What is better, no guns, or more guns?

A former NBA player was sentenced to 3.5 years in prison for possessing a loaded gun

Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez announced Monday.

"This defendant exercised his right to a jury trial and was found guilty of possessing an illegal firearm," Gonzalez said in a statement. "The mandatory prison sentence he received today is required by law and he has now been held accountable for the unlawful conduct."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/13/sport/former-nba-player-gun-sentencing/index.html

That is way too harsh if the rest of his record is clean. I thought 1 year was the sentence in NYS

52 minutes ago, ALF said:

A former NBA player was sentenced to 3.5 years in prison for possessing a loaded gun

"This defendant exercised his right to a jury trial and was found guilty of possessing an illegal firearm," Gonzalez said in a statement. "The mandatory prison sentence he received today is required by law and he has now been held accountable for the unlawful conduct."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/13/sport/former-nba-player-gun-sentencing/index.html

That is way too harsh if the rest of his record is clean. I thought 1 year was the sentence in NYS

It can be much more, especially depending on other circumstances. 

THE SCIENCE IS SETTLED: I used to think gun control was the answer. My research told me otherwise.

Leah Libresco is a statistician and former newswriter at FiveThirtyEight, a data journalism site. She is the author of “Arriving at Amen.”

Before I started researching gun deaths, gun-control policy used to frustrate me. I wished the National Rifle Association would stop blocking common-sense gun-control reforms such as banning assault weapons, restricting silencers, shrinking magazine sizes and all the other measures that could make guns less deadly.

Then, my colleagues and I at FiveThirtyEight spent three months analyzing all 33,000 lives ended by guns each year in the United States, and I wound up frustrated in a whole new way. We looked at what interventions might have saved those people, and the case for the policies I’d lobbied for crumbled when I examined the evidence. The best ideas left standing were narrowly tailored interventions to protect subtypes of potential victims, not broad attempts to limit the lethality of guns.

I researched the strictly tightened gun laws in Britain and Australia and concluded that they didn’t prove much about what America’s policy should be. Neither nation experienced drops in mass shootings or other gun related-crime that could be attributed to their buybacks and bans. Mass shootings were too rare in Australia for their absence after the buyback program to be clear evidence of progress. And in both Australia and Britain, the gun restrictions had an ambiguous effect on other gun-related crimes or deaths.

When I looked at the other oft-praised policies, I found out that no gunowner walks into the store to buy an “assault weapon.” It’s an invented classification that includes any semi-automatic that has two or more features, such as a bayonet mount, a rocket-propelled grenade-launcher mount, a folding stock or a pistol grip. But guns are modular, and any hobbyist can easily add these features at home, just as if they were snapping together Legos.

As for silencers — they deserve that name only in movies, where they reduce gunfire to a soft puick puick. In real life, silencers limit hearing damage for shooters but don’t make gunfire dangerously quiet. An AR-15 with a silencer is about as loud as a jackhammer. Magazine limits were a little more promising, but a practiced shooter could still change magazines so fast as to make the limit meaningless.

The thing to understand is that gun control isn’t about saving lives.

It’s about humiliating the deplorables and keeping them in their place.

It’s culture war of the crassest kind.

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Telfair just keeps making the same mistake over and over.

3 hours ago, ALF said:

Here are the sentencing ranges for Criminal Possession of a Weapon 2nd, as a first felony offender:

A Determinate Sentence of imprisonment is mandatory. Penal Law 60.05(4). The term must be in whole or half years between 3.5 and 15 years. Penal Law 70.02(3)(b). The Determinate Sentence shall include, as a part thereof, an additional period of Post-Release Supervision of between 2 and one-half years and 5 years. Penal Law 70.00(6) and 70.45(2).

He got the minimum, which isn't bad considering that he apparently had a prior weapon conviction.

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-nba-player-sebastian-telfair-sentenced-to-35-years-in-prison-on-gun-conviction-213926987.html

Edited by Koko78

30 minutes ago, B-Man said:

THE SCIENCE IS SETTLED: I used to think gun control was the answer. My research told me otherwise.

Leah Libresco is a statistician and former newswriter at FiveThirtyEight, a data journalism site. She is the author of “Arriving at Amen.”

Before I started researching gun deaths, gun-control policy used to frustrate me. I wished the National Rifle Association would stop blocking common-sense gun-control reforms such as banning assault weapons, restricting silencers, shrinking magazine sizes and all the other measures that could make guns less deadly.

Then, my colleagues and I at FiveThirtyEight spent three months analyzing all 33,000 lives ended by guns each year in the United States, and I wound up frustrated in a whole new way. We looked at what interventions might have saved those people, and the case for the policies I’d lobbied for crumbled when I examined the evidence. The best ideas left standing were narrowly tailored interventions to protect subtypes of potential victims, not broad attempts to limit the lethality of guns.

I researched the strictly tightened gun laws in Britain and Australia and concluded that they didn’t prove much about what America’s policy should be. Neither nation experienced drops in mass shootings or other gun related-crime that could be attributed to their buybacks and bans. Mass shootings were too rare in Australia for their absence after the buyback program to be clear evidence of progress. And in both Australia and Britain, the gun restrictions had an ambiguous effect on other gun-related crimes or deaths.

When I looked at the other oft-praised policies, I found out that no gunowner walks into the store to buy an “assault weapon.” It’s an invented classification that includes any semi-automatic that has two or more features, such as a bayonet mount, a rocket-propelled grenade-launcher mount, a folding stock or a pistol grip. But guns are modular, and any hobbyist can easily add these features at home, just as if they were snapping together Legos.

As for silencers — they deserve that name only in movies, where they reduce gunfire to a soft puick puick. In real life, silencers limit hearing damage for shooters but don’t make gunfire dangerously quiet. An AR-15 with a silencer is about as loud as a jackhammer. Magazine limits were a little more promising, but a practiced shooter could still change magazines so fast as to make the limit meaningless.

The thing to understand is that gun control isn’t about saving lives.

It’s about humiliating the deplorables and keeping them in their place.

It’s culture war of the crassest kind.

You crazy Americans....  :D

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, DC Tom said:

Nobody in the US thinks that.  Not after having to choose between Trump or Clinton.

Still the best because we still had the choice.

Have you seen some of the loons in European governments?

This is an ongoing situation as of right now ( ~2:30 Pacific).
Thread.
At the moment, it seems to have been a drug bust gone bad.

Live coverage (not sure why the imbed is posting like this, but you can easily then click to watch it on YouTube directly):

The live stream is probably being reported to be on 8chan...

The above tweet doesn’t appear to have been accurate as it’s now 6pm Pacific and the situation is ongoing.

Hours later, it's finally over with the suspect giving up and exiting the home. No fatalities.

Edited by Hedge
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/10/2019 at 12:35 PM, row_33 said:

Our immigration policies have brought great societal contributors from India and Hong Kong and other Asian countries.

You have to be a contributor and invest a healthy sum to get in, for the most part.

You've got better Indian and Chinese restaurants.?

Nearly 200 House Dems Now Support Bill Outlawing All New Semiautomatic Weapons. 

“Showing absolutely no clue what she’s talking about, Florida Democrat Frederica Wilson told The Hill on Wednesday, ‘Assault weapons were designed for one purpose: to kill people in war. Ordinary citizens should not own or have access to assault weapons.’

A .22 target pistol is now an ‘assault weapon.’ Good to know, Congresscritter!”

Read the whole thing.