What is better, no guns, or more guns?

15 minutes ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Which celebrity will be the first to remind us of the dangers of high powered weapons by tweeting from their movie set where they are making millions of dollars glorifying such violence?

The right wing terrorism angle will probably be just as much of an issue. 

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

If the supposed manifesto is real (and I've heard it's both a hoax and that it's real so I have no idea), he's not a right or left winger. 

Anti-immigrant nut. Went to a place where Mexicans shopped. 

22 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Anti-immigrant nut. Went to a place where Mexicans shopped. 

II

19 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Meathead alert

Nothing like partisan asshattery to exploit a tragedy.

22 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

It’s anyone who does something terrible that woke leftists wish to link to the President.

He was acting on President Trumps signature issue. This is why Trump scapegoating immigrants is so dangerous. You know that. 

15 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He was acting on President Trumps signature issue. This is why Trump scapegoating immigrants is so dangerous. You know that. 

I've never heard that espoused from Trump.  I've never heard him call for mass shootings, support mass shootings, nor have I ever heard him "scapegoat" immigrants.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  I think you know that. 

7 hours ago, njbuff said:

Mental illness is rampant in the United States.

Until we are able to deal with this, these horrors will continue.

i know a lot of people wanna make this thing political, but it’s mental.

Politics has NOTHING to do with this,

Yeah it's mental.

It was a white guy. Clearly mental. Gotta focus on those "mental issues" because it's a white dude.

Can't call it terrorism. It was a white dude.

But this happens and it's not a white dude... oh how the narrative shifts

It's all just so goddamn frustrating

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

More guns! So we can all be "Super Hero" Domestic Terrorist fighters and shoot people in crossfire!

Even "better"... So when a bad guy figures out that everybody is packing... All they have to do is fire once, slink away, everybody returns fire... Cops show up thinking people are the active shooter.  Death by cops!

What a crazy concept coming to a community near you!

Absolutely not mentally ill. 

Just read the manifesto.  

He racist, he hates corporations, he hates both political parties, and hates the system.   

He's 21.  You should not have this kind of disdain for.....everything.  Something is going on with our kids that is carrying over into adulthood that is sick.  

This is not normal.  

A complete and total failure of his family and the public schools.  Literally has a list of all the things you are lied to about in schools or at least get a one sided view.  He seemed to see thru that and the anger festered.

So wait........you're not going to blame the gun? 

You're misguided if you think guns are the issue.  This country has far bigger problems than guns. 

Society is broke.  If you're anger upon hearing of the shooting was directed at the guns or the NRA, and not how our society continues to fail our own like this is mind boggling to me.  The adults have lost total control.  You want to call it domestic or white nationalist terrorism....ok.  And?  Outlaw that.  Or something.  I like to think there is a better way.  

It appears to me as an observer of society, our culture, and understanding what our kids are consuming all around them (I teach and am a father of 4) that white young men are lost and hopeless.  They often have a crappy Male role model at home or none at all.  And they often don't see a male teacher until they are in 6th grade.  This is a problem.  

Currently the most marginalized person in America are young males.  Especially poor white males.  They get from social media, the schools, media, and Hollywood that "they're inherently racist, sexist, and bigots.  They constantly hear "the future is female.....or the future is color....or the more hostile "soon white folks will be in the minority."  And it comes across from the source (most of the times deliberately) as jovial.  Like the white man has it coming or something.  

I'm not making excuses for this guy at all.  I want solutions as much as anyone else but Tim McVeigh didn't need a gun.  Neither have countless others.  

So back to the Guns.  Woman love and have access to guns just as much as men.  Many love Trump and his immigration policies just as much as the men.  Yet, they aren't doing this.  Its almost all white men. 

Makes zero sense to blame guns based on that fact alone.    

What I'm saying is he didn't kill because he wants a wall or likes Rs a little more than the Ds.  Or he really thinks the environment is doomed.   I want a wall.  I want illegal immigration stopped.  I like clean water.  

But I hold a good job and my family is supported and I listen, talk to, and discipline my kids.  The Left always supported these things we at least agreed on the importance of family being the foundation.  

This guy had no hope.  Felt no sense of purpose.  That his goals would never be attained.  That's not the gun.  Go ahead and blame racism or political rhetoric (I believe this guy said he had these feelings before Trump).  We just can't help ourselves.  The social media era that he grew up in is looking to blame before we've even determined all the facts.  Because we continue to look at everyone as being on Team Red or Team Blue looking for total victory on everything. 

We either have to start looking at each other as Americans that share basic principles and values (we aren't we've grown too far apart on many things) or society will continue to erode. 

We let this young man down.  He grew hateful and resentful as a result.  And we'll respond by saying just take the guns away.  That continues to make zero sense in light of the bigger picture.  Taking their guns away does not help them find a purpose.  Or end their hate.  Nor will it guarantee this won't happen again.  

Edited by Big Blitz