What is better, no guns, or more guns?

Just now, Tiberius said:

Are there fewer hunters now or something? Why so many damn deer all over the place? You hunters need to get busy on those things 

maybe stop building highways and gated communities, Rich landowners buying up farm land for development.  creating false environment where they have no predators and people cannot hunt.

Lots of factors in conservation.

your reply almost makes it sound like you support more guns.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Are there fewer hunters now or something? Why so many damn deer all over the place? You hunters need to get busy on those things 

My dad has his nuisance permit that allows him to bow hunt within village limits. Does only. Take one down, present the tag at the village office to get another tag. 

They’ve been doing this for years now and the deer population keeps going up lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

21 hours ago, LeviF said:

Similarly, I've done requals and, gasp, remedial trainings for cops who clearly didn't know a barrel from a butthole. And it's not "months" of training, the curriculum when most cops in NY went through academy includes 48 hours of firearms training.

thats crazy as thats about what one needs for an armed security licence in NYS.  would have thought the police had much higher training standards.

39 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

thats crazy as thats about what one needs for an armed security licence in NYS.  would have thought the police had much higher training standards.

Overall they do but the basic firearms curriculum has been the same for a long time. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Tiberius said:

We actually have around the same number of deer in the United States as we had hundreds of years ago. It went on a step increase from around 1900-1950 but has gone down the past 20 years again. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

We actually have around the same number of deer in the United States as we had hundreds of years ago. It went on a step increase from around 1900-1950 but has gone down the past 20 years again. 

I guess its we human that are just spreading out more and running into them! 

I remember back in the 90's the deer population got cut way down because of black tongue disease, but they sure have recovered 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I remember back in the 90's the deer population got cut way down because of black tongue disease, but they sure have recovered 

yeah. Mother nature is one mean SOB.  things like BTD and CWD tend to show up when they are over populated.

I read the deer population was much smaller till we started cutting virgin forest for farm land. 

its not that we run into them. we destroy their ecosystem then complain that they try to exist in what we crafted.

Shoot, this economy keeps craping and folks going to start taking care of the deer problem themselves.

49 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Believe they are the #1 cause of vehicle insurance claims. 

I hit one just a couple of months ago on the local turnpike one morning going to work. Fog was THICK and it just came out of no where (managed to get out of the way enough it just clipped my Jeep). Did $3200 worth of damage. It was like my 7th deer I've hit the past 10 years here in Oklahoma. They get BAD from Oct to Feb. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Believe they are the #1 cause of vehicle insurance claims. 

I hit one just a couple of months ago on the local turnpike one morning going to work. Fog was THICK and it just came out of no where (managed to get out of the way enough it just clipped my Jeep). Did $3200 worth of damage. It was like my 7th deer I've hit the past 10 years here in Oklahoma. They get BAD from Oct to Feb. 

its out of control.  not so humane for the deer either. many run off and die a few hundred feet in the woods.  

up here in NY some speculate that its due to the Coyote running them at night.  

but wouldn't explain OKC.

8 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

its out of control.  not so humane for the deer either. many run off and die a few hundred feet in the woods.  

up here in NY some speculate that its due to the Coyote running them at night.  

but wouldn't explain OKC.

The ones who have "survived" when I hit them, I always put them out of their misery (I carry my Ruger SR9c), which is better than letting them suffer in the middle or side of the road. 

Here (I live in Southern Oklahoma... lots of open wildlife and wilderness) a lot of deer will drink and eat from road ditches, causing them to be out around the highway more. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/3/2023 at 10:35 AM, BillStime said:

Watch this - an amazing summary of this thread and just about EVERY discussion with the cult.

🎯

Pretty simple answer to his question, the idea of registering a firearm could lead to confiscation down the road. No one wants to admit, it's totally possible for our government to do this.. but look at the ATF and what they are doing to 'pistol braces' right now. It was 100% legal for years and years until they decided it wasn't. Now if you don't register it, you're a felon. Either register it or turn it in. Turn it in or go to jail? That's confiscation. No one is against background checks. We have those in place already, only private sales is where we don't and the thing is... even if we had private sale backgrounds... CRIMINALS WOULD NOT DO IT (I keep beating a very dead horse on this). That's where we are going round and round in the debate. Ultimately, this only has an impact on legal gun owners. People who commit crimes don't care about laws.

• Thank you (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

WAR: Biden Adopts a Whole-Of-Government Approach in Targeting Firearm Makers, Gun Owners’ Rights.

On Tuesday, Joe Biden issued an executive order on gun control that could accurately be described as a mile wide and an inch deep.

Media and gun control groups that beforehand had been salivating over the idea that the measure would impose “universal background checks” for firearm transfers had to content themselves with a vague directive for Attorney General Merrick Garland to develop a “plan” to move in that direction.

And while the order’s other provisions were similarly vague and insubstantial, there is no doubt what it all adds up to: antagonism toward gun ownership is now the official policy of the U.S. government’s Executive Branch.

The good news for gun owners is that — after multiple rounds of anti-gun executive orders in the Obama-Biden and Biden-Harris administrations — there isn’t a lot that can plausibly be done administratively on that front that hasn’t already been done. Therefore, nothing in the latest order itself immediately or operationally limits Second Amendment rights.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/biden-adopts-a-whole-of-government-approach-in-targeting-firearm-makers-gun-owners-rights/

This is bullsh*t.

This stunt is supposed to convince us that we don't already have that right and that it's up to the government to grant it to us.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) said Senate Republicans are set to introduce on a bill on Thursday that would codify the right to bear arms for self-defense outside the home.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/senate-republicans-introduce-bill-codifying-right-bear-arms-outside-home

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Federal Judge Strikes Down Controversial California Handgun Roster Law on 2nd Amendment Grounds

By Dennis Santiago 

On Monday, March 20, District Judge Cormac Carney in Santa Anna, California struck down the state’s Handgun Roster gun control law finding it violated the right to keep and bear arms under the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

This is the latest blow to gun control advocates striking down state gun laws following a U.S. Supreme Court ruling in 2022 expanding gun rights. The repeal will take effect fourteen days following the ruling.

The State has consciously viewed the deliberate winnowing of handguns approved for sale to Californians as a policy outcome objective of Sacramento. But in 15 days, the entire inventory of decades of handgun technology improvements will become available to California gun buyers.

Overnight, handguns only available to law enforcement will again be legal for ordinary citizens to buy and own.

Advances in size, reliability, ergonomics, and safety will be on the shelves. An era will end of US manufacturers having to invest in what were called “CA models”, which tried to adapt to California’s requirements, often resulting in significant performance degrades compared to the same handgun available in the other forty-nine states

https://redstate.com/dennis_santiago/2023/03/20/federal-judge-strikes-down-controversial-california-handgun-roster-law-on-2nd-amendment-grounds-n719231

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/federal-judge-blocks-key-parts-230504893.html

In California, state law requires new handguns to have three components: A chamber load indicator, which shows whether the gun is loaded; a magazine disconnect mechanism that will stop the gun from firing if the magazine is not properly inserted; and microstamping capability so law enforcement can more easily link spent shell casings to the guns they were fired from.

"No handgun available in the world has all three of these features,” the judge wrote. “These regulations are having a devastating impact on Californians’ ability to acquire and use new, state-of-the-art handguns.”

• Like (+1) 2

I'm pretty sure this happened in Buffalo as I saw it on the local news this morning. A 12 year-old and his friend walked into a bar, puled out a bb gun and ordered the bartender to serve them alcohol.  The bartender and patrons  restrained them until the cops appeared.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1