What is better, no guns, or more guns?

I will definitely start pushing for one form of gun control- if you threaten to shoot someone or a place publicly, you should not be allowed to buy a gun. If you do this as a student you should have to go to an inpatient facility and be fully evaluated. This law would have stopped Parkland and Buffalo. Of course liberals would have to deal with the fact that the ratio of kids doing it are not even broken down by race.

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

The good guy with a gun theory is DEAD.

People who think that paying high taxes for the same government are not worth arguing with about anything. BTW the good guys with guns is only reason that Gondren did not kill a bunch more. 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I will definitely start pushing for one form of gun control- if you threaten to shoot someone or a place publicly, you should not be allowed to buy a gun. If you do this as a student you should have to go to an inpatient facility and be fully evaluated. This law would have stopped Parkland and Buffalo. Of course liberals would have to deal with the fact that the ratio of kids doing it are not even broken down by race.

People who think that paying high taxes for the same government are not worth arguing with about anything. BTW the good guys with guns is only reason that Gondren did not kill a bunch more. 

Words of wisdom from our resident “teacher” from Florduh

11 minutes ago, BillStime said:

The good guy with a gun theory is DEAD.

Completely untrue. There are way more accounts of it stopping violent acts than not. 

40 minutes ago, BillStime said:

So defensive - why is that?

Because we can disagree and have conversations/debates without being as*holes to each other. 

Just now, ArdmoreRyno said:

Completely untrue. There are way more accounts of it stopping violent acts than not. 

Because we can disagree and have conversations/debates without being as*holes to each other. 

You just told someone to F OFF - lol

22 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

So competent people with guns is a problem to you? Or are just Bills times alter ego?

If competent people with guns prevented shootings, that would be easy to prove. Just make a chart: one axis is gun ownership per capita, and the other is gun deaths per capita. 

If your assertion is correct, then the more guns in a location, the fewer gun deaths. Because everybody knows that people have guns and so they don't commit crimes.

Except, when you do this, you see that the more guns in an area, the more guns deaths in that area. The presence of guns has a positive correlation with the number of people who are killed by guns.

There are ways to mitigate this, but we are an unserious society who are happy to have kids killed in school because it fits our narrative.

• Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

If competent people with guns prevented shootings, that would be easy to prove. Just make a chart: one axis is gun ownership per capita, and the other is gun deaths per capita. 

If your assertion is correct, then the more guns in a location, the fewer gun deaths. Because everybody knows that people have guns and so they don't commit crimes.

Except, when you do this, you see that the more guns in an area, the more guns deaths in that area. The presence of guns has a positive correlation with the number of people who are killed by guns.

There are ways to mitigate this, but we are an unserious society who are happy to have kids killed in school because it fits our narrative.

Oh please show me your table showing more legal guns causes more shooting deaths by localities. You are pathetically wrong, in my area there are certainly more guns than people but not one shooting death in the 18 years I have lived in this house. In Chicago, DC, NYC there are few legal guns per Capita but much higher shooting deaths. If your argument is illegal guns cause shootings I agree but illegal guns are usually owned by bad guys 

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Oh please show me your table showing more legal guns causes more shooting deaths by localities. You are pathetically wrong, in my area there are certainly more guns than people but not one shooting death in the 18 years I have lived in this house. In Chicago, DC, NYC there are few legal guns per Capita but much higher shooting deaths. If your argument is illegal guns cause shootings I agree but illegal guns are usually owned by bad guys 

Here ya go:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3828709/

The more guns, the more people die by guns. Who could have possibly guessed?

Conclusions. We observed a robust correlation between higher levels of gun ownership and higher firearm homicide rates. Although we could not determine causation, we found that states with higher rates of gun ownership had disproportionately large numbers of deaths from firearm-related homicides.

Also, as someone who current lives in Chicago, the trope about gun laws here is very misinformed. 

~60% of guns involved in gun crimes in Chicago come from out of state. Which means that Illinois and Chicago have somewhat effective gun laws but neighboring states do not. If we had a nationwide standard that kept guns out of the hands of criminals, Chicago would have fewer gun crimes. 

Source: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/national-international/chicago-gun-trace-report-2017/27140/?amp

Anyone who uses Chicago as an example of why gun control doesn’t work is actually accidentally arguing for a national gun control law. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Here ya go:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3828709/

The more guns, the more people die by guns. Who could have possibly guessed?

Also, as someone who current lives in Chicago, the trope about gun laws here is very misinformed. 

~60% of guns involved in gun crimes in Chicago come from out of state. Which means that Illinois and Chicago have somewhat effective gun laws but neighboring states do not. If we had a nationwide standard that kept guns out of the hands of criminals, Chicago would have fewer gun crimes. 

Source: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/national-international/chicago-gun-trace-report-2017/27140/?amp

Anyone who uses Chicago as an example of why gun control doesn’t work is actually accidentally arguing for a national gun control law. 

Your table is suicides, which if not for guns would be done a different way, so a mental health issue not a gun issue. As for blaming other states for Chicago, why is the rest of Illinois not under the hail of illegal guns? 

• Agree 1

I'm pretty convinced narcissistic self-righteous elitist privileged morons immediately taking to social media to lecture us - claiming they have the answers before knowing ANYTHING about what happened (at the same time to remind us to pay attention to our kids they probably are ignoring as they scroll for hours) is somewhere in the top 5 list of everything wrong with this country.  

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Your table is suicides, which if not for guns would be done a different way, so a mental health issue not a gun issue. As for blaming other states for Chicago, why is the rest of Illinois not under the hail of illegal guns? 

I’m actually glad to talk about suicides because pro-gun people often focus the conversation on mass shootings and/or mental health when more gun deaths are due to suicide or accident. 

People who survive suicide attempts generally do not die by suicide. And aside from guns, most suicide attempts fail. So people who cut themselves or take a bunch of pills generally survive and end up not taking their own lives. 

But suicide attempts with guns are far more likely to be fatal. While some methods may have completion rates of 5-20%, suicide attempts by gun are 85%+ effective. Meaning that, in most cases, the person would survive and end up not killing themselves but because they had a gun, they did not survive and did not get that second chance.

When I look at the actual facts, what I hear you saying is my brother’s death doesn’t count or matter. Because he had a diagnosed mental condition but there were no laws that prevented him from buying a gun and blowing his brains out, that he doesn’t matter to you. And there are things I want to say about that but would probably get me kicked from the board. 

And in terms of my point about Chicago, I would suggest you consult a map and see where the most populous state in the city is versus the state lines. 

This isn’t hard. We are just making excuses to be ok with people dying. 

Edited by ChiGoose
Typo

9 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

We are just making excuses to be ok with people dying. 

I would venture to guess that there isn't a sane rational person in this country that is ok with what happened in Uvalde today...whether or not they agree with your position.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

I would venture to guess that there isn't a sane rational person in this country that is ok with what happened in Uvalde today...whether or not they agree with your position.

If they claim to not to be ok with it but oppose anything that would potentially prevent it, then I wouldn’t say they were actually not ok with it. 

If the ongoing indiscriminate killing of children isn’t enough for someone to actually want to stop it, then they are actually ok with it. 

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

If they claim to not to be ok with it but oppose anything that would potentially prevent it, then I wouldn’t say they were actually not ok with it. 

If the ongoing indiscriminate killing of children isn’t enough for someone to actually want to stop it, then they are actually ok with it. 

Who is opposing ANYTHING that would potentially prevent this??  Who are you talking about.