Know anyone with a disease? Read this

• 2 weeks later...

Marijuana damages adolescent brains, health professionals write in op-ed

Original Article

Two health professionals penned an op-ed in The New York Times on Sunday that despite society’s shift on marijuana use, it does not change the fact that the drug is not safe for high school and college students. Kenneth L. Davis, the president and chief executive of the Mount Sinai Health System, and Mary Jeanne Kreek, the head of Laboratory of the Biology of Addictive Diseases at Rockefeller University, cited studies that show a “deleterious impact on cognitive development in adolescents.” The column said marijuana use can impair "executive function, processing speed, memory, attention span and concentration." 

“The chemical in marijuana responsible for producing mood elevation and relaxation, THC, interferes with the exchange of information between neurons,” they wrote in, Marijuana Damages Young Brains."

3 hours ago, B-Man said:

Marijuana damages adolescent brains, health professionals write in op-ed

Original Article

Two health professionals penned an op-ed in The New York Times on Sunday that despite society’s shift on marijuana use, it does not change the fact that the drug is not safe for high school and college students. Kenneth L. Davis, the president and chief executive of the Mount Sinai Health System, and Mary Jeanne Kreek, the head of Laboratory of the Biology of Addictive Diseases at Rockefeller University, cited studies that show a “deleterious impact on cognitive development in adolescents.” The column said marijuana use can impair "executive function, processing speed, memory, attention span and concentration." 

“The chemical in marijuana responsible for producing mood elevation and relaxation, THC, interferes with the exchange of information between neurons,” they wrote in, Marijuana Damages Young Brains."

Brain damage?  You know what would cure that......

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GG said:

Speaking of opiods, where's Bob's discussion of last week's news about opiod deaths in states where pot is legal?

I just found an article claiming pot decreases opioid deaths; one that says it has no impact, and one that says it increases them.

And they were all from CNN.  :lol:

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

I just found an article claiming pot decreases opioid deaths; one that says it has no impact, and one that says it increases them.

You got that progression correctly.  They rushed out with news that opiod deaths went down in pot states.  Then they really read the data and recognized that opiod deaths went up in pot states. 

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

probably all published on the same day, within hours of one another.

10 minutes ago, McGee Return TD said:

The most boring tailgate crew ever

You’re talking about the stoners right?  Because the most exciting tailgates involve copious amounts of booze, pills and powders. Weed??  Snooze fest. 

33 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

You’re talking about the stoners right?  Because the most exciting tailgates involve copious amounts of booze, pills and powders. Weed??  Snooze fest. 

This is like when 97 Rock had this countdown a number of years ago of the best party songs.  I'm thinking of big raucous singalong songs...............And, then I think it was Comfortably Numb that came in #1.  It took me awhile to figure out that it's stoners and they consider staring at a wall partying.  (And, I like Comfortably Numb and Pink Floyd.  But, wouldn't play them at a tailgate or any other party) 

1 minute ago, bbb said:

This is like when 97 Rock had this countdown a number of years ago of the best party songs.  I'm thinking of big raucous singalong songs...............And, then I think it was Comfortably Numb that came in #1.  It took me awhile to figure out that it's stoners and they consider staring at a wall partying.  (And, I like Comfortably Numb and Pink Floyd.  But, wouldn't play them at a tailgate or any other party) 

How long ago was this, that they hadn't heard Tom Petty yet?

• Haha (+1) 1

COLORADO KIDS PAY BIG PRICE FOR STATE’S DECISION TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA [UPDATED]

The returns are in on Colorado’s decision to legalize marijuana: (1) Large amounts of money are being made thanks to legalization, privately and by the state; (2) “horrible things are happening to kids.”

The quotation is from psychiatrist Libby Stuyt. She treats teens in southwestern Colorado and has studied the health effects of high-potency marijuana. Stuyt says: “I see increased problems with psychosis, with addiction, with suicide, with depression and anxiety” stemming from legalization in the state.

Stuyt’s report won’t surprise anyone who has read Alex Berensen’s book Tell Your Children, which I discussed here. Berensen noted that over the past few decades, studies around the globe have found that THC, the active compound in cannabis, is strongly linked to psychosis, schizophrenia, and violence. He interviewed far-flung researchers who have documented the contribution of THC to serious mental illness.

Now, are we seeing these effects in Colorado. Libby Stuyt’s report from ground zero is bolstered by data. The Washington Post informs us that in the Denver area, visits to Children’s Hospital Colorado facilities for treatment of cyclic vomiting, paranoia, psychosis and other acute cannabis-related symptoms jumped to 777 in 2015, from 161 in 2005. The increase was most notable in the years following legalization of medical sales in 2009 and retail use in 2014.

More at the link:

This is what I've always railed against - "it's completely harmless."....................These aholes hang their hats on people not dying on ODs of pot, but they don't give a crap about ruined lives..............How many people with psychosis wish they had ODd long ago??

2 hours ago, bbb said:

This is what I've always railed against - "it's completely harmless."....................These aholes hang their hats on people not dying on ODs of pot, but they don't give a crap about ruined lives..............How many people with psychosis wish they had ODd long ago??

6 of them 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bbb said:

How many of them think they're pit bulls now?  

How many of them drink enough to ruin their lives but still remain superior to anyone that’s touched a marijuana’s. 

How many marijuanas have you smoked ? 

Edited by Teddy KGB
  • Haha (+1) 1