounded when the blatant moron of an OC has EJ throw 44 times vs 23 rushes when the Bills were getting 4.2 YPC by running. This allowed the Texans to get their only real defensive weapon in their fierce pass rush (JJ Watt) to have a field day against EJ. Same problem with the interior O line was so bad EJ couldn't step up to complete a pass, and was thus so wildly inaccurate. Bad Coaching!

For whatever reason the HC decided to bench his best offensive guard for a rookie who played like the worst OG in the NFL, and then started a RT at RG. This move was completely stupid and cost the team games before Urbik was inserted back into the lineup again at LG. Still the RG situation is unbelievably bad, and a big reason as to why the team can't run off right guard. Or have great difficulty running against good defenses in general. A bad O line for two years now. Bad Coaching!

So, the Bills swept one of the very worst teams in the NFL to inflate their current 6-5 record by two games. Sorry, I'm not impressed at this point. Perhaps should the team beat one or more of the upcoming better teams then I might start thinking the team is actually improving.

Currently the Bills are fielding a super bowl defense #4 ranked defense, and #1 in sacks with 46 sacks. They need 72 to break the record. The problem with this years team is they are fielding a very bad 26th ranked offense with a HC who has an extensive offensive background.

Great coaching on defense! Very poor coaching on offense!

The offensive troubles are being thrown at Marrone's feet because he is the HC, and is thoroughly responsible for the production or non-production of his offensive players.

Good thing the Bills GM gave up 3 draft picks to obtain that explosive play making WR (2014 #1 & 2015 #1, #4) to have his coaches use him as a decoy to get the #2 in Robert Woods pick the ball.

The Bills are currently fielding a championship defensive ranked fourth in total defense, number one in sacks in the NFL VS a JV college offense! Is it ok with you to ranked the Bills defense number four in total defense, number one in sacks?