What is better, no guns, or more guns?

It is a coordinated response....................

“Stand up to those gun nuts” is a tribal argument. It essentially contends, “we are the good people, and they are the bad people; everyone who does not associate with our side is a terrible person who deserves scorn.” http://bit.ly/2EFTpYL

When you celebrate a communist & convicted cop-killer but think a law abiding gun rights group is dangerous

https://twitter.com/womensmarch/status/966040416440209410 

Dallas official calls on NRA to find new city for national convention in May

http://bit.ly/2CaIftB

Sean DavisVerified account @seanmdav 53m53 minutes ago

I refuse to defer to the "expertise" of those who believe a bayonet lug (not even a bayonet!) and "the shoulder thing that goes up" somehow make a firearm more assault.

When you try and fail to convince people, you're only trying to limit one amendment

3 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

They don't want you to have freedom.  They want you to live by their dictates, which they've determined to be better for you than freedom.

If we're talking about the so called elites in the government and in the media I would agree and seeing those types of statements from them doesn't surprise me (although I don't think I've seen any elected official publicly make such a declaration.) But  when I see those arguments made by average joes who I know personally and some of whom I consider good friends, I would hope that they value freedom and just don't realize theyre making an anti freedom argument, but anymore I'm not so sure about some of them either.

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I took a quick look at all the mass school shootings since Columbine.  In only one was the shooter not identified as "socially isolated," "outcast," or "bullied" before the shooting took place.  And they still can't figure out a reason for the one outlier.

It's a really straightforward profile, fairly easy to identify and mitigate.  There's not a lot of ambiguity to it.

You know someone who is outcast. Are you reaching out to him and being kind to him today? 

Ask yourself that every day and we'll solve a lot more than gun problems. 

18 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I took a quick look at all the mass school shootings since Columbine.  In only one was the shooter not identified as "socially isolated," "outcast," or "bullied" before the shooting took place.  And they still can't figure out a reason for the one outlier.

It's a really straightforward profile, fairly easy to identify and mitigate.  There's not a lot of ambiguity to it.

but you have the right to demand society see you as whatever you describe yourself as, to a certain point

Edited by row_33

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

but you have the right to demand society see you as whatever you describe yourself as, to a certain point

Well, yeah, you've identified an important part of the problem.

We're working as a society to redefine things away from being "a mental illness", which makes them much harder to treat.  Keep in mind, I did not say "reduces cases of mental illness", I said "more mentally ill going without treatment".

21 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Add an element of herostratic fame and the profile is complete.  

I'm a gun owner and an NRA member. I'm all for expanded background checks that'd include information on PFAs and involuntary commitments due to c&pd. I'm also supportive of a minimum 21 years of age to buy any firearm and every transaction gets a check, no matter what.

None of those things restricts a law abiding citizen, a phrase often commonly used, from buying all the guns we'd like.

What the NRA is doing isn't working. What the anti-gun folks are doing isn't working either. While they fight, the dangerously ill plot and wait for their moment.

• Like (+1) 1

Like I said before. I don’t know much about guns so let me ask you this. If you live an average size house and needed to defend yourself with an AR-15 are the odds higher that the bullets may go through the drywall and hit one or your own than it is with a handgun? 

3 hours ago, Chandemonium said:

If we're talking about the so called elites in the government and in the media I would agree and seeing those types of statements from them doesn't surprise me (although I don't think I've seen any elected official publicly make such a declaration.) But  when I see those arguments made by average joes who I know personally and some of whom I consider good friends, I would hope that they value freedom and just don't realize theyre making an anti freedom argument, but anymore I'm not so sure about some of them either.

With rare exception, first and foremost they want your guns.  It's the same argument we've been having forever.  Your friends are monarchists.  They may not realize it, but they are.  They have an idea about how people should live, and they want to force people to live that way, and they don't want people to be able to resist their brand of "trust me, I know better" tyranny, so they want your guns.  And they want them so badly that they're willing to stand on the bodies of dead children to tell you so.

14 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

With rare exception, first and foremost they want your guns.  It's the same argument we've been having forever.  Your friends are monarchists.  They may not realize it, but they are.  They have an idea about how people should live, and they want to force people to live that way, and they don't want people to be able to resist their brand of "trust me, I know better" tyranny, so they want your guns.  And they want them so badly that they're willing to stand on the bodies of dead children to tell you so.

You’re pretty much on point until the very end. “Stand on the bodies of dead children”. If you can’t talk about gun violence after a shooting then when can you? The kids at the school are telling us now is the time. That’s ridiculous.

We should try that in all facets of life. When my kids do something wrong I won’t talk to them about it for a few days. When a cop pulls me over for speeding I’ll just tell him now isn’t the time. When my loved ones pass away we won’t have a funeral for a few months. When the Bills hold we’ll just tell the refs not now. 

8 minutes ago, Justice said:

You’re pretty much on point until the very end. “Stand on the bodies of dead children”. If you can’t talk about gun violence after a shooting then when can you? The kids at the school are telling us now is the time. That’s ridiculous.

We should try that in all facets of life. When my kids do something wrong I won’t talk to them about it for a few days. When a cop pulls me over for speeding I’ll just tell him now isn’t the time. When my loved ones pass away we won’t have a funeral for a few months. When the Bills hold we’ll just tell the refs not now. 

The Pats have cornered the market on the last one.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, B-Man said:

When you try and fail to convince people, you're only trying to limit one amendment

But the problem is, it is not in fact about just 1 amendment. Just look at all the attacks on speech, religion, assembly, and even press. The First and Second are arguably the most important of all of them, with the second the guarantee of all the rest. Limit or erase it, the first will soon follow along with the rest of the Constitution. We are at the end of generations of government school indoctrination against these very amendments. 

I went to school in the 70s, and it was not unusual to see guns in the back seat or on racks. Heck, we were going hunting after school. Almost every guy carried a pocket knife (and some gals too). Now we arrest kids for a butter knife or for chewing his pop tart into an L shape cause it resembles a gun. Moral of the story is, progressives are winning the hearts and mind of our kids, and because of this, we WILL eventually lose the Constitution. Just not while I live....... 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Cinga said:

But the problem is, it is not in fact about just 1 amendment. Just look at all the attacks on speech, religion, assembly, and even press. The First and Second are arguably the most important of all of them, with the second the guarantee of all the rest. Limit or erase it, the first will soon follow along with the rest of the Constitution. We are at the end of generations of government school indoctrination against these very amendments. 

I went to school in the 70s, and it was not unusual to see guns in the back seat or on racks. Heck, we were going hunting after school. Almost every guy carried a pocket knife (and some gals too). Now we arrest kids for a butter knife or for chewing his pop tart into an L shape cause it resembles a gun. Moral of the story is, progressives are winning the hearts and mind of our kids, and because of this, we WILL eventually lose the Constitution. Just not while I live....... 

I agree completely. It does little good to bring it up in the immediate aftermath of tragedies such as this, because emotions are understandably so high. Most people have a pretty weak understanding of our constitutional liberties - that they are bestowed by our creator, and can not be infringed upon. Most seem to think that the government grants us our liberty, and that it would be a simple matter for Washington to "fix the gun problem" if only the NRA wasn't serving the interests of the gun lobby and ignorant rednecks. 

What they do not stop to consider is that if the right to keep and bear arms is restricted by government action, then that sets the precedent for limiting other liberties as well. All of a sudden a lot of people who say things like "I don't see any need for normal people to own assault-type weapons" will find others saying things like "I don't see why anyone should be able to say things like that in public".

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Cinga said:

:beer:

People forget, the Bill of Rights aren't given to us by government, they're given to us by the creator. They're inalienable - any talk of changing them is to miss the point of them entirely. 

It's why I've been a blowhard on here for years now about 4th and 5th amendment rollbacks with regards to the unchecked surveillance state.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Justice said:

If you want to weaponize dead children politically, that's on you.

1 hour ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

If you want to weaponize dead children politically, that's on you.

You didn’t answer the question. When is it ok? Because we all know the next one is coming soon. It’s like a restaurant. You have to make reservations. 

15 minutes ago, Justice said:

You didn’t answer the question. When is it ok? Because we all know the next one is coming soon. It’s like a restaurant. You have to make reservations. 

Like I said, you're the one who thinks it's appropriate to build a soap box from the corpses of babies in order to grab guns.  That's all I need to know about a person's "argument".

8 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Like I said, you're the one who thinks it's appropriate to build a soap box from the corpses of babies in order to grab guns.  That's all I need to know about a person's "argument".

Hide your guns! They are coming to get them! The government is coming for you all. 

Edited by thebug

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

Your 2nd amendment is unique and makes me wonder sometimes, but it’s what The People want and passionately defend.

It's not a question of what "The People" want. It's what we've been endowed with by our creator. "What people want" has nothing to do with it. We defend it because nobody has the authority to take it away. Period.

• Like (+1) 1