What is better, no guns, or more guns?

19 hours ago, Figster said:

By wrong hands I mean stolen. The FBI Database (in 2016) suggested over 2 million firearms were lost or stolen in the US over the last decade and a high number of them are used to commit more violent crimes. 

But interestingly, not shootings like the ones last week. Illegal weapons are used are more on the gang/street crime violence side.

Making it harder to get weapons used last week and in other notable mass shootings in the last decade would probably end some of those flavor of shootings. It's just a way to address one issue. 

18 hours ago, keepthefaith said:

Very complicated issue.  Constitutional rights, states rights, federal jurisdiction over some of it and very few facts in the public debate.  The issue or the challenge of reducing these incidents deserves a thorough look and if we can come up with some new rules that will help reduce gun crimes while not impeding the rights of citizens then those changes should be determined, supported by good data and implemented. 

Columbine was in 1999. Sandy Hook was in 2012. Is 20 years enough time to take meaningful action? 7?

Leader Pelosi knows she has the vast majority of the people behind her. Republicans are fighting for their corrupt (NRA) special interests 

She said in a letter sent Thursday:

I am writing in good faith to request that you call the United States Senate back into session immediately under your powers in Article II Section 3 of the Constitution to consider House-passed bipartisan gun violence prevention legislation.

One of the first acts of the new Congress was to pass the Bipartisan Background Checks Act (H.R. ? and the Enhanced Background Checks Act (H.R. 1112). H.R. 8 simply expands the existing background checks law to include guns sold at gun shows, online and through person-to-person sales. Commonsense background checks are supported by more than 90 percent of the American people and are proven to save lives. H.R. 8 was so named because it was passed eight years after the deadly attack on Congresswoman Gabby Giffords that stole six lives. The House also passed H.R. 1112, closing the dangerous Charleston loophole that enabled the tragic hate crime at Mother Emanuel Church that killed nine devout parishioners engaged in worship.

3 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

But interestingly, not shootings like the ones last week. Illegal weapons are used are more on the gang/street crime violence side.

Making it harder to get weapons used last week and in other notable mass shootings in the last decade would probably end some of those flavor of shootings. It's just a way to address one issue. 

Columbine was in 1999. Sandy Hook was in 2012. Is 20 years enough time to take meaningful action? 7?

Waco was in 1993.  Edmond was in 1986.  San Ysidro was in 1984.  Kent State was in 1970.  University of Texas was in 1966. Camden was in 1949.  Winfield was in 1903.

Is 116 years enough time to take meaningful action?

5 hours ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

What a weird story. He obviously wasn't in the store, but thank goodness he was stopped.

I think the issue remains though, that laws have to change to keep guns out of these lunatics hands in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

The entire developed world has essentially turned in their guns and are doing just fine.

This is such over the top fear mongering it's outrageous. 

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

The entire developed world has essentially turned in their guns and are doing just fine.

This is such over the top fear mongering it's outrageous. 

We literally just witnessed a backdoor coup attempt by elements of our intelligence services. 

France has been rioting against EU tyranny for almost a full calendar year. 

Hong Kong is in open revolt

To think tyranny of the state isn't a modern concern is to be living with your head in the sand.

• Like (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

We literally just witnessed a backdoor coup attempt by elements of our intelligence services. 

France has been rioting against EU tyranny for almost a full calendar year. 

Hong Kong is in open revolt

To think tyranny of the state isn't a modern concern is to be living with your head in the sand.

China isn't part of the developed western world. They're a communist country with a totalitarian regime. 

Everyone else in the developed western world has severe restrictions on guns and is doing totally fine.

There's actually an index that ranks how "free" each country in the world is. The USA is currently ranked 42nd in the world.

Countries with severe gun restrictions make up the top 10. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

China isn't part of the developed western world. They're a communist country with a totalitarian regime. 

Everyone else in the developed western world has severe restrictions on guns and is doing totally fine.

There's actually an index that ranks how "free" each country in the world is. The USA is currently ranked 42nd in the world.

We just lived through a coup attempt by our own federal government.

France is in open rebellion against tyranny of the state (the EU specifically)

We have politicians running for POTUS today calling half the country dangerous deplorables

To pretend that there is no longer tyranny of the state is to live with your head in the sand.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jrober38 said:

So let me get this straight: You believe the USA is currently ranked as the 42nd most 'free' country in the world, and your idea on how to make it more free is to take everyone's guns?

That's the  dumbest effin' thing I've read here all month, and that included a week where people were quoting Qbaby posts.

We're keeping the guns, whether you like it or not. Whine, cry or stomp your feet...we're keeping our guns.

• Like (+1) 4

Hong Kong is a developed corner that does not want to be controlled by a totalitarian state

• Like (+1) 2

You propose to make America more free by stripping citizens of additional protections of their rights?

Also, I’d love to see the weighting and metrics of that index.

• Like (+1) 2

The “rest of the world” arguments on guns, health care, taxes, etc...hold no water for me. Don’t think they hold much for most people either. 

As my parents used to say, “Well, if your friends all jumped off a bridge would you do that too?”

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, dubs said:

The “rest of the world” arguments on guns, health care, taxes, etc...hold no water for me. Don’t think they hold much for most people either. 

As my parents used to say, “Well, if your friends all jumped off a bridge would you do that too?”

jrober is a Canadian. Generally speaking they're ok to discuss football or hockey with but it's a rare Canadian that has any real knowledge of politics. They live in a nanny state where everything is actually done for them. We even protect them and they look to us as their daddy. What little rugged individualism they may have once had has been surrendered for "free" healthcare and a barcalounger.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

jrober is a Canadian. Generally speaking they're ok to discuss football or hockey with but it's a rare Canadian that has any real knowledge of politics. They live in a nanny state where everything is actually done for them. We even protect them and they look to us as their daddy. What little rugged individualism they may have once had has been surrendered for "free" healthcare and a barcalounger.

Is it a really nice Barcalounger?

22 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Rather than asking No Guns or More Guns, I'm asking myself

X95 Tavor

th?id=OIP.tA4iLztT281IbHBalfDZMAHaEt%26p

or PS90

wm_4219264.jpg&f=1

bcf011d75f2f39acf22ebe0bfb9b21f7.jpg

Yes, I realize that I just used this meme yesterday. Get over it.

Edited by Koko78
  • Haha (+1) 2