Know anyone with a disease? Read this

• 3 weeks later...

Tuesday was a new high for marijuana legalization advocates.

Michigan voted to approve a ballot measure, making it the first state in the Midwest to approve recreational usage for adults, joining nine other states and the District of Columbia. Additionally, Missouri approved medicinal marijuana measures and Utah looked likely, becoming the 32nd and 33rd respective statesto do so. North Dakota’s ballot measure to legalize recreational marijuana failed, however.

http://time.com/5447176/recreational-marijuana-ballot-measures-results/

• 1 month later...

marijuana.jpg?resize=110,85&ssl=1MARIJUANA, MENTAL ILLNESS, AND CRIME

I don’t believe I’ve ever written about an article from Mother Jones before, but this one about the effects of marijuana seems well worth considering. It’s based on a book by Alex Berenson, formerly a reporter for the New York Times, called Tell Your Children.

According to Mother Jones’ Stephanie Mencimer, Berensen’s book “takes a sledgehammer to the promised benefits of marijuana legalization, and cannabis enthusiasts are not going to like it one bit.” Her discussion fully justifies this statement.

I’ve always thought that the ill-effects of long-term marijuana use resided mainly in laziness, low ambition level, and a gradual decline in ability to think analytically. But the evils Berensen alleges are of a different order of magnitude.

The book was seeded one night a few years ago when Berenson’s wife, a psychiatrist who evaluates mentally ill criminal defendants in New York, started talking about a horrific case she was handling. It was “the usual horror story, somebody who’d cut up his grandmother or set fire to his apartment—typical bedtime chat in the Berenson house,” he writes. But then, his wife added, “Of course he was high, been smoking pot his whole life.”. . .

[H]is Harvard-trained wife insisted that all the horrible cases she was seeing involved people who were heavy into weed. She directed him to the science on the subject.

Here is what Berensen found:

Cannabis has been associated with legitimate reports of psychotic behavior and violence dating at least to the 19th century, when a Punjabi lawyer in India noted that 20 to 30 percent of patients in mental hospitals were committed for cannabis-related insanity. The lawyer, like Berenson’s wife, described horrific crimes—including at least one beheading—and attributed far more cases of mental illness to cannabis than to alcohol or opium. The Mexican government reached similar conclusions, banning cannabis sales in 1920—nearly 20 years before the United States did—after years of reports of cannabis-induced madness and violent crime.

Over the past couple of decades, studies around the globe have found that THC—the active compound in cannabis—is strongly linked to psychosis, schizophrenia, and violence. Berenson interviewed far-flung researchers who have quietly but methodically documented the effects of THC on serious mental illness, and he makes a convincing case that a recreational drug marketed as an all-around health product may, in fact, be really dangerous—especially for people with a family history of mental illness and for adolescents with developing brains.

Consider a 2002 study in BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal). It found that people who used cannabis by age 15 were four times more likely to develop schizophrenia or a related syndrome than those who’d never used. Even when the researchers excluded kids who had shown signs of psychosis by age 11, they found that the adolescent users had a threefold higher risk of demonstrating symptoms of schizophrenia later on.

Or consider a 2017 report by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. It concluded that marijuana use is strongly associated with the development of psychosis and schizophrenia. The researchers also noted that there’s decent evidence linking pot consumption to worsening symptoms of bipolar disorder and to a heightened risk of suicide, depression, and social anxiety disorders: “The higher the use, the greater the risk.”

Marijuana use is up 50 percent over the past decade, so many people having become “woke” during this period. Does this significant increase in use correspond to a significant increase in psychotic diseases?

Yet, it does, according to Berensen. He reports that from 2006 to 2014, the most recent year for which data is available, the number of ER visitors co-diagnosed with psychosis and a cannabis use disorder tripled, from 30,000 to 90,000.

{snip}....much more here

With all the money to be made by corporations if the marijuana legalization movement continues to prevail, I’m pretty sure corporations and the wealthy won’t be funding the hard-hitting journalism contained in Mencimer’s piece.

On 1/10/2019 at 5:23 PM, B-Man said:

marijuana.jpg?resize=110,85&ssl=1MARIJUANA, MENTAL ILLNESS, AND CRIME

I don’t believe I’ve ever written about an article from Mother Jones before, but this one about the effects of marijuana seems well worth considering. It’s based on a book by Alex Berenson, formerly a reporter for the New York Times, called Tell Your Children.

According to Mother Jones’ Stephanie Mencimer, Berensen’s book “takes a sledgehammer to the promised benefits of marijuana legalization, and cannabis enthusiasts are not going to like it one bit.” Her discussion fully justifies this statement.

I’ve always thought that the ill-effects of long-term marijuana use resided mainly in laziness, low ambition level, and a gradual decline in ability to think analytically. But the evils Berensen alleges are of a different order of magnitude.

The book was seeded one night a few years ago when Berenson’s wife, a psychiatrist who evaluates mentally ill criminal defendants in New York, started talking about a horrific case she was handling. It was “the usual horror story, somebody who’d cut up his grandmother or set fire to his apartment—typical bedtime chat in the Berenson house,” he writes. But then, his wife added, “Of course he was high, been smoking pot his whole life.”. . .

[H]is Harvard-trained wife insisted that all the horrible cases she was seeing involved people who were heavy into weed. She directed him to the science on the subject.

Here is what Berensen found:

Cannabis has been associated with legitimate reports of psychotic behavior and violence dating at least to the 19th century, when a Punjabi lawyer in India noted that 20 to 30 percent of patients in mental hospitals were committed for cannabis-related insanity. The lawyer, like Berenson’s wife, described horrific crimes—including at least one beheading—and attributed far more cases of mental illness to cannabis than to alcohol or opium. The Mexican government reached similar conclusions, banning cannabis sales in 1920—nearly 20 years before the United States did—after years of reports of cannabis-induced madness and violent crime.

Over the past couple of decades, studies around the globe have found that THC—the active compound in cannabis—is strongly linked to psychosis, schizophrenia, and violence. Berenson interviewed far-flung researchers who have quietly but methodically documented the effects of THC on serious mental illness, and he makes a convincing case that a recreational drug marketed as an all-around health product may, in fact, be really dangerous—especially for people with a family history of mental illness and for adolescents with developing brains.

Consider a 2002 study in BMJ (formerly the British Medical Journal). It found that people who used cannabis by age 15 were four times more likely to develop schizophrenia or a related syndrome than those who’d never used. Even when the researchers excluded kids who had shown signs of psychosis by age 11, they found that the adolescent users had a threefold higher risk of demonstrating symptoms of schizophrenia later on.

Or consider a 2017 report by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. It concluded that marijuana use is strongly associated with the development of psychosis and schizophrenia. The researchers also noted that there’s decent evidence linking pot consumption to worsening symptoms of bipolar disorder and to a heightened risk of suicide, depression, and social anxiety disorders: “The higher the use, the greater the risk.”

Marijuana use is up 50 percent over the past decade, so many people having become “woke” during this period. Does this significant increase in use correspond to a significant increase in psychotic diseases?

Yet, it does, according to Berensen. He reports that from 2006 to 2014, the most recent year for which data is available, the number of ER visitors co-diagnosed with psychosis and a cannabis use disorder tripled, from 30,000 to 90,000.

{snip}....much more here

With all the money to be made by corporations if the marijuana legalization movement continues to prevail, I’m pretty sure corporations and the wealthy won’t be funding the hard-hitting journalism contained in Mencimer’s piece.

Well that’s a bunch of nonsense. 

This is equivalent to “you’ll go blind from playing with it!”

Edited by The_Dude

• 1 month later...

Interesting blog related to cannabis treatment for autism

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/cannabis-and-autism-an-informal-update-2019/

from the blog

Excellent results are attained along the full range of the autistic spectrum. Most studies for some reason favor looking at low-function children with violent outbursts. My experience show that high-functioning children respond extremely well, with an increased sharpness in their listening, presence, precision of language and more appropriate responses to humor. They feel much better as human beings and more secure in social settings. Many of these children are able to recognize the improvement as an improved connectivity between resting and executive brain states that I had suggested in an earlier communication. I have treated several dozen very young children, less than 4 years of age, with results as encouraging as those for the older children.

On 1/18/2019 at 6:21 AM, The_Dude said:

Well that’s a bunch of nonsense. 

This is equivalent to “you’ll go blind from playing with it!”

you won't go blind, but you will have wasted days of your existence

6 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

from the blog

Excellent results are attained along the full range of the autistic spectrum. Most studies for some reason favor looking at low-function children with violent outbursts. My experience show that high-functioning children respond extremely well, with an increased sharpness in their listening, presence, precision of language and more appropriate responses to humor. They feel much better as human beings and more secure in social settings. Many of these children are able to recognize the improvement as an improved connectivity between resting and executive brain states that I had suggested in an earlier communication. I have treated several dozen very young children, less than 4 years of age, with results as encouraging as those for the older children.

I tried CBD oil.  Nothing happened. 

On 3/15/2019 at 5:27 PM, bbb said:

I tried CBD oil.  Nothing happened. 

What were you hoping to treat?  Did you try a full plant extract or something labeled hemp oil or CBD distillate?  For how long did you use the product?  Approximately what was the dosage you used and how was it administered - capsule, tincture, vape, suppository, etc?

unfortunately we have so many unknowns in using cannabis due to the research restrictions. That is changing but if you want to try to use it today, one must experiment a bit.  

Cannabis should be thought of more as a class of medicine as opposed to a single medicine, similar to anti-biotics.  With thousands of strains and hundreds of cannabinoids and terpenes within a given strain, the number of variations within cannabis is huge.  Often I hear an individual say that they tried a cannabis based product but it didn’t work and therefore medical marijuana doesnt work for them.  I would suggest some personal research on your condition and then perhaps trying another strain-product-dose-delivery method-etc

On 3/15/2019 at 10:57 AM, Bob in Mich said:

from the blog

1. There is absolutely no medical justification for withholding cannabis treatment for autistic children and requiring that other agents be used first.

2. There is no justification for withholding cannabis treatment from young children.

What a ***** quack. 

• 2 weeks later...

For many years cannabis users have been prohibited from donating or receiving a transplanted organ.  The assumption in the medical community being that 'drug users' are a bad risk. 

This attitude is beginning to turn as more physicians are becoming aware of cannabis as medicine and are actually looking at available data.  It seems to show little difference in outcomes between cannabis users and non-users.  Of course as with most things cannabis, much more research is needed.

Sadly one of my favorite cousins passed recently due to liver problems.  He was on the transplant list for many years, getting booted only recently when liver cancer was found.  I found it very frustrating to watch him suffer because I was confident cannabis medicines could have provided some relief to him on a few different fronts.  With the restrictions on cannabis use for transplant patients however, he was unwilling to risk trying cannabis medicines until after he had gotten kicked off the transplant list.  By then his body was pretty well shot and he passed a few months later.

https://www.leafly.com/news/health/cannabis-and-organ-transplants

• 5 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

NBC did a segment on pregnancy and medical cannabis use. 

Before you jump all over me, I am not promoting it, just posting the NBC video.  This video is about 15 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkw7LmfNJ6o

When the first comment is this, I get annoyed:

The marijuana almost certainly better then the ?. Natural.

Everything is natural.  Cocaine, opium, alcohol, etc.  I'm sick of that reasoning.