GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

@YoloinOhio @Willyville Guy

How does this Buckeye team compare to last year's team? Obviously, Alabama was MUCH better last year. I think that the Tide defense is coming around but the offense lost too many stars to compensate. They are simply not as good as they were in 2020.

I happen to think that the quality of play overall in the NCAA is down this season in terms of the talent level. I for one have not seen a player who I would draft ahead of Will Anderson, and he is a sophmore OLB. People mention Bryce Young as a contender for the Heismann. Is he as good as Mac Jones? I am going to say no way, at least not yet.

I don't think that Buffalo716 (the scout) agrees with my assesment, but even the teams that improved (Mich., Mich St. to name 2) are not powerhouse teams imo. Now, look at Clemson. Even Oklahoma looks very beatable imo.

I would love to know what you guys (and of course others) think!

@BillfromNYC

Not currently playing to offensive potential. Defense has greatly improved from beginning of the year. Obviously not as good/experienced/dual threat  as last year at QB position. ST better. 

biggest difference between this year and last year is the flow of the season and not having guys in and out due to covid. They have 3 nfl WRs, it’s tough to match up with for most defenses. I think this team CAN win the national title. But it would still surprise me given the number of freshmen starting playing important roles on this team. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

@YoloinOhio @Willyville Guy

How does this Buckeye team compare to last year's team? Obviously, Alabama was MUCH better last year. I think that the Tide defense is coming around but the offense lost too many stars to compensate. They are simply not as good as they were in 2020.

I happen to think that the quality of play overall in the NCAA is down this season in terms of the talent level. I for one have not seen a player who I would draft ahead of Will Anderson, and he is a sophmore OLB. People mention Bryce Young as a contender for the Heismann. Is he as good as Mac Jones? I am going to say no way, at least not yet.

I don't think that Buffalo716 (the scout) agrees with my assesment, but even the teams that improved (Mich., Mich St. to name 2) are not powerhouse teams imo. Now, look at Clemson. Even Oklahoma looks very beatable imo.

I would love to know what you guys (and of course others) think!

My view is that this year's Buckeye team is not as good as last year's team.  I'm really surprised to see the interior OL struggle as much as they are in run blocking, and the defense has been a extreme work in progress all season.

As for the rest of the country, it's just chaos out there. Wake Forest leading the ACC tells me that conference is having a down year.  Oregon beat the Bucks, but I do believe that if OSU's current defense played that day the result would be different. The rest of that conference looks like a mess-- we'll see what happens when Oregon goes to Utah.  The Big 12 looks like it's having a down year with an undefeated Sooners team not getting the national respect I would expect to see in any other year.  As for the B1G and SEC, it's harder for me to tell how those conferences are really doing until the end of the year.  So, with all this uncertainty, I'm hoping the Bucks can "survive and move on" each week like Day says and see what happens.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Willyville Guy said:

My view is that this year's Buckeye team is not as good as last year's team.  I'm really surprised to see the interior OL struggle as much as they are in run blocking, and the defense has been a extreme work in progress all season.

As for the rest of the country, it's just chaos out there. Wake Forest leading the ACC tells me that conference is having a down year.  Oregon beat the Bucks, but I do believe that if OSU's current defense played that day the result would be different. The rest of that conference looks like a mess-- we'll see what happens when Oregon goes to Utah.  The Big 12 looks like it's having a down year with an undefeated Sooners team not getting the national respect I would expect to see in any other year.  As for the B1G and SEC, it's harder for me to tell how those conferences are really doing until the end of the year.  So, with all this uncertainty, I'm hoping the Bucks can "survive and move on" each week like Day says and see what happens.

They play tackles at guard. It’s maddening 

From what little I have seen, your loss was a complete fluke and OSU looks better than Alabama at this point. The Tide defense IS improving and imo Will Anderson is the best player in the country but it is (as we know) an offensive sport. 

I have not given up on the Tide but the way they look at this point their chances aren't great.

2022 will be quite a different story imo. :) 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

From what little I have seen, your loss was a complete fluke and OSU looks better than Alabama at this point. The Tide defense IS improving and imo Will Anderson is the best player in the country but it is (as we know) an offensive sport. 

I have not given up on the Tide but the way they look at this point their chances aren't great.

Well, like you said elsewhere, can’t count the Tide out until they’re eliminated.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Every Saturday I sit there and opine (loudly) at least once, “this is not a playoff team!” But then I watch other teams and… it’s wide open. 

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Every Saturday I sit there and opine (loudly) at least once, “this is not a playoff team!” But then I watch other teams and… it’s wide open. 

I could not agree more and call me crazy but this includes Georgia imo.

Hey, the way Alabama looks they really might not even play UGA for the conference title. That said, IF they make it that far they still have Nick Saban and an improving defense. A 5 star OLB named Dallas Turner kicked ass against LSU. Now, playing opposite Will Anderson takes blockers away from him, but; this kid might be great!!!  Still, our offense looks weak, especially up front. 

In summary, I am not quite ready at this point to hand everything to Georgia, as good as they do look.

On 11/8/2021 at 6:46 PM, Bill from NYC said:

OSU is a very solid team, and certainly a title contender. I wouldn’t be down on Bama  though. Those guys are road tested when the playoffs come around. OSU is head and shoulders better than the rest of the overrated Big Ten. OSU has the talent to win a title, but it’s hard to assess where they’re at this season, because I don’t believe in the Big Ten competition. If Bama wins the SEC title, it’d be tough for me to bet against them in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

OSU is a very solid team, and certainly a title contender. I wouldn’t be down on Bama  though. Those guys are road tested when the playoffs come around. OSU is head and shoulders better than the rest of the overrated Big Ten. OSU has the talent to win a title, but it’s hard to assess where they’re at this season, because I don’t believe in the Big Ten competition. If Bama wins the SEC title, it’d be tough for me to bet against them in the playoffs. 

Bama and Georgia will be in the SEC championship game.  The winner of that game will be in the final two.  It's hard to gauge how good OSU is because as you said, the Big Ten is suspect this year.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Good win. Great to see Wilson back and peaking.  Love covering in November. Love Meatball hammering out yards when called upon. Defense may still be an issue but hopefully they’ll be “good enough” down the stretch. 

BRING ME THE WHOLE STATE OF XICHIGAN!! 

I had to look it up - Purdue is the 8th best passing offense in the country. Probably higher than that after today. Woo boy. Otherwise,

HANG ON SLOOPY! Awesome game from the offense.

13 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Bama and Georgia will be in the SEC championship game.  The winner of that game will be in the final two.  It's hard to gauge how good OSU is because as you said, the Big Ten is suspect this year.

I would love to completely believe the above but neither Arkansas nor Auburn (on the road)) is a given imo. 

I think that the way for Bama to defeat these teams is on defense. Last season, the offensive losses through graduation were impossible even for Saban to replace. They lost a great quarterback, 2 great receivers, a smart, dominating center, the best running back in the NCAA, and a first round left tackle.  All of them are producing in the NFL. Remember, The Tide only had 1 close game in 2020, this with an all SEC schedule and 2 playoff games. This year is another story. 

Imo if Alabama wins the title this season (which btw I am not at all ready to predict), it will be the biggest coaching accomplishment of Saban's illustrious career. I'm not saying that they are not good, or even very good, but; I am saying that the offense doesn't even compare to 2020. 

As always, jmo.

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

6 days from now will be the last time Olave and Wilson will play in The Shoe. And I am NOT prepared. 😥

Olave coming out of absolutely nowhere to torch TTUN as a freshman will stay with me forever. 

Wilson changed the course of the OSU and Texas programs before he even arrived on campus, and he's lived up to the hype. 

Tough to see them go, but looking forward to seeing the next group thrive with JSN, Egbuka, Fleming, and Harrison. 

First things first though: I am out of mind excited to see these legends write the end of their stories.  

Olave coming out of absolutely nowhere to torch TTUN as a freshman will stay with me forever. 

Wilson changed the course of the OSU and Texas programs before he even arrived on campus, and he's lived up to the hype. 

Tough to see them go, but looking forward to seeing the next group thrive with JSN, Egbuka, Fleming, and Harrison. 

First things first though: I am out of mind excited to see these legends write the end of their stories.  

Olave when he wore #17! I’ll never forget that debut against Michigan. Wilson had a pretty sweet Michigan debut as a freshman as well - he caught that ridiculous TD from Fields after he got hurt and came back in, 2019. I’m excited about the young guys but sad to see these two go. Maybe, one will wear a Bills uni  🙏