Went back and looked at the NFL Rewind

I know there will come a game this season where people will have a reason to complain about EJ Manuel's performance....every QB has them

.....this last week was not it

Some of those passes he threw were just top notch and frankly they show his improvement from last year to this in a big way. He had some other throws under pressure that were off the mark.

- The Watkins bomb.....that ball was placed just about as good as a deep throw CAN be placed......and the only thing that prevents a Watkins catch is frankly he was interfered with....Grimes gets Watkins by the arm and pulls it down while Watkins is trying concentrate on bringing in the ball........still....a great throw

- The Chandler throw....a true illustration of EJ Manuel's progress making the side line throws......that ball is placed only where Chandler can get it....and once again.....the d back interferes with Chandler...that should have been a penalty if not a reception. DB's are not supposed to be able to pull down the arms of the receivers they are supposed to be making a play on the ball itself.

- The middle of the field end zone Watkins throw.....this was a miscommunication......EJ is once again showing his maturation as he is throwing the ball where the defenders ARENT.......Watkins didnt take the angle that EJ Manuel expected or that is a TD

One other play.......of little consequence after the fact but the back of the end zone throw to Williams.......this is EJ trusting his receiver to go get the ball and he just doesnt make it....but GREAT to see EJ trusting his receivers to get to a spot instead of waiting till they are open.

We didnt convert red zone scores.....but at least 2 of the above plays should have been touchdown throws.

With the Watkins throws, in regards to the deep ball, on a play when both players are hoofing it, I think Watkins gets an extra half step on the DB and holds onto a contested ball better if the rib isn't such a problem, so that pass will be there later this season. For the up the seam missed throw, that will be fixed by better chemistry, and both players seeing the same things, so that will be there later for us, too. So I am optimistic, too.

I know there will come a game this season where people will have a reason to complain about EJ Manuel's performance....every QB has them

Some of those passes he threw were just top notch and frankly they show his improvement from last year to this in a big way. He had some other throws under pressure that were off the mark.

- The Watkins bomb.....that ball was placed just about as good as a deep throw CAN be placed......and the only thing that prevents a Watkins catch is frankly he was interfered with....Grimes gets Watkins by the arm and pulls it down while Watkins is trying concentrate on bringing in the ball........still....a great throw

- The Chandler throw....a true illustration of EJ Manuel's progress making the side line throws......that ball is placed only where Chandler can get it....and once again.....the d back interferes with Chandler...that should have been a penalty if not a reception. DB's are not supposed to be able to pull down the arms of the receivers they are supposed to be making a play on the ball itself.

- The middle of the field end zone Watkins throw.....this was a miscommunication......EJ is once again showing his maturation as he is throwing the ball where the defenders ARENT.......Watkins didnt take the angle that EJ Manuel expected or that is a TD

One other play.......of little consequence after the fact but the back of the end zone throw to Williams.......this is EJ trusting his receiver to go get the ball and he just doesnt make it....but GREAT to see EJ trusting his receivers to get to a spot instead of waiting till they are open.

We didnt convert red zone scores.....but at least 2 of the above plays should have been touchdown throws.

Didn't see the replay recently but what you are saying here seems a bit off. If you are saying before the receiver has touched the ball, then you are correct. But if you are saying they can't drag down their arms the instant the ball first touches the receivers hands, then you are not correct. That is textbook defending to knock the ball out.

As far as EJ goes. It's amazing what some actual practice time and repetitions from the pre-season and training camp can do for you. I expressed numerous times here how baffled I was that people were giving up on him already during this pre-season. And the best part, he's just going to keep improving over the next few years until he really hits his grove. Hold on folks, we may actually have something here.

Edited by Mark80

As far as EJ goes. It's amazing what some actual practice time and repetitions from the pre-season and training camp can do for you. I expressed numerous times here how baffled I was that people were giving up on him already during this pre-season. And the best part, he's just going to keep improving over the next few years until he really hits his grove. Hold on folks, we may actually have something here.

I think the added reps and camp time helped, and so did the hiring of additional coaching help. We may have been somewhat undermanned and overwhelmed last year in that respect. Now if only we had a left guard.

Yeah, I've watched it a couple of times.The play to Watkins starts at the Miami 45 Watkins runs a go route EJ throws the pass when Watkins hits the 30-31 yard line and the pass is money. On Chandlers catch the play starts at the 29 1/2 . Chandler runs an out and up, at the 23-24 yard line he starts his break up the field. EJ was throwing the ball as Chandler was starting his break up field. He doesn't deliver those throws especially Chandlers last year.

The Chandler throw was a beauty- the kind of throw you expect from Manning or Brady.

The Catch was the highlight though

I think the added reps and camp time helped, and so did the hiring of additional coaching help. We may have been somewhat undermanned and overwhelmed last year in that respect. Now if only we had a left guard.

Now thats excellent analysis !

They do have a LG: his name is Cyril Richardson and he's a Rookie but he's the guy of the future

They do have a LG: his name is Cyril Richardson and he's a Rookie but he's the guy of the future

I certainly hope that's the case. I'd rather he get ready to start sooner rather than later! I know I takes time, I wonder how much progress he's making. It's tough during the season.

Didn't see the replay recently but what you are saying here seems a bit off. If you are saying before the receiver has touched the ball, then you are correct. But if you are saying they can't drag down their arms the instant the ball first touches the receivers hands, then you are not correct. That is textbook defending to knock the ball out.

On replay, the defender swats down on Chandler's arms before the ball arrived. It was definitely interference, although at full speed it's probably very hard to catch. But to me, it just makes the catch even more impressive.

With the Watkins throws, in regards to the deep ball, on a play when both players are hoofing it, I think Watkins gets an extra half step on the DB and holds onto a contested ball better if the rib isn't such a problem, so that pass will be there later this season. For the up the seam missed throw, that will be fixed by better chemistry, and both players seeing the same things, so that will be there later for us, too. So I am optimistic, too.

I see the seem route mis-connect entirely on the QB. It's a 'skinny-post' designed to connect before the safety can get over. IMO, Watkins ran the route perfectly as he would have been in the end zone by the time the safety arrived. That was on EJ.

- The Watkins bomb.....

- The Chandler throw....

- The middle of the field end zone Watkins throw.....

One other play.......of little consequence after the fact but the back of the end zone throw to Williams....

I forget the situation (but near/in red zone).... but he also fired a ball almost into the seats on what would have been a 'coverage' sack last year. He's getting better.

these examples, combined with this young man's character, leadership, charisma, and work ethic have me very optimistic for his, and the team's future.

Agreed! It's been said many times but how can anyone listen to him and not root for him. He's got the elusive 'it' that everyone talks about. His play is starting to catch up a bit.

Both throws were great. I disagree about interference on the Watkins play; that was a great play by the CB who was off balance and falling but still reached out and knocked the ball out of Watkins hands. The Chandler play was clearly interfered with, but I think the attention was probably on trying to watch the catch and his feet at the same time. Honestly, I think they called that an incompletion just because there's no way it should have been caught!

I see the seem route mis-connect entirely on the QB. It's a 'skinny-post' designed to connect before the safety can get over. IMO, Watkins ran the route perfectly as he would have been in the end zone by the time the safety arrived. That was on EJ.

So you know the playbook and know what was called there?

As far as I know no one has specifically said who's fault that was, so we don't know. If Sammy takes more of an angle, he would have had a TD because the safety wouldn't have been there in time.

We don't know who's fault that was which is why it annoys me when people automatically put it on EJ.

spot on! and throw in the fact that he has only started and completed just 11 seasonal games (aren't we 6-5 in those games, with some truly encouraging and inspiring performances from EJ?) along with finding the right combo on the offensive line i think he is doing very well and will only get better. experience "game wise" he is still in his rookie year. i truly don't understand or see the logic of the naysayers so early in his pro career. if we can get solid play from the guards (and i believe we will be seeing Richardson sooner than later) this team will be incredibly potent on the road and unbeatable at home. i'm sure they will get better in the rz; some of that is on Marrone, he has admitted as much.