GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

21 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

"Reward for conference championship" or "body of work"? I think we know which one the committee will value THIS season

Not sure there has ever been a reward for just making your conference championship. Still need to have no more than 1 loss at the end of the day. They’ve been very consistent about that. “Championships won”, however, is one of the tiebreaker criteria. So if usc had won last night they would go over Ohio state because they both had one loss but usc won their conference. 

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not sure there has ever been a reward for just making your conference championship. Still need to have no more than 1 loss at the end of the day. They’ve been very consistent about that. “Championships won”, however, is one of the tiebreaker criteria. So if usc had won last night they would go over Ohio state because they both had one loss but usc won their conference. 

I hear you. My point is the committee can speak out whatever side of their mouth they want to in order to support the outcome they ultimately desire.  

THis is why I am looking forward to the playoff expansion. The controversy over who makes it will shift from which "elite" team fails to make it which "good" team fails to make it.  Feelings will still be hurt regarding seeding and which "good" teams are left out, but in any given year all the "elite" teams will be in the dance which I think is what most fans care about.

8 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Gerdeman en fuego 

Merry Christmas, indeed 🤪

7 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

I hear you. My point is the committee can speak out whatever side of their mouth they want to in order to support the outcome they ultimately desire.  

THis is why I am looking forward to the playoff expansion. The controversy over who makes it will shift from which "elite" team fails to make it which "good" team fails to make it.  Feelings will still be hurt regarding seeding and which "good" teams are left out, but in any given year all the "elite" teams will be in the dance which I think is what most fans care about.

Yes a lot of people are saying for $$ and ratings reasons they are going to go for the Ohio state-Michigan rematch in the semi final. I think it will take some gymnastics to do that unless Michigan loses tonight, but they will do what they want and justify it somehow 

Edited by YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Fair argument, but you shouldn't be given a pass for losing a conference title game either. 

2024 it won't matter much, will be 12 teams. Then everyone will argue about why they should be 12 not 13. 🤷

I agree no one should get a pass, but that's exactly what OSU got.   It's not that big of a deal because they're probably a lot better than USC anyway, but it's just the principle of it.  And like you said, they are correcting it next year anyway with the 12 teams. 

Honestly, this is why I can't be bothered to pay much attention to college football.  Every year, there's teams lobbying to get in (like Saban talking about Alabama's "3 game winning streak") and more often than not, the committee decides based on which teams are better for the revenue, instead of better on the field.

It's insane to me that a team can go undefeated, yet a team with 1-2 losses still gets in over them.  I know that's not the case this year, but it has happened in the past.  There really needs to just be a set of tiebreakers that determines who is in and who is out, instead of people in a room somewhere deciding.

I'd also argue that teams should be able to refuse to play in their Conference "Championship" game.  Most of the time, the teams playing have everything to lose, with little or nothing to gain, while teams that don't make the games can sit, watch and possibly get bumped up over teams while they do nothing on their own to earn a spot.

7 hours ago, BLeonard said:

Honestly, this is why I can't be bothered to pay much attention to college football.  Every year, there's teams lobbying to get in (like Saban talking about Alabama's "3 game winning streak") and more often than not, the committee decides based on which teams are better for the revenue, instead of better on the field.

It's insane to me that a team can go undefeated, yet a team with 1-2 losses still gets in over them.  I know that's not the case this year, but it has happened in the past.  There really needs to just be a set of tiebreakers that determines who is in and who is out, instead of people in a room somewhere deciding.

I'd also argue that teams should be able to refuse to play in their Conference "Championship" game.  Most of the time, the teams playing have everything to lose, with little or nothing to gain, while teams that don't make the games can sit, watch and possibly get bumped up over teams while they do nothing on their own to earn a spot.

I strongly disagree with your first 2 paragraphs. If a team from a bargain basement, garage sale conference (Tulane for example) gets lucky one season and wins out, are you saying that they should get in over a 1 or even 2 loss Ohio State, etc.? How many players (besides JP Losman LOL) have they delivered to the NFL as compared to the top quality teams? Do you think that Tulane could beat any of the Top 20 teams?

That said, I strongly agree with your last paragraph. In fact, I think that conference championship games should be eliminated. Having 12 playoff teams will already increase the workload for many of these kids, and the chance for them to suffer injury. Is there ANY doubt that some players will suffer career shattering injuries playing in these extra games? I get it that football fans are at least in a sense like fans of gladiators in days of old. I also understand that these players are now getting paid, and some are making lots of money. Still, some of them (the very good/great ones) stand to lose millions and for what? A conference title?

They should make all conferences have one division and let the team with the best record (or tie breakers if necessary) be the conference champion. 

Jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC

1. Georgia 

2. Michigan 

3. TCU 

4. Ohio State 

Absolutely strange year in College Football.  In normal years there are 5-6 teams you could make an argument for getting into the playoff.  This year there is literally 4.  Zero 2 loss teams have ever made it and the committee has been quite vocal in prior years that 2 losses is a line they won't cross.  So we have these 4 teams and a hog pile of 2-3 loss teams.  Some are Conference Champions but that's not enough to negate their losses.  Georgia is clearly the best team in the nation and Michigan has defeated everyone they have crossed paths with, so those are the top 2.  TCU and Ohio State could go 3 or 4 in any order but I think you need to give the edge to TCU because their loss was on a neutral field in OT while Ohio State lost at home by 22.  Also I really doubt the committee would "punish" Michigan by having to play Ohio State in the semifinal.  Make Ohio State earn that rematch if it's going to happen.  🤷

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I strongly disagree with your first 2 paragraphs. If a team from a bargain basement, garage sale conference (Tulane for example) gets lucky one season and wins out, are you saying that they should get in over a 1 or even 2 loss Ohio State, etc.? How many players (besides JP Losman LOL) have they delivered to the NFL as compared to the top quality teams? Do you think that Tulane could beat any of the Top 20 teams?

Jmo.

Finally we agree on at least one thing.  The best a garbage basement conference can produce is a player like Gabe Davis.  I like Gabe and all but in the very same draft Bama alone produced superstar Jerry Jeudy and would be superstar if he hadn’t burned someone alive Henry Ruggs.  The difference is mind blowing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Mark92 said:

1. Georgia 

2. Michigan 

3. TCU 

4. Ohio State 

Absolutely strange year in College Football.  In normal years there are 5-6 teams you could make an argument for getting into the playoff.  This year there is literally 4.  Zero 2 loss teams have ever made it and the committee has been quite vocal in prior years that 2 losses is a line they won't cross.  So we have these 4 teams and a hog pile of 2-3 loss teams.  Some are Conference Champions but that's not enough to negate their losses.  Georgia is clearly the best team in the nation and Michigan has defeated everyone they have crossed paths with, so those are the top 2.  TCU and Ohio State could go 3 or 4 in any order but I think you need to give the edge to TCU because their loss was on a neutral field in OT while Ohio State lost at home by 22.  Also I really doubt the committee would "punish" Michigan by having to play Ohio State in the semifinal.  Make Ohio State earn that rematch if it's going to happen.  🤷

I agree that Ohio state stays at 4. But at the same time they wouldn’t want to punish Michigan with a rematch, it’s punishing UGA for being the #1 seed to play a healthy Ohio state in the semi final instead of TCU. The predicted point spread is a 5 point difference for them. -5 vs osu and -10 vs TCU.

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Finally we agree on at least one thing.  The best a garbage basement conference can produce is a player like Gabe Davis.  I like Gabe and all but in the very same draft Bama alone produced superstar Jerry Jeudy and would be superstar if he hadn’t burned someone alive Henry Ruggs.  The difference is mind blowing.

I like to think that there are more things upon which we may agree. :)👍👌

6 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Undefeated is undefeated.  You can only beat the teams on your schedule.  In what other sport can a team go UNDEFEATED yet NOT even get in the playoffs?

If those teams know from day one, no matter what they do, they can't qualify for a chance at a championship, why should they bother playing at all?  We see teams in the NFL that win their division while finishing under .500.  In baseball, for the longest time, you had to win your division to make the playoffs.  Half of the teams in the NHL and more than half of the teams in the NBA make their respective playoffs.  Yet, in college football, because the rest of a teams' conference may not be great, they punish an undefeated team.  Not right, IMO.

What if, using your example, Tulane finishes undefeated and they're the team that beats Ohio State?  You still putting OSU in, even though Tulane has a H2H win?

This all highlights my issue with the committee.  It's currently based on opinions of who's better than who.  The expansion should help, as I can't imagine any undefeated team being left out in that situation, regardless of what conference they come from.

14 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Yea josh Allen is a bum from Wyoming and Khalil Mack a bum from UB… Antonio brown from central Michigan and I can go on and On

If you think Gabe Davis is the best player a group of five can produce lmaoooooi