Should the NFL expand?

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL expand?

• Yes. More teams, more better.
    • Yes. But keep it in North America. Too many timezones is bad.
    • No.

A B League that would allow anyone over 18 to play? Then the guys that don't really want to go to college (and therefore don't really go or take joke classes) can pursue their dreams at a lower skill level to start, potentially.

If you pursue a B-League contract and are under the age of 20 you cannot enter the NFL until your 21st birthday, or 4 years removed from earning your High School Diploma or GED.

The pay would be peanuts, disirregardless, so it's not like a player could go to the B-league and get by until the bigs get'm.

Military vets get an extra $5-10k a year.

And, teams could sign college players no earlier then Feb-whatever one week after the Super Bowl is...

Edited by jboyst62

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They want to expand to Canada, Mexico, and London and I think they will within the next 15 years. And they will play to mostly empty stadiums like what happened when MLB and the NBA tried to infiltrate Canada.

They want to expand to Canada, Mexico, and London and I think they will within the next 15 years. And they will play to mostly empty stadiums like what happened when MLB and the NBA tried to infiltrate Canada.

Exactly. It'll be like Southern NHL teams. But worse. Because Southern hockey teams draw crowds from displaced Northerners.

I'm all for expansion in the United States only. This is a huge country and to say that the talent would be diluted significantly if they had 36 teams instead of 32 is hogwash. Just more opportunity for the underdog stories that Americans love.

Let Canada and Europe grow their own leagues. If some years down the road their Eurocanuck champion wants to showdown with our Super Bowl winner I'll be watching.

Let Los Angeles and Portland have teams so Seattle and the other west teams don't have to travel as much.

As long as the Bills are left alone, who cares?

Edited by BUNCH OF MULARKEY

Guys - the NFL is going to grow, and to think any traditionalists will keep that from happening will not deter this business from going now at 9 Bil to 20 Bil in the next 10 years.

Whether we like it or not we'll eventually have teams in Europe, possibly Canada and Mexico. It won't be tomorrow, but it will happen. NFL Europe was an experiment to broaden the sport to Europe. It wasn't to develop the players.

Whether we like it or not we'll have a team or teams in Germany and then UK. Germany embraced with NFL Europe more than any other country.

That's not my wish, but a business reality. I like the 32 teams as it stands, but can see figuring out a way to grow to 40 someday over 15 years. The owners can also go after Europe TV dollars.

At the end of the day, we all just want to keep our Bills in Buffalo, and they'll figure out the rest. I still maintain that will happen.

A 12 team B-League would be a lot of fun. Go back to the original NFL days, to some of the small towns it started in, too.

Locations like:

Akron-Canton Pro Dogs

Muncie Flyers

Rock Island Independents

Brooklyn Lions

Louisville Colonels

Providence Steam Roller

Kenosha Maroons

Los Angeles Buccaneers

Add 4 more teams scattered around...and yeah

edit: Birmingham, Salt Lake, Kenneweck, WA, Peublo, CO

There ain't no one living there, in between that Seahawk spot and the other side...

us-population-map.gif

That's a good idea...

"There ain't no one living there". That has to be on the TBD top 10 redneck statements!!!

Nope. If anything there's not enough qb talent already

There are 32 teams and only 5 elite QB's. Another 10 are good. The rest are barely adequate or too soon to tell. If anything the answer is bigger rosters. They should add 3-5 roster spots. This would allow teams to truly develop a couple of players. Prevent situations like the Bills going into the season with just Tuel time as the back-up QB.

Agree totally on the QBs. I'm not sure how much another few roster spots would help the QB pool, but it sure wouldn't hurt.

I think they should expand to LA. It is the only way that the people will really embrace the team. Otherwise they will be looking at a retread that they will support, but not like a totally fresh start. You would need to balance, so I'd say Portland, Austin or Toronto.

Edited by SF Bills Fan

NO!

The demographics don't show where people live that actually have an interest in the NFL. It also misses the fact that pro sports are so expensive now they're, given a choice, families may want to spend their dollars some other way.

As example; S California (LA). A lot of people there BUT bull fighting would sell out before any NFL game would. Europe didn't work, Canada has the CFL. Teams complain about flying across the USA too much, so it's not realistic to expand beyond that.

There were about 3-4 teams in WNY, depending on how far East you consider Western New York.

edit:

Buffalo All Americans / Bisons

Rochester Jeffersons

Tonawanda Kardex

a lot of the people I talk to who live in NYC or there abouts, they call upstate NY anything 15 miles west of the river.

upstate to me is North of Syracuse, Western NY is anything west of Syracuse

also, isn't it difficult enough to find good to great QB's and such with 32 teams?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

There are 32 teams and only 5 elite QB's. Another 10 are good. The rest are barely adequate or too soon to tell. If anything the answer is bigger rosters. They should add 3-5 roster spots. This would allow teams to truly develop a couple of players. Prevent situations like the Bills going into the season with just Tuel time as the back-up QB.

Now this makes a lot of sense. While we're at it, how about getting rid of the inactive list? Honestly, what purpose does that list serve?

Yes, the NFL should expand.

Canada is not a football nation, they are Hockey first and foremost, no reason to waste an expansion into a market that will take more than a generation to garner the proper support to sustain what the NFL is looking for when there are viable markets here in the US.

Remember, Canadian public access to athletics is primarily hockey, football is secondary at best.

Mexico? Really? No, I'm serious, Really?

Who in their right mind would want to open up in that market given the nations turmoil with the drug cartels and it's more than apparent inability to offer any security what so ever to an event like an NFL game given the nations violence combined with it's massive corruption that facilitates that violence at multiple levels. This is a sports eutopians pipe dream at best. Forget it, not going to happen in the long range future let alone short range.

There are markets here in the US that can be expanded in to, keep it here.