Punter considerations - as the holder?

As the Bills evaluate a new punrter, Jordan Gay, as compared to old faithful, Brian Moorman, should the skils of either as a holder also be evaluated. From what I have seen, Moorman does a very good job as a holder getting the ball down regardless of the snap. I think that is one small reason why Dan Carpenter was successful. I think the holder position is one that is overlooked and if you don;t have a good one, it could cost you points. Considering how effective the Bills are in the Red zone, having a good kicking game is important. Just some food for thought.

Or you can make someone else the holder like a backup quarterback. I don't think that the "holder" issues factors in too much. Maybe a little bit, but not too much.

Holding the ball for a kicker is something that can be taught. And learning how to handle a bad snap is something quarterbacks learn anyway, which is why a backup QB is ideal for that job. So, I doubt the fact that our existing punter is a good holder will be a deal breaker one way or the other.

I think the holder position is one that is overlooked and if you don;t have a good one, it could cost you points.

on the flip side of that argument is that having a bad punter will cost you field position and points.

ill take the guy that is much better at the primary duties and sort out the rest later in most situations.

Edited by NoSaint

Or you can make someone else the holder like a backup quarterback. I don't think that the "holder" issues factors in too much. Maybe a little bit, but not too much.

Holding the ball for a kicker is something that can be taught. And learning how to handle a bad snap is something quarterbacks learn anyway, which is why a backup QB is ideal for that job. So, I doubt the fact that our existing punter is a good holder will be a deal breaker one way or the other.

I heard Jordan Palmer has taught hundreds of young QB's to be holders. He has never actually done it himself, of course, but because of his teaching experience, he must be good. :D

I heard Jordan Palmer has taught hundreds of young QB's to be holders. He has never actually done it himself, of course, but because of his teaching experience, he must be good. :D

That's some funny **** dude.

Maybe they did know what they were doing when bringing in Palmer. I wonder what else he can teach this team how to do. If nothing else, maybe him, Brady Quinn and that Peter Pan guy who posts on here can dress up and replace the Buffalo Jills for this season.....