GO Bucks

YoloinOhio

27 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

Seems like a lot of chaos on that side of the ball and I’m not sure I see a clear upgrade. Reserving judgement. 

My optimistic view is that something had to change. The defense was historically bad, and it wasn’t bacause of all the 5 star recruits. Bill Davis had to be out, at minimum. Grinch made no impression either way, and in 7 years as a power 5 coach he’s reeled in one total 4 star recruit. I think his year here was somewhat ill-timed. He was hired to take over for Schiano but then Schiano didn’t leave. Schiano’s scheme, imo, is not a good fit for college. I think he’s a better HC than DC in college.

imo, bringing guys over from UM is interesting but if we had their defensive coaches this year, i strongly believe we would be playing tonight. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

My optimistic view is that something had to change. The defense was historically bad, and it wasn’t bacause of all the 5 star recruits. Bill Davis had to be out, at minimum. Grinch made no impression either way, and in 7 years as a power 5 coach he’s reeled in one total 4 star recruit. I think his year here was somewhat ill-timed. He was hired to take over for Schiano but then Schiano didn’t leave. Schiano’s scheme, imo, is not a good fit for college. I think he’s a better HC than DC in college.

imo, bringing guys over from UM is interesting but if we had their defensive coaches this year, i strongly believe we would be playing tonight. 

Couldn’t agree more about the outgoing staff.

Not sure yet about the incoming guys. I don’t know anything about Hafley other than his former position, which at least addresses an obvious need. Mattison on the other hand... I have respect for the guy but we already have an old D-line coach. I also want to see what happens with the LB spot. Just a lot of movement and (unlike the changes on offense) it’s not entirely clear to me how it’s all coming together. I get that Day’s been HC for about a week so I’m content to sit and watch what he does without a ton of anxiety. For now. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow I totally expected him to declare! 

This is HUGE. I had a feeling he would come back. If the young OL develops the offense could be elite again. The defense should absolutely take steps forward. Washington is a big get for the Bucks. If he can develop Gant and Mitchell they will be improved there. I’m pumped for Harrison too (Zach that is). I honestly believe this team has a chance to play for the title next year and it makes me happy. If so, you’ve got a place to stay (you too @Willyville Guy). 

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Willyville Guy said:

https://247sports.com/college/ohio-state/Article/Ohio-State-Buckeyes-Brian-Snead-part-ways-127262812/Amp/

Snead is out. I had very high hopes for him and still have no clue what happened. 

So now it’s Dobbins, McCall, and Teague. Should be interesting. 

Day is going to play McCall a lot!!

I hear Snead had a Torrance Gibson like incident, and was ultimately dismissed

On 1/15/2019 at 7:52 AM, Bill from NYC said:

Good stats. I would like to see those numbers for the teams that made the playoffs.

Ourlads has a site that shows all players from each school in the NFL plus their draft slot and what string they are on their team. There’s a drop down in the right hand corner to choose any D1 school.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/active-nfl-players-by-college/ohio-state/91533

• Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Day retained the coaches he wanted to keep (for the most part), rebuilt the defensive staff and added a well-regarded QB coach, avoided a mass defection of players and recruits following the exit of an all-time great coach, got Fields enrolled in classes with approval to play appearing likely, and yesterday signed two monster recruits on the OL.  I'm definitely biased, but Day's performance so far has been very impressive to me.

2 hours ago, Willyville Guy said:

Day retained the coaches he wanted to keep (for the most part), rebuilt the defensive staff and added a well-regarded QB coach, avoided a mass defection of players and recruits following the exit of an all-time great coach, got Fields enrolled in classes with approval to play appearing likely, and yesterday signed two monster recruits on the OL.  I'm definitely biased, but Day's performance so far has been very impressive to me.

I finally was able to watch the coach and player interviews from yesterday. Jeff Hafley blew me away. He has Coombs-like enthusiasm. He said everything with such conviction. I hope he’s as good on the field as he is in front of the media.  Either way I think he will be a great recruiter. 

Justin Fields was also very impressive. It really is a good thing Tate is out of there. I wish him the best at the U, but they didn’t need that drama. Turns out he’d been trying to transfer since August. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

34 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I finally was able to watch the coach and player interviews from yesterday. Jeff Hafley blew me away. He has Coombs-like enthusiasm. He said everything with such conviction. I hope he’s as good on the field as he is in front of the media.  Either way I think he will be a great recruiter. 

Justin Fields was also very impressive. It really is a good thing Tate is out of there. I wish him the best at the U, but they didn’t need that drama. Turns out he’d been trying to transfer since August. 

I liked Hafley's energy too -- and his promise that the CBs will turn their heads around and track the ball in coverage this year! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1