GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

10 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Yup, and a true playoff team also doesn't lose 31-0 😉.  

Spin it how you want for fun/bulletin board material, but Dabo didn't rate OSU 11th based on talent.  Was merely a shot at the PAC 12 and BIG10 leadership's inept, politically-motivated decision to start late that put their student athletes at a huge disadvantage while trying to make other conferences look bad.  How dumb they look now.  Not OSU's players/coaches fault at all though, feel bad for them. 

Last year's game was quite fun to watch, expect nothing less this time around. Clemson looks better as of late but if OSU can put it together, who knows.  Love all the fan chatter going into the game though. Both teams are recruiting at insane levels (particularly OSU), and aren't going anywhere.  Should be an awesome, physical game.

I appreciate your perspective but Dabo ranked OSU #11 so I don't see how anyone can draw any conclusion other than that Dabo thinks OSU is the 11th ranked team. Miss me with the whole idea that the ranking was about B1G leadership putting B1G student athletes at a huge disadvantage. I just don't buy it.  Also, Dabo said six games isn't enough (fine) and that the minimum number of games to be eligible should be nine. Nine? What a random number - where did that number come from? Oh, it's the exact number of games that his quarterback played - and he wouldn't want to say anything to hurt Lawrence's eligibility for the Heisman. He's very transparent, and the holier-than-thou persona has worn thin. 

All that being said, I agree that the chatter is wild this year and definitely making the pre-game more intriguing. Ohio State rarely, if ever, engages in this kind of banter so for me it's very unusual.

I think OSU has more than a puncher's chance tomorrow; hopefully they don't get another beatdown from Clemson.

Edited by Willyville Guy

1 hour ago, Willyville Guy said:

I appreciate your perspective but Dabo ranked OSU #11 so I don't see how anyone can draw any conclusion other than that Dabo thinks OSU is the 11th ranked team. Miss me with the whole idea that the ranking was about B1G leadership putting B1G student athletes at a huge disadvantage. I just don't buy it.  Also, Dabo said six games isn't enough (fine) and that the minimum number of games to be eligible should be nine. Nine? What a random number - where did that number come from? Oh, it's the exact number of games that his quarterback played - and he wouldn't want to say anything to hurt Lawrence's eligibility for the Heisman. He's very transparent, and the holier-than-thou persona has worn thin. 

All that being said, I agree that the chatter is wild this year and definitely making the pre-game more intriguing. Ohio State rarely, if ever, engages in this kind of banter so for me it's very unusual.

I think OSU has more than a puncher's chance tomorrow; hopefully they don't get another beatdown from Clemson.

Well it's very well documented that Dabo did not rank any BIG or PAC school in the top 10 out of principal. That's very specifically why OSU was #11.  He has said repeatedly since the ranks came out when questioned (I believe 3 or 4 separate times) that Ohio State is one of the most talented teams in the country and can easily beat Clemson and win it all, the reason they weren't in his top 4 was PURELY because BIG started late and OSU only played 6 games, and so much can happen over the course of a season in terms of injuries/losing to a bad team, its not fair to the teams that played more games, etc.  It's incredibly well documented all his comments on it.  Is is subjective/arbitrary? Sure.  But he's been consistent and it has nothing to do with how talented OSU is. Here is a quick excerpt from a recent 247 article, he said this December 10 and did not stray through all his rankings...

"I think any time you step in between the lines, the game of football, there's a lot that can happen — a lot. I mean, heck — in 2017, we lost to a three-win or four-win Syracuse team and still went to the Playoffs. So anything can happen. Guys can get hurt.... I think the Big Ten had the same opportunity and they chose not to play, and I think the only reason they ended up playing is because of the leadership of the SEC and the ACC and the Big 12, and have demonstrated that we can do it and do it in a safe way. So it's been an unbelievably challenging season, that's for sure, but I think that the committee's going to have some tough, tough, tough questions to answer and things like that, regardless of what they do."   

Then after OSU got in:

“Well, not surprised because that’s what the committee has demonstrated over the past few weeks," Swinney said. "That’s the decision the committee made. Hey, congratulations to those guys. We all know Ohio State is an incredibly talented team. We look forward to a great matchup. We had a heck of a game with them last year and I doubt it’ll be anything different this year. It’s going to be a great, competitive game. Both teams fighting, probably going to come down to a few plays and we’ll be looking forward to it in New Orleans.”

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/College-Football-Playoff-Ohio-State-Clemson-Ryan-Day-responds-Dabo-Swinney-coaches-poll-ranking-158132718/

With that said, I don't agree with this rankings.  OSU is clearly one of the most talented teams, who cares if you have to bend a little for only 6 games to get them in.  Why even give OSU a way to twist it into bulletin board material? Incredibly stupid on Dabo's part, but that's who he is, he won't back down from his principals.  You can say what you want about his personality and lack of political correctness (admittedly if I wasn't a Clemson alumn it would rub me the wrong way) but he is 100% genuine.  I'm sure you have heard the underdog story by now, this is a guy who grew up with nothing, and when he walked on at Bama his dad was in jail, mother had to live in his dorm room and sleep in his bed when because she was homeless, was almost out of coaching was selling real estate for a while before his miraculous rise as interim HC, etc. He's all real and will tell you exactly what he thinks, which is refreshing in a way. and the players and coaches who know him all validate that.  Even rival coaches like Saban and Day.  

Regardless, this is going to be a great game and I hope they meet again in the years to come.  All in good fun (and secondary to the Bills of course!) Spot the ball! 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Well it's very well documented that Dabo did not rank any BIG or PAC school in the top 10 out of principal. That's very specifically why OSU was #11.  He has said repeatedly since the ranks came out when questioned (I believe 3 or 4 separate times) that Ohio State is one of the most talented teams in the country and can easily beat Clemson and win it all, the reason they weren't in his top 4 was PURELY because BIG started late and OSU only played 6 games, and so much can happen over the course of a season in terms of injuries/losing to a bad team, its not fair to the teams that played more games, etc.  It's incredibly well documented all his comments on it.  Is is subjective/arbitrary? Sure.  But he's been consistent and it has nothing to do with how talented OSU is. Here is a quick excerpt from a recent 247 article, he said this December 10 and did not stray through all his rankings...

"I think any time you step in between the lines, the game of football, there's a lot that can happen — a lot. I mean, heck — in 2017, we lost to a three-win or four-win Syracuse team and still went to the Playoffs. So anything can happen. Guys can get hurt.... I think the Big Ten had the same opportunity and they chose not to play, and I think the only reason they ended up playing is because of the leadership of the SEC and the ACC and the Big 12, and have demonstrated that we can do it and do it in a safe way. So it's been an unbelievably challenging season, that's for sure, but I think that the committee's going to have some tough, tough, tough questions to answer and things like that, regardless of what they do."   

Then after OSU got in:

“Well, not surprised because that’s what the committee has demonstrated over the past few weeks," Swinney said. "That’s the decision the committee made. Hey, congratulations to those guys. We all know Ohio State is an incredibly talented team. We look forward to a great matchup. We had a heck of a game with them last year and I doubt it’ll be anything different this year. It’s going to be a great, competitive game. Both teams fighting, probably going to come down to a few plays and we’ll be looking forward to it in New Orleans.”

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/College-Football-Playoff-Ohio-State-Clemson-Ryan-Day-responds-Dabo-Swinney-coaches-poll-ranking-158132718/

With that said, I don't agree with this rankings.  OSU is clearly one of the most talented teams, who cares if you have to bend a little for only 6 games to get them in.  Why even give OSU a way to twist it into bulletin board material? Incredibly stupid on Dabo's part, but that's who he is, he won't back down from his principals.  You can say what you want about his personality and lack of political correctness (admittedly if I wasn't a Clemson alumn it would rub me the wrong way) but he is 100% genuine.  I'm sure you have heard the underdog story by now, this is a guy who grew up with nothing, and when he walked on at Bama his dad was in jail, mother had to live in his dorm room and sleep in his bed when because she was homeless, was almost out of coaching was selling real estate for a while before his miraculous rise as interim HC, etc. He's all real and will tell you exactly what he thinks, which is refreshing in a way. and the players and coaches who know him all validate that.  Even rival coaches like Saban and Day.  

Regardless, this is going to be a great game and I hope they meet again in the years to come.  All in good fun (and secondary to the Bills of course!) Spot the ball! 

Dabo is consistent and principled. Except when he’s not. 

Oops. Dabo says and does what’s good for Dabo. I don’t begrudge him that one bit but his whole “I say what’s right even when it’s hard” routine is really played out. 

Anyway, yes — Go Bills and spot the damn ball already!

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Dabo is consistent and principled. Except when he’s not. 

Oops. Dabo says and does what’s good for Dabo. I don’t begrudge him that one bit but his whole “I say what’s right even when it’s hard” routine is really played out. 

Anyway, yes — Go Bills and spot the damn ball already!

If you look at the actual context of that interview (not the paraphrasing in the tweet), it was in the context of a BIG team actually playing 9 games (8 regular season + conference championship) to the other conferences 11 (10 regular season + conference championship). 9 vs 11 isn't that big of deal, 9 is still substantially whole season.  If all teams missed a lot of games (as who knew at that point)and it was only a game or two apart number wise that's okay too. That's what he was saying in context.

Of course BIG foolishly started way later than necessary and left no bye weeks (asinine).  What he is saying now after the games have been played and we see 6 games vs 9,10, or 11, that isn't fair and the disparity is too great.  I don't fully agree with his argument, and agree he is stretching now that to advocate for his team, but don't try and act like he's doing a huge 180 and now he's a fraud or something.  He's pissed (as you should be too) that BIG leadership was virtue signaling for political reasons and was recklessly foolish to start late and prevent their teams from getting a full season in.  This has nothing to do with OSU, it's not like he's trying to avoid them, Clemson is 3-0 against them in recent years and he respects OSU and Day.  It's about the inept BIG and PAC conference "leaders" who don't value football and were trying to make others look bad and almost ruined the college season in the process, which would have been the worse thing possible for these student athletes.  Football matters, it impacts communities positively on and off the field (we know this as Bills fans!).  Some people hate football and the power it holds and were salivating at the prospect of NFL/CFP being canceled. Sad but true. 

12 hours ago, vtnatefootball11 said:

Then after OSU got in:

TL/DR

Dabo sounds like a moron. If it takes him 20 minutes to explain his #takes it’s probably because they are MUD. Stop worrying about how many games teams are able to play during a pandemic. It’s a ***** pandemic. It’s an obvious disadvantage that Ohio state hasn’t had the opportunity to play more games. They have young players everywhere and have been without half their team for weeks due to Covid. But he’s trying to position it as a potential excuse for HIM.  He sounds ridiculous. Go Bucks.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Harry Miller is out with Covid ... there is also a defensive player out but not confirmed who it is. Sounds like could be Zach Harrison. 

Miller has had a tough couple of games. 

Losing Harrison hurts - he’s good and LJ will want to rotate the guys up front as much as possible. 

Hope they’re both okay. Go Bucks!

@YoloinOhio  This may be lampish and you probably won't remember but when Ruckert was a HS senior for a rival (my marching band son was a freshman)  I posted about how Ruckert was wrecking HS school games as a WR, LB and kicker and you knew he was a top TE recruit. Now my son is a senior and we're watching Ruckert have a big game on a big stage. Cool to see. Tonight I'm a Buckeye fan.

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

@YoloinOhio  This may be lampish and you probably won't remember but when Ruckert was a HS senior for a rival (my marching band son was a freshman)  I posted about how Ruckert was wrecking HS school games as a WR, LB and kicker and you knew he was a top TE recruit. Now my son is a senior and we're watching Ruckert have a big game on a big stage. Cool to see. Tonight I'm a Buckeye fan.

Pride of Lindenhurst, NY! Go Ruck!

*yes, I do remember 

• Thank you (+1) 1