Should the NFL expand?

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL expand?

• Yes. More teams, more better.
    • Yes. But keep it in North America. Too many timezones is bad.
    • No.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the real question is not should they but instead WILL the NFL expand?

The answer to that question is unequivocally YES!

This true for several reasons:

1. The current NFL team owners will make (and actually maximize the money they get by expanding the league. The more eyeballs that watch the more commercials get sold and the NFL collects more $ gfvrom by far their largest cash source the TV nets. The NFL wants the game in Mexico City, in South America and actually in different timezones like Europe and even the big kahuna China wiith its a brning free market.

2. The reality in life is that if one does not grow one dies. The goal of the NFL is to remain the $1 sport in America and to try to rival soccer as the #1 sport in the world. The NFL may not make it to command more eyeballs than soccer but does anyone out there think the NFL plan is to try to be #2.

Kids aren't playing football as much as before. That would mean less talent down the road. There won't be enough for 32 teams.

Im with you. It seems we may have somewhat a supply shortage in the future. Many people I am close with have recently had kids and I hear "theyll never play football" a lot. I also dont see other countries putting together any meaningful football programs in the foreseeable future.

With that said, is less talent overall necessarily a bad thing? One thing I like about NCAA football is the division in talent and it allows for some breakdowns/variability. In the NFL, everyone is the same. Every team plays generally the same style, and the players are all thoroughbreds and usually just cancel one another out.

And, if so, by how much? How many teams? To where? Europe? Mexico? Just the U.S.?

This was brought up in another thread, and I thought it might deserve a thread of its own. Should the league expand? My initial thought is, sure, why not? But, there are plenty of things to consider. As I see it (and I hope others will add to this list) the pros, and cons are as follows:

Pros:

1) Longer playoff season!

2) Immediately gives a boost to whichever local economies get a team.

3) There are few downsides to having an NFL team in your city.

4) Helps assure that the Bills never leave Buffalo.

5) Something else for billionaires to spend their money on.

6) More parking lots for people to tailgate in.

7) Potentially moves the NFL back in the direction of local pride, and hometown heroism.

Cons:

1) Could more than 32 teams be too many teams?

2) For several years, at least, the newly formed teams would be at a disadvantage. The league would become more lopsided.

3) The overall skill level of the league would be diminished, or diluted.

4) Would lower the percentage of elite players.

5) Too many teams to keep track of.

6) Brett Favre, or Terrell Owens might come out of retirement.

7) What if Paris gets a team? Could there be anything more obnoxious than a French football fan?

My mom was French - born and raised in the suburbs of Paris. And she was the nicest, saintliest person I've ever known. Not sure what false assumptions you're writing under.

My mom was French - born and raised in the suburbs of Paris. And she was the nicest, saintliest person I've ever known. Not sure what false assumptions you're writing under.

Jeez, I was just making a joke. I'm sure Brett Favre, and Terrell Owens are nice people, too.

I'd actually think that doing something along the lines of the english soccer leagues would be a really good idea. Add 8 football teams, then you have two interconnected leagues of 20 teams each. At the end of the year, the three worst teams in the upper tier league get demoted to the lower league, who are replaced by the three best teams from the lower league. That way the better teams are all going against each other and the league stays competitive without crappy blow out games that people knew who was the victor before the game was even played, like the Broncos vs Jaguars game last year, or something equally ridiculous. Even the teams at the bottom of the league have a reason to keep fighting deep into the season so that they don't get demoted.

I'd actually think that doing something along the lines of the english soccer leagues would be a really good idea. Add 8 football teams, then you have two interconnected leagues of 20 teams each. At the end of the year, the three worst teams in the upper tier league get demoted to the lower league, who are replaced by the three best teams from the lower league. That way the better teams are all going against each other and the league stays competitive without crappy blow out games that people knew who was the victor before the game was even played, like the Broncos vs Jaguars game last year, or something equally ridiculous. Even the teams at the bottom of the league have a reason to keep fighting deep into the season so that they don't get demoted.

You've obviously never heard of the phrase: "On Any Given Sunday"

Edited by Mark Vader

Right now, no. The NFL is perfectly fine the way it is. Down the road, possibly. It would have to be in such a way though that doesn't create an imbalance in terms of schedule. The soccer model? I don't know. We're certainly not going to an "A" and "B" tier system where you suddenly take half of the NFL and start calling them B-tier. I might get on board though for a farm league type system that mirrors the NFL on a team by team basis. In this way, each NFL team would have much greater opportunity in moving players between systems. Sort of like the current "practice squad" thing that teams do, but on an expanded basis with full schedule of games, etc.

Right now, no. The NFL is perfectly fine the way it is. Down the road, possibly. It would have to be in such a way though that doesn't create an imbalance in terms of schedule. The soccer model? I don't know. We're certainly not going to an "A" and "B" tier system where you suddenly take half of the NFL and start calling them B-tier. I might get on board though for a farm league type system that mirrors the NFL on a team by team basis. In this way, each NFL team would have much greater opportunity in moving players between systems. Sort of like the current "practice squad" thing that teams do, but on an expanded basis with full schedule of games, etc.

The costs of a farm system have to come out of someone's pockets. I don't think the NFLPA wants to dilute the money pool too much. And let's not even talk about what the owners would have to do logistically to create and provide for it. Colleges too would lose millions and millions of dollars and it would have immense impact on whole communities that base their very subsistence on it, socially, culturally and economically. So I would think, no way. The NCAA/civic lawyers would have a field day.

Baseball has seen major decline in the past few years, do you really want football's future marketing plan to be based on that model?

The costs of a farm system have to come out of someone's pockets. I don't think the NFLPA wants to dilute the money pool too much. And let's not even talk about what the owners would have to do logistically to create and provide for it. Colleges too would lose millions and millions of dollars and it would have immense impact on whole communities that base their very subsistence on it, socially, culturally and economically. So I would think, no way. The NCAA/civic lawyers would have a field day.

Baseball has seen major decline in the past few years, do you really want football's future marketing plan to be based on that model?

This

Minor league baseball has been wrecked over the past 20 years. All semblance of competition has been stripped away. Just look at milb. Everything is marketed for every single game with the exception of baseball itself. Star wars night, dog night, zombie night, kids day, etc. But never baseball night.

It is awful and is eroding the sport in this country

Edited by May Day 10

Minor league baseball has been wrecked over the past 20 years. All semblance of competition has been stripped away. Just look at milb. Everything is marketed for every single game with the exception of baseball itself. Star wars night, dog night, zombie night, kids day, etc. But never baseball night.

It is awful and is eroding the sport in this country

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.