Just so that people understand....regarding batted passes

I love this school of thought. So by your logic, Andrew Luck who had 18 batted down passes his rookie year, stares down his receivers.

How about Matt Ryan, who had 16 last year?

Yeah, but in their defense, they looked gooooood when getting them batted down.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wouldn't "getting the arms down" constitute holding? Wouldn't they physically have to bring these arms down by grabbing them and pulling them down?

No. The technique involves getting down and attacking the knees of the defender so that their hands come down to protect themselves, assuming that they aren't already engaged enough to have the pass-rusher too off balance to maintain their rushing lane.

No. The technique involves getting down and attacking the knees of the defender so that their hands come down to protect themselves, assuming that they aren't already engaged enough to have the pass-rusher too off balance to maintain their rushing lane.

That is correct, but as was pointed out on the Kiwanuka bat, the defender stopped the rush and stepped back to leap for the throw. There was little Urbik could do. It wasn't the case where the DL was able to jump while still engaged in the block. He read the play correctly and batted down the ball.

That is correct, but as was pointed out on the Kiwanuka bat, the defender stopped the rush and stepped back to leap for the throw. There was little Urbik could do. It wasn't the case where the DL was able to jump while still engaged in the block. He read the play correctly and batted down the ball.

That's the one that Wood talked about where he said that it was a designed defensive playcall for the defender to engage, and then drop off into shallow pass coverage underneath.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

That's the one that Wood talked about where he said that it was a designed defensive playcall for the defender to engage, and then drop off into shallow pass coverage underneath.

Right, so it's hard to blame the OL for that one, no?

One of the batted down passes was not even a batted down pass. He literally hit the DL in the shoulder pad, the pass was low, it was not over the top, it was terrible field vision and an awful throw.

The INT was just EJ never looking off and the Giants LB knew exactly where EJ was going the whole time.

The other batted ball was also EJ staring down the play.

So I guess Marrone has no idea what he is talking about......

This was one Preseason game.

To be followed by...

They were just preseason games.

It's only been a couple of regular season games.

We're only halfway through the season.

He was injured for part of the season, wait until you see what he does next year.

To be fair.

EJ is clearly staring down his receivers.

It seemed like the D-Line was purposely backing down to bat passes. jPP was no where near the pocket on the play he batted down the pass.

BUT IF Mike Williams catches that TD pass he dropped. EJ'a performance looks much better.

So like everything with EJ 1 step forward 1 step back and lots of uncertainty.

Im actually going to agree with that....I thought EJ did stare down his targets a bit.....and on the play where Urbik didnt knock the defenders hands down he purposly seemed to take a step back and anticipate the pass (in which case Urbike should have taken a step forward and engage him......which you could see he realized a second too late what the DL was doing)

Wrong.

EJ stared down all of his receivers, so badly, that if you go and look at his last batted pass, the defender dropped away from his rush and was able to get his hands up to knock EJs pass down. He actually just stopped rushing on the play it was that bad. The offensive lineman(not sure who it was) almost fell forward a little... what should he have done? it's not football 101 in any way, in fact, it's called holding. Further evidence of EJs inability to look anyone off was his near INT. It was so bad that the linebacker didn't even have to watch the route. Sorry pal, EJs flaws are entirely his own, and 100% due to his play.

Im not going to debate that EJ was staring down his receivers (because he was) however that is a thing that a LOT of young QB's do and not just EJ.....it is the OL's responsibility to engage the DL and not allow him to get his timing to knock down a pass.....case in point with Urbike.....when that DL took that step back Urbik should have take a step forward....and when the DL puts his hands up you SHOVE him to take him off balance and force the OL to bring his hands down....

It IS footbal 101.....which is why I am explaining it....and the reason why Marrone made mention of it last night

Every D lineman in every game has his hands up at some point when the QB is dropping back. One of the tallest QBs has to see what's right in front of him (ober and over). Roll out, pump fake....something. The O-linemen can't get away with holding on every play...

Its not holding.....that is why a OL is allowed to place his hands inside......all you have to do to keep them from jumping is give them a shove when they attempt to jump.

Look...this isnt that difficult to understand and I dont want to fight about it.

You dont even have to be that extreme......you just give them a shove to the mid section and the DL will bring their hands down to balance themselves.....or they dont extend their wingspan all the way out because they are off balance.

You dont have to hold at all to accomplish this

This was one Preseason game.

Right, but thats what we have said for the last 13 years after the first preseason game.. So ya, it's one preseason game, but they gave me no reason to think they're the same old Bills.. BUt ya, it's just one preseason game, your right...Same as the past 13 first preseason games..

Right, so it's hard to blame the OL for that one, no?

Correct. That's just one of those situations where the defense runs a stunt, and guesses right, so they break the play. Stunts like that, or jail break blitzes, etc. are almost impossible to account for. They are huge gambles by a defense that, when they guess wrong, or fail, can lead to huge chunk yardage by the offense, but stop a play in it's tracks when guessed correctly.

There isn't much a QB, offesnive lineman, or anyone else, can do to read these types of stunts.

Right, but thats what we have said for the last 13 years after the first preseason game.. So ya, it's one preseason game, but they gave me no reason to think they're the same old Bills.. BUt ya, it's just one preseason game, your right...Same as the past 13 first preseason games..

EJ went 16/21 w/ a TD in his first pre-season game last year. I know it's in the DNA for 90% of Bills fans (and god-given right) to irrationally B word and moan after the first "pre-pre-season" game of the year, but he threw seven passes last night. Seven. Not sure I'm willing to compare his two series of below-average QB play last night to the previous 13 years of failure.

EJ has been here all 13 of those years!!!! :doh:

EJ has been here all 13 of those years!!!! :doh:

Not to mention that in those past 13 years, even if our 1s looked semi-OK, our 2s and 3s would often get outplayed by the other teams 2s and 3s (lack of depth). I didn't see that so much last night...

Not to mention that in those past 13 years, even if our 1s looked semi-OK, our 2s and 3s would often get outplayed by the other teams 2s and 3s (lack of depth). I didn't see that so much last night...

Heitz,

I noticed that as well....it looks like not only is our talent level with our 1s getting much better....but the depth behind them are also looking much better

In fact, what we saw was the Giants leave their starting offense in an extra series so they could make up for being so bad the first two, followed by leaving their #2's in for a good while after the Bills had switched to their 3's.

Both Giants TDs happened while they were mismatching strings against the Bills.