Should the NFL expand?

72 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NFL expand?

• Yes. More teams, more better.
    • Yes. But keep it in North America. Too many timezones is bad.
    • No.

And, if so, by how much? How many teams? To where? Europe? Mexico? Just the U.S.?

This was brought up in another thread, and I thought it might deserve a thread of its own. Should the league expand? My initial thought is, sure, why not? But, there are plenty of things to consider. As I see it (and I hope others will add to this list) the pros, and cons are as follows:

Pros:

1) Longer playoff season!

2) Immediately gives a boost to whichever local economies get a team.

3) There are few downsides to having an NFL team in your city.

4) Helps assure that the Bills never leave Buffalo.

5) Something else for billionaires to spend their money on.

6) More parking lots for people to tailgate in.

7) Potentially moves the NFL back in the direction of local pride, and hometown heroism.

Cons:

1) Could more than 32 teams be too many teams?

2) For several years, at least, the newly formed teams would be at a disadvantage. The league would become more lopsided.

3) The overall skill level of the league would be diminished, or diluted.

4) Would lower the percentage of elite players.

5) Too many teams to keep track of.

6) Brett Favre, or Terrell Owens might come out of retirement.

7) What if Paris gets a team? Could there be anything more obnoxious than a French football fan?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO!

32 teams is plenty. We have the perfect amount of teams divided into the right number of divisions.

The 4 team divisions is far better than the original 5 team divisions, because that freed up two games where your not playing the same old division foe again, and you were playing 2 different teams more often. Which to me is a lot more exciting.

Also the NFL has tapped most if not all of the major markets, who else out there can properly support an NFL team. And forget the European cities. Expanding the league into Europe is a terrible idea.

NO!

32 teams is plenty. We have the perfect amount of teams divided into the right number of divisions.

The 4 team divisions is far better than the original 5 team divisions, because that freed up two games where your not playing the same old division foe again, and you were playing 2 different teams more often. Which to me is a lot more exciting.

Also the NFL has tapped most if not all of the major markets, who else out there can properly support an NFL team. And forget the European cities. Expanding the league into Europe is a terrible idea.

Completely agree with your last paragraph!! Soccer is so huge over there, American Football would never succeed...

Ok- I agree with everything else too...

There are 32 teams and only 5 elite QB's. Another 10 are good. The rest are barely adequate or too soon to tell. If anything the answer is bigger rosters. They should add 3-5 roster spots. This would allow teams to truly develop a couple of players. Prevent situations like the Bills going into the season with just Tuel time as the back-up QB.

A 12 team B-League would be a lot of fun. Go back to the original NFL days, to some of the small towns it started in, too.

Locations like:

Akron-Canton Pro Dogs

Muncie Flyers

Rock Island Independents

Brooklyn Lions

Louisville Colonels

Providence Steam Roller

Kenosha Maroons

Los Angeles Buccaneers

Add 4 more teams scattered around...and yeah

edit: Birmingham, Salt Lake, Kenneweck, WA, Peublo, CO

Just for some perspective-- a map of NFL teams. The Seahawks sure look lonely out there.

http://en.wikipedia....FL_Labelled_Map

There ain't no one living there, in between that Seahawk spot and the other side...

us-population-map.gif

Edited by jboyst62

I don't think that will change anyone's stance.

I don't think it will, either. But, I think it's interesting. I had never bothered to look at the NFL geographically in that way before. I hadn't really considered how isolated the Seahawks are from the rest of the NFL.

Honestly, I'm fairly ambivalent to the issue. I think there are several cities that could support a team. I think there's an upside to expanding. And, as I mentioned in another thread, there are ways the league has changed over the decades that I lament. It was once much more of an everyman's blue-collar game. (I think) Maybe I'm just being sentimental.

A 12 team B-League would be a lot of fun. Go back to the original NFL days, to some of the small towns it started in, too.

Locations like:

Akron-Canton Pro Dogs

Muncie Flyers

Rock Island Independents

Brooklyn Lions

Louisville Colonels

Providence Steam Roller

Kenosha Maroons

Los Angeles Buccaneers

There ain't no one living there, in between that Seahawk spot and the other side...

us-population-map.gif

Good post. Some context to the geographical perspective.

Locations like:

Akron-Canton Pro Dogs

Muncie Flyers

Rock Island Independents

Brooklyn Lions

Louisville Colonels

Providence Steam Roller

Kenosha Maroons

Los Angeles Buccaneers

edit: Birmingham, Salt Lake, Kenneweck, WA, Peublo, CO

us-population-map.gif

You forgot the Tonawanda Kardex.

You forgot the Tonawanda Kardex.

There were about 3-4 teams in WNY, depending on how far East you consider Western New York.

edit:

Buffalo All Americans / Bisons

Rochester Jeffersons

Tonawanda Kardex

Edited by jboyst62

A B League that would allow anyone over 18 to play? Then the guys that don't really want to go to college (and therefore don't really go or take joke classes) can pursue their dreams at a lower skill level to start, potentially.

A B League that would allow anyone over 18 to play? Then the guys that don't really want to go to college (and therefore don't really go or take joke classes) can pursue their dreams at a lower skill level to start, potentially.

That would never work. However, UDFA players, late round draft picks, etc, could develop. And play during the NFL offseason. I love football, and miss it about 2 weeks after the the Super Bowl. I even decide to give Arena Football a chance every year, and regret it. I would watch any team play just to fill that void, but if I could watch a team where there are Bills prospects, I'd even have a rooting interest.