What is better, no guns, or more guns?

Read an interesting book this morning on the anthropological research in to the basis of warfare.  

One of the interesting points it makes is that anthropology rarely studies warfare as an anthropological or social activity.  Rather, it studies the tools of warfare, and confuses those with the violence of warfare itself.

It put me in mind of this whole "people don't kill people, guns kill people" argument, and made me think that just maybe they're trying to solve the wrong problem...

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Read an interesting book this morning on the anthropological research in to the basis of warfare.  

One of the interesting points it makes is that anthropology rarely studies warfare as an anthropological or social activity.  Rather, it studies the tools of warfare, and confuses those with the violence of warfare itself.

It put me in mind of this whole "people don't kill people, guns kill people" argument, and made me think that just maybe they're trying to solve the wrong problem...

Just like my old pappy used to say. "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian."

14 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

Will be curious to find out if this is fake, or if a doc really posted this online while a mother waited to hear about her dead son.

Either way...unhinged. Completely unhinged.

It Damn well better be fake , it violates all kinds of ethics.

Besides it has that liberal over dramatic stench to it...............

19 hours ago, TH3 said:

And You guys can’t wait for that moment.....right?

LOL...

Wut?

We can't wait for the government to start a massive campaign that results in the deaths of tens of thousands of law abiding gun owners?

Were you raised on a diet consisting of exclusively paint chips?

• Haha (+1) 1

The National Rifle Association recently told doctors who stray into the gun debate to “stay in their lane.” But we trauma surgeons are the direct witnesses and final chroniclers of gun violence. As I was with your son, I am too frequently the last person who speaks to loved ones. A stranger in mask and gown, their newest friend and their final companion. I want to tell you that their final words are something heartfelt, something special. In truth, the words are often sterile. Answers to questions such as “Do you have any allergies?” or “Have you ever had surgery?” We are, after all, professional. And I think — no, I hope — that is also what you want from us.

Nonetheless, it still feels callous. I know not everyone can be saved. But I ignore that logic and treat every single person who arrives before me as I would a member of my own family. I did not give up on your son until I exhausted every ounce of my training and every thread of my soul. In doing so, your son became like family to me. I will never understand the pain you are feeling, yet I find that anytime I lose a patient, I feel as if I lost someone close to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/to-the-mother-of-the-gunshot-victim-i-couldnt-save/2018/11/13/e2ceea74-e6aa-11e8-bbdb-72fdbf9d4fed_story.html?utm_term=.6ff33190014c

Just now, Tiberius said:

Doctors saving gun shot victims is stupid? 

Drunk are ya? 

What a ***** tool. See you’re so partisan you think everyone is. I was talking about the NRA tweet telling doctors to “stay in their lanes”. Boy I bet you feel real ***** stupid right about now.  

1 minute ago, Chef Jim said:

What a ***** tool. See you’re so partisan you think everyone is. I was talking about the NRA tweet telling doctors to “stay in their lanes”. Boy I bet you feel real ***** stupid right about now.  

I feel stupid because you are not clear in what you are saying? Nope. 

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

I feel stupid because you are not clear in what you are saying? Nope. 

Gee how did I know this was going to be your response. So your immediate partisan bias is somehow my fault? Let’s recap shall we?  You post an op ed piece about an NRA TWEET.  I comment on a TWEET not an op ed piece. No seriously dude. You need too feel really ***** stupid.  

On 11/14/2018 at 9:11 AM, Chef Jim said:

He hasn't felt stupid in 10 years, you think Otto's starting now?

On 11/12/2018 at 3:34 PM, Kemp said:

The more guns, the more shootings, the more dead. Pretty simple math.

Actually not that simple and completely the reverse.

try educating yourself.

https://www.amazon.com/More-Guns-Less-Crime-Understanding/dp/0226493660

On its initial publication in 1998, John R. Lott’s More Guns, Less Crime drew both lavish praise and heated criticism. More than a decade later, it continues to play a key role in ongoing arguments over gun-control laws: despite all the attacks by gun-control advocates, no one has ever been able to refute Lott’s simple, startling conclusion that more guns mean less crime. Relying on the most rigorously comprehensive data analysis ever conducted on crime statistics and right-to-carry laws, the book directly challenges common perceptions about the relationship of guns, crime, and violence. For this third edition, Lott draws on an additional ten years of data—including provocative analysis of the effects of gun bans in Chicago and Washington, D.C—that brings the book fully up to date and further bolsters its central contention.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Gee how did I know this was going to be your response. So your immediate partisan bias is somehow my fault? Let’s recap shall we?  You post an op ed piece about an NRA TWEET.  I comment on a TWEET not an op ed piece. No seriously dude. You need too feel really ***** stupid.  

Ya, my partisan bias. 

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

He hasn't felt stupid in 10 years, you think Otto's starting now?

What's up Trump defender? What? 

Wisconsin Glassware Company Gifts Employees With Handguns for Christmas

Original Article

A company in Wisconsin that produces glassware will be gifting all of its employees with handguns for Christmas to promote safety. According to the Appleton Post-Crescent, shot glass-maker BenShot decided on the ironic gift to promote team building as well.

• Like (+1) 3