Know anyone with a disease? Read this

On 6/28/2019 at 4:36 PM, Chef Jim said:

So today's lesson:

If you really want to get ***** up and fall down start slow.  

I thought this thread was about curing diseases not getting wasted.  

Sheesh, that's some gratitude for ya!  You post about your mistress's foolishness regarding cannabis intake and then go out of your way to criticize my attempt to help you two?  On top of that, I even inquired about your bouts with psychosis.  I hear that can hang on sometimes for a week or more.

All though, not good enough for Jimmy.  Still he has to lash out at anyone trying to help him.  Sad

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/28/2019 at 4:01 PM, Wacka said:

Hey Bob, got back from a checkup and all  tests in normal range. BP was 122/62!  Five tears post stroke as of a week from  next Monday. All without a puff  or leaf of ganga passing my lips.

Have to take  BP medicines,  a statin,  and a couple of others (for a total of 7 prescriptions(and Mg (for leg cramps), aspirin, and VitaminD). Had some back spasms, but subsided, and I need to  lose more weight. My stress test last month was OK. I glad I am in good shape  even with the stress of being primary caretaker for my almost 93 year-old mom.

Glad to hear you have recovered from your health scare.  Hopefully you will be around for many years.

We are around the same age.  One to one health comparisons don't mean much but since we are apparently bragging here....  About a decade ago my spinal problems started.  Until that time I had been active and relatively healthy.  With injury I started taking a fistful of pills daily including multiple vicodins, gabapentins, muscle relaxers, anti-anxiety meds, and a couple of scripts for related gastric issues.  I began and still get periodic spinal injections at a pain management clinic

Once I switched to medical cannabis concentrates, gradually I have left most all of those prescriptions behind.  Aside from a nightly cannabis concentrate capsule, I probably take less than 5 pills a month.  If I do something foolish and have breakthrough pain I resort to the pills, otherwise cannabis and the concentrate capsules are enough to allow me to function.

I have no history of stroke or heart problems.  I am maybe 10 lbs overweight, but at my physical recently my doctor actually congratulated me for being in such good shape.  I am sure there are doubts about that, but it is true.  My blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar are all normal, without meds.  Also, according to my doc, my kidney and liver function as well as my testosterone levels have all improved since I switched my primary pain medicine  to cannabis.

Edited by Bob in Mich

16 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Glad to hear you have recovered from your health scare.  Hopefully you will be around for many years.

We are around the same age.  One to one health comparisons don't mean much but since we are apparently bragging here....  About a decade ago my spinal problems started.  Until that time I had been active and relatively healthy.  With injury I started taking a fistful of pills daily including multiple vicodins, gabapentins, muscle relaxers, anti-anxiety meds, and a couple of scripts for related gastric issues.  I began and still get periodic spinal injections at a pain management clinic

Once I switched to medical cannabis concentrates, gradually I have left most all of those prescriptions behind.  Aside from a nightly cannabis concentrate capsule, I probably take less than 5 pills a month.  If I do something foolish and have breakthrough pain I resort to the pills, otherwise cannabis and the concentrate capsules are enough to allow me to function.

I have no history of stroke or heart problems.  I am maybe 10 lbs overweight, but at my physical recently my doctor actually congratulated me for being in such good shape.  I am sure there are doubts about that, but it is true.  My blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugar are all normal, without meds.  Also, according to my doc, my kidney and liver function as well as my testosterone levels have all improved since I switched my primary pain medicine  to cannabis.

A lot of people had that same issue about a decade ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went to the gym last night.  I was there for about an hour and I felt really strange.  The feeling was one that I recognized but couldn't figure out where it came from.  As it became more intense I realized "holy *****...I'm stoned!!"  What happened?  Well I take CBD oil a couple times a day.  Not sure if it does anything but I've noticed my joints (no pun intended) do not hurt as much so it may be because of the CBD oil.  I had just a small amount left in the bottle and I couldn't get the dropper to work so I just tipped it back and "drank" what was left.  There was sediment in the bottom that had a very high concentration of the THC.  I shake the bottle every time I use it but there will always be the "sludge" at the bottom.  So I "dosed" myself and this just reinforced the fact I hate edibles.  It took nearly an hour for the buzz to take effect and I didn't know how intense it was going to be and I really hate the feeling of being "too high".   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

I went to the gym last night.  I was there for about an hour and I felt really strange.  The feeling was one that I recognized but couldn't figure out where it came from.  As it became more intense I realized "holy *****...I'm stoned!!"  What happened?  Well I take CBD oil a couple times a day.  Not sure if it does anything but I've noticed my joints (no pun intended) do not hurt as much so it may be because of the CBD oil.  I had just a small amount left in the bottle and I couldn't get the dropper to work so I just tipped it back and "drank" what was left.  There was sediment in the bottom that had a very high concentration of the THC.  I shake the bottle every time I use it but there will always be the "sludge" at the bottom.  So I "dosed" myself and this just reinforced the fact I hate edibles.  It took nearly an hour for the buzz to take effect and I didn't know how intense it was going to be and I really hate the feeling of being "too high".   

I thought CBD wasn't supposed to have any THC in it.  Or maybe some do?  I think in NYS, they're not supposed to.  

13 minutes ago, bbb said:

I thought CBD wasn't supposed to have any THC in it.  Or maybe some do?  I think in NYS, they're not supposed to.  

It's not supposed to -- but it comes down to the manufacturer and their skill in distilling it. Some are better than others, and I expect it to only improve as the industry grows and matures... but I had a very similar experience to Chef last year (though I didn't mind it because I wasn't at the gym or work thankfully). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It's not supposed to -- but it comes down to the manufacturer and their skill in distilling it. Some are better than others, and I expect it to only improve as the industry grows and matures... but I had a very similar experience to Chef last year (though I didn't mind it because I wasn't at the gym or work thankfully). 

I've run into this at times. We've have people testing positive for THC while on probation, even though they've only vaped CBD oil. Many of the manufacturers are shady *****wads who are just looking to push as much product as possible, so quality isn't their interest.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

How was the muzak?   They play any bangers ? 

1 hour ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Not true.  CBD and THC each have their own value.  This is the only time Bob would be helpful.  LOL

Oh and good thing I didn't do that before work as opposed to after work. I would have given a VERY interesting Monday morning staff meeting. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Not true.  CBD and THC each have their own value.  This is the only time Bob would be helpful.  LOL

Oh and good thing I didn't do that before work as opposed to after work. I would have given a VERY interesting Monday morning staff meeting. 

That's right Jim.  Gold star for you today.  CBD and THC both have significant medicinal value individually as well as working in concert with other cannabinoids in what is referred to as the 'entourage effect' to treat other illnesses.

CBD and THC and about 150 other compounds called cannabinoids are found in varying concentrations in both marijuana and in hemp.  Hemp and marijuana are the same plant but our government has decided that if the THC concentration is low enough, we'll call it hemp and we will now allow American farmers to grow it.

With processing, these cannabinoids can be extracted from the plant matter.  A 'full plant extract' will strip the plant flowers and (sometimes) leaves of whatever cannabinoids that particular strain contains.  A strain high in CBD will produce a full plant extract high in CBD and similarly a high THC strain of cannabis will result in an extract high in THC.

Another way to process the plant involves extraction and distillation to achieve greater purity of a specific cannabinoid, like a CBD or THC.  Distillates will often claim purity of over 95%.  If I recall, pure THC and CBD are both crystalline.  See the link below for more detail on extraction methods.

For money, disreputable salesmen (growers, dispensary owners, or processors) will often make claims that are untrue in order to sell their products.  Before the CBD craze, THC concentrations were inflated or average cannabis strains were mislabeled as particularly popular strains in order to increase sales/profits.  With CBD being quasi-legal now, disreputables are claiming high plant CBD concentrations and again mislabeling strains in order to increase sales.

Really, third party testing is about the only way to ensure quality but with variances from crop to crop, even that is not totally foolproof.  As with most other medical uses of cannabis, due to insufficient research, one must experiment a bit to find something that works for them. 

https://www.cbdoil.org/cbd-extraction-methods/

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2018 at 11:18 AM, Bob in Mich said:

RSO (Rick Simpson Oil or cannabis concentrate oil)  has been shown to help some cancer patients reduce the size and/or number of their tumors.  The web has hundreds if not thousands of patient testimonials claiming cannabis oil has helped them 'beat back' a wide variety of cancers. 

There are animal studies showing that cannabinoids can be effective in getting cancer cells to commit suicide (apoptosis) and in starving tumors of blood supply.   It seems apparent that cannabinoids and the body's endo-cannabinoid system have a role in suppressing cancer development in healthy individuals and so a possible role in treating cancers in unhealthy individuals.  Given that cannabinoids are very well tolerated and do not harm healthy cells, to me anyway, cannabis based medicines show great promise in this area.

Unfortunately, I have also witnessed many cases where sadly the RSO had little anti-tumor impact and the patient passed away from their cancer.  The question for a long time for those of us that have seen both outcomes has been, why?  Why is it miraculous for some and all but useless to others?

Dedi Meiri, an Israeli researcher, and his team are attempting to answer that question.  His team is compiling two databases - one a cannabis strain DB and the other a cancer patient DB - and attempting to match the cannabis strains to the types of cancer it can impact.  They are determining which strains of cannabis were effective against what types of cancers.

His research group is also now able to breakdown the RSO into all of the plant's cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids - over 150 compounds.  Once they determine effective strains against a given cancer, they cross reference to determine which of the 150 compounds within the strains were common.  In other words, they are homing in on exactly which cannabinoid, or combination of cannabinoids/terpenes/flavonoids, are the effective components in the fight.  Once determined, these compounds can be isolated, bred up, or synthesized to hopefully design an effective anti-cancer treatment.  Instead of treating all tumor types with RSO, a much more targeted approach can be tried.

The first video is sort of an informal talk but very informative.  It is 7-8 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txywY2CyfKA&t=256s

In the second video Dr Meiri talks about both cancer and autism.  It is 18 minutes long

There are concerns when using cannabis with a particular cancer treatment plan.  If you know folks getting immunotherapy to treat their cancer, they should be aware of possible interaction with cannabis treatments.

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/when-cannabis-may-complicate-cancer-treatment

From the article...

While research into the topic is still scant, studies such as the retrospective paper mentioned above have turned up concerning findings: Patients who did not receive cannabis were 3.17 times more likely to respond to immunotherapy.

The study analyzed data from the medical charts of 140 patients. The patients reviewed had been diagnosed with three types of cancer: melanoma, non-small-cell lung cancer, and renal cell carcinoma. All underwent treatment with Nivolumab, a common immunotherapy drug.  Eighty-nine patients received Nivolumab, while 51 patients received Nivolumab in conjunction with medical cannabis. The second group, who received medical cannabis, experienced lower response rates to immunotherapy (37.5% vs. 15.9%).

Patients with renal cell carcinoma and melanoma showed a particularly pronounced disparity: 40.6% of patients who received Nivolumab alone responded to the treatment, in contrast to 10% of patients who received cannabis and Nivolumab. The route, dose, and formula of cannabis did not appear to impact the response rate. Statistical analysis reveals that cannabis was the only significant factor which could have reduced the response rate to immunotherapy.

However, the study also unveiled some fascinating quirks. While the response rate to immunotherapy was affected by cannabis use, other measures such as progression-free survival and overall survival were not—progression-free survival refers to the length of time during and after treatment that a patient lives with the disease without it worsening; overall survival is the length of time a patient stays alive from the date of diagnosis or commencement of treatment.

I have recently seen several news reports about lung damage from vaping.  This is as serious as it gets as several people have perished from lung damage.

I am not a medical professional and essentially am only reporting what I have read. 

Initially I heard vape cartridge 'oil thickeners' might be to blame.  Just now I heard that a vitamin E oil additive might be the culprit.  Buyer beware!!!!   Please be careful if you are buying product from black/grey market sources.  Be careful what you are ingesting!!

8 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

I am not a medical professional and essentially am only reporting what I have read. 

You say this 77 pages in to a thread you started recommending pot for treating "disease."

It's like you were the last to find out...  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

On 9/6/2019 at 4:59 PM, Bob in Mich said:

I have recently seen several news reports about lung damage from vaping.  This is as serious as it gets as several people have perished from lung damage.

Initially I heard vape cartridge 'oil thickeners' might be to blame.  Just now I heard that a vitamin E oil additive might be the culprit.  Buyer beware!!!!   Please be careful if you are buying product from black/grey market sources.  Be careful what you are ingesting!!

A little more information on this issue

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/vape-pen-lung-disease-advice-consumers

from the article

Health officials have confirmed that among the tainted carts are ones with the brand names Chronic Carts, Dank Vapes, and West Coast Carts, but the condition is linked to multiple illicit market brands across multiple states.